Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Naked, female, and hating it in Second Life.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Naked, female, and hating it in Second Life.

Anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it? I downloaded and set up an account with Second Life, ran the client to give it a go, and no matter what I do the avatar always shows up as a buck naked woman. Now, I had previously set it to come up as "the boy next door" so I have no idea why it came up as this in the first place. And it won't let me into the "appearance" settings at all. When I pull down the menu, the appearance line is blacked out, and when I right click and hit "appearance" it doesn't do anything.

I would like to explore more of the environment and game but I'm afraid to leave the entry island in my current condition and lack of clothing. It's kind of like living a bad dream in Second Life and wondering whether or not I need virtual therapy, as I generally prefer clothing, and I am a man, and a father of three. It was rather disturbing to have some guy hitting on my naked female form.

Anybody got any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Naked, female, and hating it in Second Life.

That sounds really bizarre. I had no problems at all when I ran it in Edgy (haven't tried it in Feisty)
    Wasn't really my kinda thing though. Reminded me of the book Otherworld.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, I didn't think it was normal. I thought maybe it was my graphics card, an Intel, but I tried it on my wife's computer, and she has an Nvidia like the specs say, and it did the same thing there as well. I emailed a letter to support but they haven't gotten back to me on it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If you are running a Linux client, be aware that it is alpha software and has plenty of bugs. It's unfortunate that it has to be this one...
    Think before you type: If anybody asks you to type anything with rm -rf on the CLI, DO NOT do it! As a matter of fact, if you don't know what a set of commands will do, ask for clarification from other members.
    My home page: www.cyeungrun.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool! You got a sister?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You can get a (sometimes pretty long) delay while SL is downloading clothing. Apparently this only affects your client, rather than how the rest of the world sees you.

Having said that, I have to admit your problem sounds slightly different from that.

I suppose you could try reinstalling the client. That wouldn't affect any of your in-game settings.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

but remeber the game is still in beta stages

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'll try and install it and see if I get similar results
    Last edited by cisforcojo; May 9th, 2007 at 02:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

screenshots? lol sorry

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I installed the client on my wife's computer, and had the same problem running my avatar. Her computer has the Nvidia card that's part of the specs. When we tried to get her an account and avatar everything ran perfectly. What puzzles me is that if it was my graphics card (an intel) on my laptop, why is it still locking me out of any ability to change my appearance on my wife's computer when hers runs it just fine?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast