Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Project : Outreach

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Project : Outreach

Outreach Project
    Goal:
    To attend a number of shows (computer shows, etc.) and supply Ubuntu CDs to interested people.
    Discussion on this matter was started with this forum posting.

Enter Actions taken, interest, ideas, etc.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Project : Outreach

Installfest Ideas
    Thoughts on Organizing Installfests :
    - A server with apt-cache
    - have also alternate CD and system rescue CD
    - Printed pieces of paper with the LoCo forum and mailing list address
    - A brief (1 or 2 pages) explanation on how to get started

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Talking you're volunteered

[Sorry, Pmasiar, I didn't realize your installfest title was a link, so my comments below are about doing public demos rather than installs. To be honest, I can't even remotely imagine generating the kind of interest in Connecticut that your article describes. Not only will nobody make off with too many discs, you will be lucky to bend anybody's arm enough to take one IMHO..]

Okay Pmasiar, your last 3 items there look easy enough (meaning you're offering to do those up?! ). The rescue cd is specific to whoever's computer, so we need someone brave enough to use their own laptop as a demo mule. As for the server, I'm not sure what you had in mind, but unless you know someone who has roaming wireless I would guess web access is out of the question, server access ditto, when the outreachers are out in the field. I don't think it's really necessary to be able to do full installs for anybody out in the field, it should be enough to do a mock install over a preset partition on a laptop with no web updates.

I think helping people set up dual boot with Windows using WUBI will be safer for the average person with a modern (40+GB) computer than setting up separate partitions, so saving a WUBI image to disc and having it along would be valuable.
    Last edited by Razzl; May 16th, 2007 at 11:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Okay, now what? The show in New Haven is 2 1/2 weeks away. I have about 100 blank CDs I bought for about $20 at a previous show, the same number of paper sleeves to put them in, and printable labels from Family Dollar. I try to keep my expenses as low as possible. Upon the suggestion of the Cogan staff, I have offered the CDs for free, but with a suggested donation of a dollar or two to help defray costs. I do not stand there and hand out a CD to everyone who walks by, but rather offer one to anyone who stops and shows an interest. Most people are willing and even expect to pay something. If we do it this way, we should end up with enough money to continue to buy supplies to keep this thing going. Any extra could always be used to grow the outreach program or donate to some struggling Linux project. As I see it, the initial supplies needed would be CDs, labels, paper for handouts, and printer ink (ouch!)

At the Cogan Fairs I have attended, I have given out at most from half a dozen to around 20 CDs per show. I would not burn a huge number to start, because as you know a new version of Ubuntu is released every six months, and it would be a waste to be stuck with a lot of old CDs after a newer version is out. I think demo machines are a good idea. I had been using my laptop as a demo, but for the last show I brought a desktop. People seemed to notice it more and be more willing to play around with it. A demo install would be great, but would require another computer. They say that some of their locations have wifi available, but I have not been able to access it, so we cannot pull in any updates. If this group is going to get involved in the shows, we should probably have some kind of paper handout (sheet or business card?) with contact information, and maybe some FAQs or other helpful information. At some point, I would like to also get some feedback, without pressuring, from people who have taken the CDs. Did they try them, what did they like or dislike about the system, what problems or questions they had, etc. I don't know how this can be accomplished, but it would be helpful in planning for future shows.

I checked my calendar and I do have June 9th off from work, so I guess I will be going to New Haven. Are there any other takers?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    Upon the suggestion of the Cogan staff, I have offered the CDs for free, but with a suggested donation of a dollar or two to help defray costs. I do not stand there and hand out a CD to everyone who walks by, but rather offer one to anyone who stops and shows an interest. Most people are willing and even expect to pay something.
    very good idea indded.

I think demo machines are a good idea. I had been using my laptop as a demo, but for the last show I brought a desktop. People seemed to notice it more and be more willing to play around with it. A demo install would be great, but would require another computer.
    That would be nice.

Or we can show install on laptop - without really formatting the disk of course. Would be nice to have Windows partition, to show how GPartEd looks like.

we should probably have some kind of paper handout (sheet or business card?) with contact information, and maybe some FAQs or other helpful information.
    One page to make it simpler?

At some point, I would like to also get some feedback, without pressuring, from people who have taken the CDs. Did they try them, what did they like or dislike about the system, what problems or questions they had, etc. I don't know how this can be accomplished, but it would be helpful in planning for future shows.
    Excellent idea. Maybe we can ask them what would be best way to do it.

I sent today self-stamped envelope for free sticker - but looks like they send 4 stickers only... maybe there is cheaper way to get them...

Anyway, I'll burn some CDs and I plan coming too. Who else is coming?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Regarding handouts and stickers:

I have printed some sheets listing a few Linux equivalents to Windows programs and my contact information. It takes up about a page and a half. I can change the contact info to whatever the group wants to use, and would welcome any ideas on how to improve this and fill up the rest of the back page.

I also have printed CD labels that I have been sticking on the CDs I hand out. I don't know how professional they are, but they don't look too bad. It is just the photo graphic of the Ubuntu kids in a circle with the words "Ubuntu Linux 7.04 Live CD" written around the edge. I don't know if the folks at Canonical have any CD label they prefer people to use. There used to be some "official" Ubuntu graphics on their site to download and use, but I cannot find them any more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    I have printed some sheets listing a few Linux equivalents to Windows programs and my contact information. It takes up about a page and a half. I can change the contact info to whatever the group wants to use, and would welcome any ideas on how to improve this and fill up the rest of the back page.
    I think most people will prefer almost-anonymous forum, or mailing list. Best of course will be some way to be able to post without registering - a blog with anonymous posting maybe? I know spam promoting crap will be coming but some people may refuse registering.

This might be a question to ask people at the fair: do you want to give us a feedback, and which way you prefer?

I don't know if the folks at Canonical have any CD label they prefer people to use. There used to be some "official" Ubuntu graphics on their site to download and use, but I cannot find them any more.
    Yes, it was hard to find to me also.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Official

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This project will be the perfect first project to use the new Connecticut Team Mailing List!

After you've joined up for the mailing list at https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-us-ct you will be able to post by sending an email to ubuntu-us-ct@lists.ubuntu.com.

I'm seeing what's going on the 9th. Do you have a link to the site for times/location/directions?

~Drew
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The web site for Cogan Fairs is http://www.coganfairs.com/ You can click on the menu link for Show Schedule to get to the page that lists the upcoming shows. Each of the shows has a link with the address and driving directions. Depending on where you are coming from, Mapquest may have directions for a shorter route.

The normal schedule runs 10:00-4:00 on Saturdays and Sundays, but they have shortened at least some of the shows to end at 3:00 for the summer. They like their vendors to get there early, and be done setting up by 9:45.

I need to send an email before the end of the work week for every show I intend to go to, so they will reserve a table. I like to do that no later than Thursday, to be sure someone has a chance to read it and get back to me. I should be able to get to the show in New Haven, but if any of you people want to set up a table at shows I cannot attend, someone will have to notify either the Cogan contact or myself beforehand. For example, there is a show in Groton the day after the one in New Haven, but I do not expect to be going there, because it is too long of a drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I love this idea, I live in the CT area as well. One thing that we need to take into account is that for Cogan Fairs there is usually some kind of a vendor fee. Although I'm pretty sure he's not in charge anymore, I used to know Mr. Cogan-- maybe well enough to ask for permission to setup a table. I have 1-3 computers I could bring as demos. Let me know.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast