Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it worked

60 34.48%
  • It worked after a little hacking and tinkering

43 24.71%
  • It didn't work, but didn't do any damage

44 25.29%
  • It left my system completely unbootable, resulted in data loss, etc.

27 15.52%
Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: LVPM: Upgrades Wubi installs to dedicated-partition Ubuntu installs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: LVPM: Upgrades Wubi installs to real Ubuntu installs with dedicated partitions

Quote Originally Posted by lingwu View Post
    Hello,

I'm a linux newbie and has been trying out ubuntu via wubi for a couple weeks now. I've got everything set up to my liking and have learn a lot during this process as well. So having come across lvpm, i thought of moving it to a proper partition. The instructions seem simple enough, so I thought there wouldn't be any problem...but alas...

What i did was I ran the partitioning work on Windows (I used Acronis Partition Manager), set it to 35gb, and set it to format as Ext3. Xp rebooted and did the work no problem.

After that I booted to Ubuntu, looked for Lvpm on Synaptics, found that it was an old version, so I went to sourceforge and download the latest version (79). Ran that, select the correct steps and partition (I made double sure by running fdisk-l) and set it on it's way. Left it running for a couple hours, after I came back, I was pleased to see the promt asking for reboot and didn't show any error messages.

After rebooting I check around, and find that I booted back to the Ubuntu on the virtual disk and not the partitioned Ubuntu! Checking wubi/boot/grub/menu.lst, I find that all the boot options remains pointed at the virtual disks. (at wubi/boot)

Did I mess up somewhere?
    Does the GRUB menu show up when you boot your computer? It should have Ubuntu listed on top. The reason why the wubi/boot/grub/menu.lst in Windows still points at the virtual disks are because that's the old Wubi installation; LVPM doesn't delete the original Wubi install.

To check to make sure whether or not you're booting into the real-partition install or the loopmounted one, use this command:

Code:
    cat /proc/mounts
    And check the output, if it contains /media/host/wubi/disks/system.virtual.disk then it's the loopmounted install, otherwise, if it doesn't have that line and it has something like /dev/disk-by-uuid... / .... it's the real-partition install (in which case you don't have a problem, and you can just uninstall the original Wubi install from Windows to end up with only the real install).

Anyhow the issue could either be that the install didn't get copied over, or that GRUB didn't get installed. To see if the install got copied over, boot Ubuntu, and you should be able to see an additional partition under places -> computer, mount it and see if it has the necessary files in it; namely, if it has a boot folder, and if it has grub/menu.lst within that boot folder (in the partition's folder, like /media/disk/boot/grub/menu.lst, not in /boot), see if that looks correct (check the end, the second line in each entry, after title, should be "root (hd0,0)" or so, not "find --set-root --ignore-floppies /wubi/boot/linux").

If it does, then the issue is simply that GRUB didn't get installed to the MBR for some reason, to get grub installed to the MBR, try this:

Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda --root-directory=/media/disk
    Then reboot and see if the GRUB menu shows up. In that command, I'm assuming your hard drive is /dev/sda, and that it's mounted at /media/disk, adjust the parameters accordingly, if you don't know if the hard drive is /dev/sda or something else, use the command:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l | grep "Disk /dev/"
    And that'll tell you what it is. Also, if that doesn't work either, see if the Super Grub Disk is able to boot it, it can recover and repair GRUB installs.
    Last edited by tuxcantfly; September 12th, 2007 at 08:49 PM.

Beans

Re: LVPM: Upgrades Wubi installs to real Ubuntu installs with dedicated partitions

ok, i have one hard drive and it is partitioned as c, d, x. c has windows on it, d has windows apps/data and x is freshly formatted. x is a 20gb partition with a 1gb swap inside. when i run wubi and follow the instructions to run lvpm it says to select a target partition.
    i have 5 choices:

/dev/hda1
    /dev/hda2
    /dev/hda3
    /dev/hda4
    /dev/hda5

so which one is x?
    am i right in thinking: /dev/hda3?
    none of the volumes have labels even though they are labeled in windows.

i would hate to guess wrong and wipe wubi and windows at the same time.
    thanks in advance, MIKE...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wmikes View Post
    ok, i have one hard drive and it is partitioned as c, d, x. c has windows on it, d has windows apps/data and x is freshly formatted. x is a 20gb partition with a 1gb swap inside. when i run wubi and follow the instructions to run lvpm it says to select a target partition.
    i have 5 choices:

/dev/hda1
    /dev/hda2
    /dev/hda3
    /dev/hda4
    /dev/hda5

so which one is x?
    am i right in thinking: /dev/hda3?
    none of the volumes have labels even though they are labeled in windows.

i would hate to guess wrong and wipe wubi and windows at the same time.
    thanks in advance, MIKE...
    /dev/hda1 refers to the first partition, hda2 is the second, etc. Just mount each of the partitions and check their contents, that way you'll be able to see which one it is based on the files in it. Also, if you happen to know the size of the partitions, you can use the command "df" and you'll be able to figure out the partition number based on the size of each partition (size, in KB, is listed on second column).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly View Post
    /dev/hda1 refers to the first partition, hda2 is the second, etc. Just mount each of the partitions and check their contents, that way you'll be able to see which one it is based on the files in it. Also, if you happen to know the size of the partitions, you can use the command "df" and you'll be able to figure out the partition number based on the size of each partition (size, in KB, is listed on second column).
    thanks -

Beans
    Distro

I've added builds of partitionmanager for windows and rpm-based distros to the souceforge page since some users expressed interest in being able to resize Windows and Linux root partitions without needing to use a liveCD. The exe and rpm files are available for download at the usual spot at http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=198821

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks so much for this. It worked like an absolute charm!

I do have a couple of questions: where does LVPM install grub? Is it to the MBR. If that is the case, is it safe to remove my old Windows partitions, or will that remove grub with it? I ask because I can't boot from a CD or floppy on my system so would be unable to fix grub should it go sour. Here is the partition table if that helps:

Disk /dev/hda: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7296 cylinders, total 117210240 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 63 30716279 15358108+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/hda2 30716280 98864009 34073865 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/hda3 98864010 99860039 498015 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/hda4 99860040 117210239 8675100 83 Linux
    /dev/hda5 30716343 988640

Thanks for your help

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by flightless bird View Post
    Thanks so much for this. It worked like an absolute charm!

I do have a couple of questions: where does LVPM install grub? Is it to the MBR. If that is the case, is it safe to remove my old Windows partitions, or will that remove grub with it? I ask because I can't boot from a CD or floppy on my system so would be unable to fix grub should it go sour. Here is the partition table if that helps:

Disk /dev/hda: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7296 cylinders, total 117210240 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 63 30716279 15358108+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/hda2 30716280 98864009 34073865 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/hda3 98864010 99860039 498015 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/hda4 99860040 117210239 8675100 83 Linux
    /dev/hda5 30716343 988640

Thanks for your help
    Yes, GRUB is installed to the MBR, so it's perfectly safe to remove Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Alright, I haven't voted in the poll, because I haven't been able to make it work, but I haven't decimated my computer yet.

I first tried using LVPM to put my Wubi install on my second hard drive. It won't booot when I set that hard drive to boot from in bios. grub won't install on that hdd from Ubuntu or the SGD.

Next, I tried putting a partition on my first HDD and used LVPM to put my wubi there. Grub won't install there either.

I get errors that the drives cannot be mounted. I've been away from the project for a little bit, but I believe the errors that I get are 15 and 17, but don't hold me to that. I'm off to try another half dozen things that occured to me to try while I was out, mostly of the hardware variety.

EDIT TO ADD: Well, I found a hardware solution to my problems that worked better than this software one. Thanks for the efforts.
    Last edited by erisianmonkey; September 28th, 2007 at 07:43 AM. Reason: added

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Using gParted or Partition Manager, neither one allows me to change the size of my partitions. Any tips? ive got an 80GB drive, and did a 15gb wubi install.

Im not sure how to proceed now! Any help would be appreciated. thanks~Dave

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by shirteesdotnet View Post
    Using gParted or Partition Manager, neither one allows me to change the size of my partitions. Any tips? ive got an 80GB drive, and did a 15gb wubi install.

Im not sure how to proceed now! Any help would be appreciated. thanks~Dave
    Try defragmenting your hard drive (I assume you're trying to resize the Windows NTFS partition right?). Maybe doing a filesystem check (chkdsk /f) then rebooting and letting chkdsk might also help. And what exactly is the error when you open GParted and attempt to resize the partition?

Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast