Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lubi: Wubi for Linux: Install *ubuntu on any Linux, no partitioning needed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Lubi: Wubi for Linux: Install *ubuntu on any Linux, no partitioning needed

Thought I'd report on my progress (or lack thereof) with Lubi in Sabayon on my Gateway CX210X. I got it installed, but every time it tried booting the X server would crash and I was unable to resolve that with any of the methods I tried. I changed display devices, attempted to change drivers, but was unable to install new video drivers because for some reason the onboard NIC in my laptop was unable to properly get an IP, I got an IRQ error. The only way I got it to boot was in VGA mode, but no distro released recently is optimized for it and so I couldn't see half of the information that was trying to be displayed so I gave up. I've booted an Ubuntu LiveDVD on the laptop without any issues so I know the hardware support is there, not quite sure what the issue is.
    Interesting issue... this Ubuntu LiveDVD you booted with, is it a standard Feisty (Ubuntu 7.04) version? Or is it an older Edgy (6.10) or Dapper (6.06LTS) release? I've heard that there were some regressions on Xorg support for some ATI cards in Feisty, that might be the issue... Also, is it a CD or DVD? The standard Ubuntu disks aren't on DVDs, but on CDs... perhaps you were using the "Ultimate Edition" or some similar version with extra bundled drivers (fglrx, in particular)? My guess would be that your Radeon card isn't supported by Feisty, only through the fglrx drivers (included in unofficial Ubuntu DVD versions, and Sabyon by default) or maybe by the default drivers of some older Ubuntu versions... Maybe the same issue would be the same with the networking...

Unless the issue has something to do with the partitioning scheme and the mounting process in booting, which apparently worked, Lubi/Wubi shouldn't technically be the cause of these issues, since it just uses the standard Ubuntu d-i code used in the installer...

Have you tried doing a sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and selected a different resolution, or tried the "vesa" or "radeon" driver? Those might help with the video card issues... Apart from that, I have no clue, if you were using a different version of Ubuntu than 7.04 as your live disk, or some unofficial DVD version, could you try booting with the Ubuntu 7.04 Desktop CD, to see if it really is a bug with the Wubi/Lubi/Lupin hardware configuration process, or is just a general Feisty hardware regression issue?

2 other potential issues: 1) Are you using LVM on your Sabayon install? Lubi won't work if you are... 2) Did you use the alternate i386 k/x/ubuntu iso, and verified its MD5sums for corruption?
    Last edited by tuxcantfly; May 30th, 2007 at 08:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

i use ubuntu edgy and would like to install fiesty using lubi. i have a copy of the iso on my home folder and want to install. i don't want it to redownload the iso can you help me thanks
    Be ye reconciled unto God
    Gimp Tutorial http://ryanler.wordpress.com/2007/02/01/16/

Beans
    Distro

i use ubuntu edgy and would like to install fiesty using lubi. i have a copy of the iso on my home folder and want to install. i don't want it to redownload the iso can you help me thanks
    First of all, make sure you're using the feisty alternate iso, NOT the desktop one. The filename should be ubuntu-7.04-alternate-i386.iso, if you have something else you're out of luck, you'll need to let Lubi download the right one. Wubi/Lubi/Lupin doesn't support the desktop/live version yet, just the alternate, due to the lack of ubiquity automation, which will only be completed in gutsy.

When you start the script, a dialog should pop up asking if you want to to download the iso or use your own iso; select the use your own iso option, and give it the file location in the browser dialog that pops up, and that's all you'll need. Again, this will ONLY work on alternate isos, not on the desktop ones.

Beans

hey tux, great tut! say i wanted to use Dreamlinux as a guest OS, what custom version of lupin would i need?

Beans
    Distro

hey tux, great tut! say i wanted to use Dreamlinux as a guest OS, what custom version of lupin would i need?
    Someone would need to run the lupin build script on the targeted platform once, so that there would be a lupin binary for that particular kernel (we only currently have a build for feisty's kernel 2.6.20)...

EDIT: Seems like Dreamlinux is only available in a livecd... Could anyone point me to the alternate, or install-only iso (I can only find a livecd on their site); Lupin (the backend for both Lubi and Wubi) only currently supports distros that have d-i, that is ubuntu and debian, and distros based on them...
    Last edited by tuxcantfly; July 6th, 2007 at 08:18 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly View Post
    Someone would need to run the lupin build script on the targeted platform once, so that there would be a lupin binary for that particular kernel (we only currently have a build for feisty's kernel 2.6.20)...

EDIT: Seems like Dreamlinux is only available in a livecd... Could anyone point me to the alternate, or install-only iso (I can only find a livecd on their site); Lupin (the backend for both Lubi and Wubi) only currently supports distros that have d-i, that is ubuntu and debian, and distros based on them...
    I think Dream only comes as a livecd... but its based on debian etch if it makes any difference...

Will lupin support linuxmint as a guest? since mint is based on feisty? thanks

Beans
    Distro

Will lupin support linuxmint as a guest? since mint is based on feisty? thanks
    Not that either... They don't supply an alternate iso, only a livecd image (make sure to tell us if there is one, though) (only the installer, not livecd isos are supported), but then again, in the gutsy version, it probably will, due to ubiquity-automation (which allows ubiquity to be used in a d-i interface, so lupin would work on the livecds with ubiquity-automation), but that's not in feisty...

Beans
    Distro

This guide is currently broken due to the latest revisions in lupin, I've finished the code adaptions but haven't yet updated the entire guide... Here's a temporary guide...

the deb package is at:
    http://cutlersoftware.com/ubuntusetu...ubi_68_all.deb

the command to install is:
    Code:
    sudo lubi
    the command to remove is:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --purge lubi

Beans
    Distro

I've moved the downloads to sourceforge (more bandwidth than cutlersoftware), releases will now be at http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=198821 and a website is in the works...

Beans
    Distro

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast