Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: GRUB4DOS bug fix

Beans

Exclamation GRUB4DOS bug fix

Hello,

I wanted to write a message for my Dutch blog on Wubi.
    Downloading went fine, after reboot I got the boot menu.
    But Ubuntu won't load:
    FIND--SET-ROOT/WUBI/BOOT/MENU.LIST
    ERROR 17 FILE NOT FOUND

Thanks,
    Frans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: error 17: file not found

I got this message too.I am new to wubi and ubuntu so I just uninstalled ubuntu and wubi..

Beans

Problens that cause error 17 generally are:

* initrd or linux kernel are fragmented
    * the filesystem is compressed
    * the filesystem is on a raid array
    * peculiar drivers are required to acces the hard disk

A solution is usually to install on a different partition (it is usually sufficient to cut and paste the wubi folder to a different drive). If fragmentation is the problem defragmenting does help.

Beans

Those are good suggestions. I've been following Wubi for quite some time and run into error 17 on every version. Here's what I've tried:

None of which have worked yet. I'm wondering if I fall under the "peculiar drivers are required to acces the hard disk" scenario. I'm running it on a Compaq Presario 2100 on which live CDs (of different variants) work fine and I am able to mount my ntfs drive using them.

If anyone is able to get Wubi to work on a Presario 2100 let me know. I'll try minefield today and post my findings.

Beans

I have the same problem as fvb. I installed wubi to D: the original 20GB IDE HD that came with my eMachines T1220. D: is not part of a RAID, it is not compressed; it isn't even fragmented, but it won't boot. The loader can't find /WUBI/BOOT/MENU.LIST (I see there is one in boot and another in its subdirectory, wingrub), but just before it displays the error message it is apparently looking on A:

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ago View Post
    Problens that cause error 17 generally are:

* initrd or linux kernel are fragmented
    * the filesystem is compressed
    * the filesystem is on a raid array
    * peculiar drivers are required to acces the hard disk

A solution is usually to install on a different partition (it is usually sufficient to cut and paste the wubi folder to a different drive). If fragmentation is the problem defragmenting does help.
    I had this problem suddenly appear in minefield3 and I'm sure that none of these are my problem.

* That contig program reports that neither file is fragmented
    * It's just NTFS and nothing in the wubi folder is compressed
    * Not on a RAID array
    * Minefield2 got into Ubuntu fine so I doubt it's my hard drive's drivers.

Also like celsus, it is looking on A: (floppy drive) for some reason. There isn't a disk in there.

Beans

I'm also having a probelm with Error 17. The drive is not compressed and I've run contig to defrag c:\wubi so there's no problem there, but I did notice that it was looking in the A: like with Lightspeed and celcus, so I tried disabling the floppy in the BIOS and even removed it, but then it didn't look for the file it just said Error 17 straight away.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jasw View Post
    I'm also having a probelm with Error 17. The drive is not compressed and I've run contig to defrag c:\wubi so there's no problem there, but I did notice that it was looking in the A: like with Lightspeed and celcus, so I tried disabling the floppy in the BIOS and even removed it, but then it didn't look for the file it just said Error 17 straight away.
    Ok then try to use

find --set-root --ignore-floppies /wubi/grub/menu.lst

You may need to edit both c:\menu.lst and c:\wubi\grub\menu.lst

let me know if it works

Beans

ok I tried that but it does the same as what it did when I unplugged the floppy drive, it doesn't look for the file it just says Error 17 straight away.

Beans

try replacing c:\grldr and c:\grub.exe with the files in http://download.gna.org/grub4dos/gru...2007-05-09.zip

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast