Thread: Red Hat and Microsoft: Will Red Hat do it right?

Beans

Red Hat and Microsoft: Will Red Hat do it right?

Most of you pobably read about the Novell/Microsoft deal.
    It caused an huge uproar around the open source world were people called to boycott Novell and Suse for beeing “bought” by Microsoft - what’s actually not tue but don’t get me started on this.

Now it’s Red Hat’s turn to sign an agreement with Microsoft but with a different approach... read more

Beans

Re: Red Hat and Microsoft: Will Red Hat do it right?

bump

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I believe RedHat has been a model company, with it's contributions to Linux and interaction with the community.
    I don't think there will be a deal between MS and Redhat:

Red Hat demands open standards in Microsoft deal

"Interoperability done on closed APIs isn't interoperability," Cormier said. "We'll never do interoperability based on closed APIs."

http://www.computing.co.uk/vnunet/ne...mits-microsoft

I don't think MS will concede on this point. Open doesn't work for their way of doing business. They need to use the Windows platform as leverage. If however they did change their tune, i'd respect them more too (no place to go but up honestly )
    The idea of copyright did not exist in ancient times, when authors frequently copied other authors at length in works of non-fiction. This practice was useful, and is the only way many authors' works have survived even in part. -- Richard Stallman

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by BoyOfDestiny View Post
    If however they did change their tune, i'd respect them more too (no place to go but up honestly )
    *snickers and waits for hell to open up and the promptly freeze in an ice storm of no equal*

Honestly, MS won't open up anything, their afraid we would want to copy their code/APIs

Beans
    Hidden!

The patent, copyright and trademark offices are letting really outlandish things get patented, copyrighted and trademarked these days.

Heck, we all know about Kentucky Fried Chicken trying to tell that poor family to "cease and desist" using the words "Family Feast" to describe their home-town meal they sold since KFC trademarked the words. (Yeah, trademarked the words "Family Feast"...stupid!)

Microsoft has long been doing this sort of thing, basically kicking off patents to try to patent things either they didn't invent but no one else has patented yet, or things that are common place and shouldn't be patented. I think their trying to get in bed with Novell and Red Hat so they have more "backing" when they try to patent or trademark things Open Source takes for granted. For instance, if they work with Novell to crank out a new version of SUSE Linux, they may then patent some "look and feel" of it, which might conflct with other Open Source projects. This would in essence shutdown or force those open source projects to change how they look and feel, since they aren't the ones holding patents.

I think it's a valid concern. Microsoft loves to play hard-ball, and when they shell out tons of money to help out a company like Novell, it's only because they have their own best interest in mind. And their own best interest has always been to corner the market and shut out any and all competition. If Open Source / Free Software (FOSS, FLOSS, whatever you call it) is seen as a threat, they'll do something to try to shut it down or make it difficult.

However, the irony I see in all this is a lot of folks create free software for Windows, EG: anti-virus software, reg cleaners, etc. I'm personally going to laugh my *** off if Microsoft decides that any and all viruses that can infect it's OS are deemed their "property", and thus they're the only ones that can create an anti-virus for their own system. It sounds so stupid, but they've already chosen to create and SELL an anti-virus program for THEIR OWN OS, rather than fix bugs and make it more secure. I could see them trying to take the next step by saying "the security flaws inherent to our OS are ours and ours alone, and others are not allowed to profit from them. Thus, Symantec and Norton Anti-Virus are here-by ordered to cease and desist selling their anti-virus software, because it's profiting from our proprietary OS." That's so laughable, it's insane, but as insane as it's gotten lately, it's not that far-fetched.
    Folding@Home & TeamUbuntu ... the lazy person's charity! Your comp does the work while you get the warm, fuzzy, hello-kitty feeling of helping humanity. That, and we get to trounce other teams in the folding competition! Join today!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

The redhat deal would help alot in the way of meshing the communication between these two OSes. Hopefully MS says ok to using open APIs.

I am glad(but not surpised at all) that RedHat isn't looking for kernel amnesty. We need to continue to weather the FUD. Is there a way to sue MS for defamation and force them to reveal evidence for their claims or cease making them?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BoyOfDestiny View Post
    I believe RedHat has been a model company, with it's contributions to Linux and interaction with the community.
    I don't think there will be a deal between MS and Redhat:
    And Novell/Suse weren't?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by MRiGnS View Post
    And Novell/Suse weren't?
    Redhat was always a linux company while I always though of a novel as a company that 'uses linux for now'.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Both Red Hat and Novell are wonderful companies, really. Novell did what they did with their users' interests in mind, and as a competitive move against Red Hat, that's business. They met a consumer demand and as time goes on you'll see more of this behavior from every company who's pushing a Linux distribution as a product.

However, speaking from the moral stance, Red Hat is the company with the moral high ground. With Red Hat it's morals and ideals first, business second, and it works for them very well. With Novell it's business first, morals and ideals second. It doesn't mean they don't have morals or ideals it simply means that they have taken a different stance, honestly Novell does as much for Linux as Red Hat does.

As for Red Hat's deal with Microsoft, I think they saw the backlash against Novell and are seeking to avoid that (hence the publicity around their demands for open standards). If anything I think this move is to counter Novell's recent growth with their highly public interoperability deal with Microsoft, this is just Red Hat digging in it's heels and getting ready to really start throwing some punches.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"- Optimus Prime

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant1988 View Post
    Both Red Hat and Novell are wonderful companies, really. Novell did what they did with their users' interests in mind, and as a competitive move against Red Hat, that's business. They met a consumer demand and as time goes on you'll see more of this behavior from every company who's pushing a Linux distribution as a product.

However, speaking from the moral stance, Red Hat is the company with the moral high ground. With Red Hat it's morals and ideals first, business second, and it works for them very well. With Novell it's business first, morals and ideals second. It doesn't mean they don't have morals or ideals it simply means that they have taken a different stance, honestly Novell does as much for Linux as Red Hat does.

As for Red Hat's deal with Microsoft, I think they saw the backlash against Novell and are seeking to avoid that (hence the publicity around their demands for open standards). If anything I think this move is to counter Novell's recent growth with their highly public interoperability deal with Microsoft, this is just Red Hat digging in it's heels and getting ready to really start throwing some punches.
    we share the same oppinion.