Thread: Is it supposed to take this long?

Beans

Is it supposed to take this long?

In the website it says "grab a cup of coffee and when you come back ubuntu should be ready" well how long does it take to go grab a cup of coffee. Everything downloaded but when i rebooted it went through a bunch of screens and then it got to one screen that read something like "select programs to install, blah blah blah" and there was a progress bar below it. at first it was going at a fine speed for me but after it hit 50 it started taking a while. It was at 60% at about 3:40. I ate, played some videogames, and did some homework only to come back at about 6:30 and find it at 73%. I dont know if its my computer or something but when i started seeing how long it took for 1% to go by. It took about 10-20 minutes. Is that how long its supposed to take to install. I uninstalled what was left and i am downloading the installation files again to see if it will go faster this time. Is this how long its supposed to take. if it is then sorry but i dont think so. thanks for any help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Is it supposed to take this long?

It's only supposed to take around 15 min. - 1 hour on hardware that's relatively recent (4 years old or newer) hardware, maybe 2 hours on really old stuff. Your install times appear to be WAY too long. How much RAM does your computer have? I've noticed that if there's any less than 256MB or so, Ubuntu installs take a really long time. You might also have a horribly fragmented hard drive, maybe defragging might help (though I think it's probably something with the RAM or hardware incompatibilities)

Beans

oh i guess its the RAM, i have 192 MB of RAM so that might be it. well its downloading again now so ill just leave it on throughout the night which is about 8 hours should be enough time. thanks for the help.

Beans

It might also be a missing HD driver. Do you have a sata drive? Do you use raid? What is the make and model of your HD?

Beans

sorry im not familiar with all this, how can i found out what kind i have. im pretty sure its not raid but how can i check

Beans

See under Accessories>System Tools>System Information under Compnents>Storage> Disks/SCSI/IDE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

On my Pentium III 256 ram it takes around 20 mins for comparison.