Thread: Is Wubi virtual?

Beans

Is Wubi virtual?

Is this Wubi, basically a virtual linux that runs under windows? Is it safe to run? I want to install Kubuntu, but I do not know how to partition a drive yet and am thinking about using Wubi.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Is Wubi virtual?

Is this Wubi, basically a virtual linux that runs under windows?
    NO. See the site FAQ at http://cutlersoftware.com/ubuntusetu...en-US/faq.html and if you need the nitty-gritty details, check out https://wiki.ubuntu.com/install.exe

Is it safe to run?
    It should be just as safe, or safer (no partitioning or bootloader tweaking) than standard ubuntu

I want to install Kubuntu, but I do not know how to partition a drive yet and am thinking about using Wubi.
    It installs Kubuntu fine, I'd say go for it, worst thing that could happen is it doesn't work properly, you run the uninstaller, and it undoes everything

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Last time I used Wubi (about a month ago) there wasn't an option to install Kubuntu, though it can be done by downloading the kdestop package from Synaptic (or some package like that).

It's a great installer. The uninstall has saved my hide a few times.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Last time I used Wubi (about a month ago) there wasn't an option to install Kubuntu
    There is one now, see the latest version (7.04-test1), it'll be in the "advanced settings" dialog