View Poll Results: Did this howto work?

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it worked

    60 34.48%
  • It worked after a little hacking and tinkering

    43 24.71%
  • It didn't work, but didn't do any damage

    44 25.29%
  • It left my system completely unbootable, resulted in data loss, etc.

    27 15.52%
Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 425

Thread: LVPM: Upgrades Wubi installs to dedicated-partition Ubuntu installs

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Beans
    6

    Re: LVPM: Upgrades Wubi installs to real Ubuntu installs with dedicated partitions

    In one of the branching statements you used
    Code:
    $tdp = "string"
    instead of
    Code:
    "$tdp" = "string"
    .

    The rsync line takes an extremely long time and gives no indication of progress except reporting any errors that occur, I think all the errors it gave were pedantic, failed verification update discarded errors from /sys/power/, /sys/module/, and other system areas.

    The lines beginning with
    Code:
    chroot /media/tdm << EOT
    and ending with EOT fail. Errors:
    The line "cp /update-initramfs.conf /etc/initramfs-tools/update-initramfs.conf" fails with "cp: cannot stat update-initramfs.conf": no such file or directory. The same error occurs when the script copies initramfs.conf, modules, and when it moves the three files following the second dpkg line.



    I'm not going to reboot my laptop until those problems are diagnosed (despite now having a working procedure to restore the Lenovo MBR, I don't want to tempt fate by ending up with an Ubuntu .disk that won't boot, making all of this moot.)



    Edit: After a lot of very careful tinkering, I've succeeded in getting the kernel to boot from /dev/sda3 but X fails to start among other things.

    Edit: The problem so far is that / is mounted as read only every time I boot into /dev/sda3.

    And it's now bootable, I fixed it by editing /etc/fstab to mount / as ext3 (I didn't know if it mattered) and removed errors=remount-ro, and I removed the /wubi/* information from mtab.
    Last edited by Anpheus; September 7th, 2007 at 03:49 AM.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northwest Washington
    Beans
    4
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

    Exclamation Re: LVPM: Upgrades Wubi installs to real Ubuntu installs with dedicated partitions

    So, been using Wubi with kubuntu for a few months now. Love it. I need to get a new hard drive before I go through the whole full conversion to a partition, 40 GB is a bit of a squeeze for me to have both XP and Kubuntu on board right now.

    So I'm trying to use LVPM to expand my home.virtual.disk and I'm a little concerned...I set it for 4000 MB (which, by my math should be 4GB) and set it on its merry little way.

    First problem was that the progress bar only moved to a certain point and stayed there. Not a big deal...figured it was a minor quirk (I'm one of those pesky developers who believes that as long as the darn application works right on the major things, like its intended purpose, trivial things like the user getting a pretty "It's working, dummy" can break.)

    However, now I'm sitting here, having been watching the progress of the file through Konqueror, and I'm getting concerned. As I type this, the "new.virtual.disk" is up to 5.6 GB and I can hear the ol' hard drive writing, writing away.

    I'm posting a screenshot with this..am I just being nuts or is this a problem? Something I'm doing wrong, perhaps? I'm thinking it should have stopped around 1.6 GB ago...

    I'm going to force it to stop at 7 GB if it hasn't...I don't want it overwriting any data I have on the machine and I only had 7.4 GB free when I started this...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snapshot1.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	42792  

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Beans
    1,226
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: LVPM: Upgrades Wubi installs to real Ubuntu installs with dedicated partitions

    Quote Originally Posted by Anpheus View Post
    In one of the branching statements you used
    Code:
    $tdp = "string"
    instead of
    Code:
    "$tdp" = "string"
    .

    The rsync line takes an extremely long time and gives no indication of progress except reporting any errors that occur, I think all the errors it gave were pedantic, failed verification update discarded errors from /sys/power/, /sys/module/, and other system areas.

    The lines beginning with
    Code:
    chroot /media/tdm << EOT
    and ending with EOT fail. Errors:
    The line "cp /update-initramfs.conf /etc/initramfs-tools/update-initramfs.conf" fails with "cp: cannot stat update-initramfs.conf": no such file or directory. The same error occurs when the script copies initramfs.conf, modules, and when it moves the three files following the second dpkg line.



    I'm not going to reboot my laptop until those problems are diagnosed (despite now having a working procedure to restore the Lenovo MBR, I don't want to tempt fate by ending up with an Ubuntu .disk that won't boot, making all of this moot.)



    Edit: After a lot of very careful tinkering, I've succeeded in getting the kernel to boot from /dev/sda3 but X fails to start among other things.

    Edit: The problem so far is that / is mounted as read only every time I boot into /dev/sda3.

    And it's now bootable, I fixed it by editing /etc/fstab to mount / as ext3 (I didn't know if it mattered) and removed errors=remount-ro, and I removed the /wubi/* information from mtab.
    Whoops thanks for the notifications on the typos, I've attached a script with those fixes incorporated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Beans
    1,226
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: LVPM: Upgrades Wubi installs to real Ubuntu installs with dedicated partitions

    Quote Originally Posted by theartak View Post
    So, been using Wubi with kubuntu for a few months now. Love it. I need to get a new hard drive before I go through the whole full conversion to a partition, 40 GB is a bit of a squeeze for me to have both XP and Kubuntu on board right now.

    So I'm trying to use LVPM to expand my home.virtual.disk and I'm a little concerned...I set it for 4000 MB (which, by my math should be 4GB) and set it on its merry little way.

    First problem was that the progress bar only moved to a certain point and stayed there. Not a big deal...figured it was a minor quirk (I'm one of those pesky developers who believes that as long as the darn application works right on the major things, like its intended purpose, trivial things like the user getting a pretty "It's working, dummy" can break.)

    However, now I'm sitting here, having been watching the progress of the file through Konqueror, and I'm getting concerned. As I type this, the "new.virtual.disk" is up to 5.6 GB and I can hear the ol' hard drive writing, writing away.

    I'm posting a screenshot with this..am I just being nuts or is this a problem? Something I'm doing wrong, perhaps? I'm thinking it should have stopped around 1.6 GB ago...

    I'm going to force it to stop at 7 GB if it hasn't...I don't want it overwriting any data I have on the machine and I only had 7.4 GB free when I started this...
    Wow, that's strange... anyhow for now, try using these commands:

    Code:
    sudo -s
    cd /media/host/wubi/disks
    dd if=/dev/zero of=new.virtual.disk bs=1M count=4000
    mkfs.ext3 -F new.virtual.disk
    mkdir /media/extra
    mount -o loop,sync /media/host/wubi/disks/new.virtual.disk /media/extra
    rsync -avx --exclude '/sys/*' --exclude '/proc/*' / /media/extra
    is the size 4GB when you do it like that?

    also, perhaps doing it with a sparse file-allocation will be faster and work better, just do the same thing as above, only replace the line

    Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=new.virtual.disk bs=1M count=4000
    with

    Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=new.virtual.disk bs=1 seek=4G count=0
    then reboot back into Windows and backup home.virtual.disk and rename C:\wubi\new.virtual.disk to home.virtual.disk
    Last edited by tuxcantfly; September 7th, 2007 at 11:18 PM.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northwest Washington
    Beans
    4
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

    Re: LVPM: Upgrades Wubi installs to real Ubuntu installs with dedicated partitions

    Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly View Post
    Wow, that's strange... anyhow for now, try using these commands:

    Code:
    sudo -s
    cd /media/host/wubi/disks
    dd if=/dev/zero of=new.virtual.disk bs=1M count=4000
    mkfs.ext3 -F new.virtual.disk
    mkdir /media/extra
    mount -o loop,sync /media/host/wubi/disks/new.virtual.disk /media/extra
    rsync -avx --exclude '/sys/*' --exclude '/proc/*' / /media/extra
    is the size 4GB when you do it like that?

    also, perhaps doing it with a sparse file-allocation will be faster and work better, just do the same thing as above, only replace the line

    Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=new.virtual.disk bs=1M count=4000
    with

    Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=new.virtual.disk bs=1 seek=4G count=0
    then reboot back into Windows and backup home.virtual.disk and rename C:\wubi\new.virtual.disk to home.virtual.disk
    Still in the middle of copying everything over, but the disk file itself is the correct size doing it command line so far.

    I have no idea what happened...I used the most recent version of LVPM off sourceforge (79?). Could be just a weird bug in my system. Thanks for the help and stellar job on the app overall.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northwest Washington
    Beans
    4
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

    Re: LVPM: Upgrades Wubi installs to real Ubuntu installs with dedicated partitions

    Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly View Post

    Code:
    mount -o loop,sync /media/host/wubi/disks/new.virtual.disk /media/extra
    rsync -avx --exclude '/sys/*' --exclude '/proc/*' / /media/extra
    These particular instructions you gave me...the ones I quote in this post....they were for system.virtual.disk, weren't they?
    Last edited by theartak; September 9th, 2007 at 09:45 AM.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Beans
    697

    Re: LVPM: Upgrades Wubi installs to real Ubuntu installs with dedicated partitions

    My system, Presario sr2010nx has a 120 gig harddrive and 512 ram (I know, get more ram!). It also has another drive for Windows recovery. I've been loving Wubi for over a month and have installed it to it's own partition using the instructions here...
    http://lubi.sourceforge.net/lvpm.html
    ...and everything seems to be working fine, but I am very confused about how I got here, so...

    After installing Partition Manager and rebootiing, the file structure appeared as if everything had been automatically partitioned (I didn't resize anything myself, but just rebooted after viewing the partition structure and transfered Wubi using LVPM)...

    Partition | FileSystem | Label | Size | Used | Unused | Flags

    /dev/sda1 | !ntfs | PRESARIO | 40.91 GiB | blank | blank | ---boot

    /dev/sda3 | ext3 | blank | 62.30 GiB | 4.82GiB | 57.48 GiB | blank

    /dev/sda4 | extended | blank | 1.26GiB | blank | blank | blank

    -- /dev/sda5 | linux-swap | blank | 1.26GiB | blank | blank | blank

    unallocated | unallocated | blank | 5.08MiB | blank | blank | blank

    /dev/sda2 | fat32 | blank | 7.32GiB | 6.83GiB | 504.21MiB |lba

    Additionally, right clicking on the ntfs partition showed maximum size and minimum size as the same number (the MiB equivalent of 40Gigs) and was not resizable. Transferring with LVPM seemed fine, the boot menu seems fine (several linux kernels and Windows and Windows NT/XP listed under "Other OS") and I can boot to either OS fine, but getting there is not what is shown on the hard to see screenshots nor the very hard to see video. What gives?

    If everything really is OK but I find I want more space allocated to Windows, how do I do that? ntfsprog?

    It seems to me that a new walkthrough might be in order, consolidated and not spread out over an 11 page thread with scripts and versions being updated after 5 or 6 pages and occasional bold text saying IGNORE THIS POST.

    Many thanks to all who are working hard to make Wubi the easiest way to become familiar with Linux/Ubuntu.

    -edit, additional info-

    sudo os-prober...

    /dev/sda2:Windows NT/2000/XP:Windows:chain


    sudo fdisk -l


    Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 5340 42893518+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda2 13638 14593 7673400 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
    Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/sda3 5341 13473 65328322+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda4 13474 13637 1317330 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 13474 13637 1317298+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

    Partition table entries are not in disk order

    -edit- BTW, I transferred to /dev/sda3. And doing more research, I'm wondering if shrinking sda3 with the partition manager will allow me to grow /dev/sda1...
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/tips/gfs.htm

    Awesome work, Geza, thank you!
    Last edited by hhh; September 9th, 2007 at 07:15 PM.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Beans
    697

    Re: LVPM: Upgrades Wubi installs to real Ubuntu installs with dedicated partitions

    Dammit dammit dammit dammit. I'm an impatient idiot. Not even an hour later and I've trashed my system. Here's how it happened...

    1) Reread this thread top to bottom, came across this post...
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...1&postcount=78
    ..and wondered if I had installed an outdated version of the partition manager.
    2) Read this post...
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...1&postcount=83
    ...and followed those instructions.
    3) Disaster, "Other OS" entries were gone, entering any of the Ubuntu kernels resulted in a GRUB Error 15 (I think it was "File not Found") could only load Partition manager but rebooting afterwards resulted in the same error. Could not enter Windows recovery at startup by pressing F10 anymore.
    4) Panicked, and I know this was my ridiculously foolish and crucial error... I entered the partition manager and deleted all partitions except ntfs (sda1) and fat32 (sda2).
    5) Complete devestation. Now booting only shows...

    GRUB Loading stage 1.5

    GRUB loading, please wait...

    Error 22



    I now have web access only through a Puppy Live CD I had. I'm pretty sure I have an Ubuntu Live CD at work. Any chance I will be able to restore Windows at least, so I can reinstall Wubi and take it from there?

    Lesson - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Beans
    1,226
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: LVPM: Upgrades Wubi installs to real Ubuntu installs with dedicated partitions

    Quote Originally Posted by theartak View Post
    These particular instructions you gave me...the ones I quote in this post....they were for system.virtual.disk, weren't they?
    Yes, the instructions for home.virtual.disk are:

    Code:
    rsync -avx /home/ /media/extra

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Beans
    1,226
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: LVPM: Upgrades Wubi installs to real Ubuntu installs with dedicated partitions

    If everything really is OK but I find I want more space allocated to Windows, how do I do that? ntfsprog?
    Boot the partition manager, open GParted, shrink one of your existing drives (using the resize option), that'll leave some unallocated disk space, which you can expand your Windows partition into to use.

Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •