Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it worked

60 34.48%
  • It worked after a little hacking and tinkering

43 24.71%
  • It didn't work, but didn't do any damage

44 25.29%
  • It left my system completely unbootable, resulted in data loss, etc.

27 15.52%
Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: LVPM: Upgrades Wubi installs to dedicated-partition Ubuntu installs

Beans

Re: Howto: Using LVPM to transfer Wubi virtual disks into a real partition

Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly View Post
    Hmm that's strange, it's supposed to have done that automatically... Seems like my script had some issues on the os detection bit... Would you mind telling me the output of the command "sudo os-prober", and "sudo fdisk -l" (to help pinpoint the problem so that future users don't have this issue)? Also, did you see anything in the /boot/grub/menu.lst file prior to editing it, after the ubuntu entries in the end, or was there nothing at all there?
    sudo os-prober:
    /dev/hda1:Microsoft Windows XP Professional:Windows:chain

sudo fdisk -l:
    Disk /dev/hda: 100.0 GB, 100030242816 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 12161 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 1 9550 76710343+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/hda2 9551 12095 20442712+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda3 12096 12161 530145 82 Linux swap / Solaris

here it is, but i think it will be kinda useless cuz I already fixed the boot problem, but now I have a new problem, my Update Manager has this error:

"Software index is broken

It is impossible to install or remove any software. Please use the package manager "Synaptic" or run "sudo apt-get install -f" in a terminal to fix this issue at first."

and when I try to fix it using Synaptic i get this:

"An error occured

The following details are provided:

E: lupin-target: subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1"

and also, if I try using the command "sudo apt-get install -f" i get this error:

"home@cpe-00508dc259fb:~$ sudo apt-get install -f
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    lupin-target
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
    1 not fully installed or removed.
    E: Could not get lock /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock the download directory"

Is there anyway to fix this?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Hello, I'm ready, partitions are set but when I enter under root, sudo lvpm /dev/hda4, which is my partition I get command cannot be found. Darn caught my mistake didn't download a package.
    Last edited by acowboydave; June 28th, 2007 at 12:33 AM.
    MSI K9A2 MB. AMD 9850 BE 4Quad proc, 4x1 gig corsairs, BFG 260, corsair 1000w PS
    Acer 5520, AMD 64 Turion, 4gig ram, 160 gig HD, nvidia 7000, Dual boot Vista/Hardy
    cowboy http://sunset2u.com

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Hello, thought I had the partitions right, but got feedback. unable to write on extension 3. Ended up using the live CD to install. But have to say if it wasn't for Wubi I would not have installed Feisty. Have nothing but praise for the program.
    MSI K9A2 MB. AMD 9850 BE 4Quad proc, 4x1 gig corsairs, BFG 260, corsair 1000w PS
    Acer 5520, AMD 64 Turion, 4gig ram, 160 gig HD, nvidia 7000, Dual boot Vista/Hardy
    cowboy http://sunset2u.com

Beans

I reinstall Ubuntu using a Kubuntu live cd that came this afternoon, but ty wubi dev team cuz if it weren't for you guy I wouldn't have tried Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Moved my Feisty installation to real partition yesterday. Had to tinker a bit to get it working:
    I booted Wubi from USB drive (by mistake). I had taken a backup of Wubi folder to USB drive and my laptop decided to use it as boot drive. (BTW, i am also having problem with wubildr not being found from laptops hd, works only from the USB drive...)
    So i used gparted in Wubi and made changes to laptop HD (/dev/sdb). Shrinked the only NTFS partition and created swap and one big ext3 partition. After that downloaded lvpm and executed it. After two hours of waiting, i got some error about not enough space. The problem was that the script failed to mount /dev/sdb2 to /media/tdm, because gnome had allready mounted to new partition automatically. Still, the script continued and began to fill the virtual drive with contents of itself... .
    I tried again, this time /dev/sdb2 unmounted. This time it worked. Only problem was that grub set the boot drive to hd(1,1) which doesn't work as the USB drive isn't usually connected and i had to manually change it to hd(0,1).

Speed: boot is bit faster, hard to notice. Normal use, again bit of improvement. But in heavy disk related use (mixed accesses to both virtual drives and the mounted host NTFS partition) there's definite improvement. It seems that system is also more responsive during heavy use.
    Wubi really is worth trying; it made me test Linux after few years of laziness. I could test it without needing to juggle partitions. Now that i am using Ubuntu almost all the time, i'm thinking getting rid of Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The problem was that the script failed to mount /dev/sdb2 to /media/tdm, because gnome had allready mounted to new partition automatically. Still, the script continued and began to fill the virtual drive with contents of itself...
    Thanks for the bug report, I've now fixed that issue in the latest deb.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Just noticed that lupin-target wasn't properly uninstalled, because apt kept failing. Files /etc/initramfs-tools/update-initramfs.conf and /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf were allready deleted and lupin-target removal failed on those. Fixed it by creating empty files (sudo touch /etc/initramfs-tools/update-initramfs.conf etc..) and lupin-target was properly removed.

Beans
    Distro

Just noticed that lupin-target wasn't properly uninstalled, because apt kept failing. Files /etc/initramfs-tools/update-initramfs.conf and /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf were allready deleted and lupin-target removal failed on those. Fixed it by creating empty files (sudo touch /etc/initramfs-tools/update-initramfs.conf etc..) and lupin-target was properly removed.
    Thanks again for the bug report, seems like that was the issue Epilonsama had, turns out that it wasn't an issue with LVPM itself, but an issue in the lupin-target package introduced in revision 55 (so it only affects 7.04.01, not older versions), so I've fixed it in the lupin devel branch (so it shouldn't be present in future wubi and lubi versions), and also added a hack into the latest lvpm deb package so that it'll properly remove the faulty lupin-target.deb in 7.04.01.

Beans

Hey guys, I'm new here.

I recently installed Wubi about three or so weeks ago and loved its ease of use and more importantly, Ubuntu itself. Came for the eyecandy, stayed for the efficiency.

I feel I am ready to make a real partition and install it "properly".

To make more space for the partitions, I uninstalled Wubi... but I did back it up (c:/wubi/, that is) on an external drive just in case.

I was wondering how does one go about using LVPM when your .disk files are on an external (ntfs) drive? Is it possible? If not, I don't have much of a problem with reinstalling Wubi and replace the .disk files with those from my backup to follow this tutorial, but is there another way?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Beans
    Distro

I was wondering how does one go about using LVPM when your .disk files are on an external (ntfs) drive? Is it possible? If not, I don't have much of a problem with reinstalling Wubi and replace the .disk files with those from my backup to follow this tutorial, but is there another way?
    I think just reinstalling Wubi and replacing the disk files, then just booting from there and removing wubi afterwards would be the easiest way to go; it would be possible to boot a livecd, mount the loopmounted partitions from there and chroot in, then run lvpm from there, but that has yet to be tested, and could lead to unexpected problems.

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast