Page 152 of 289 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162202252 ... LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 2881

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: i stick to my fav. software

Quote Originally Posted by yester64 View Post
    I am a registered user of Acdsee and i am very unsatisfied with Acdsee. Not because it does not run under Linux, but for their failure to fix security problems and database overflows.
    Every version gets more features and eyecandies, but the underlining problems never get fixed.
    I started off with Acdsee and switched to Acdsee Pro. None of these version run good or shall i say without failure under Vista. So i blew $200 on a licence just to have a software which crashes always.
    But it is one of the only software which is fast and renders very quick.
    The most closest i can recommend is Geeque which has similar features, but not all.

But i assume you have a happy experience with it.
    yes i admit i am very happy with it to the point i wish it would run on my fav. os linux (ubuntu)..
    in all honesty other than the security issues i have never have had a crash with it... i will admit i do not use the database function which maybe the cause you have these crashes... i only do minor adjustments and use it for almost all but database maintenanace so you may very well have a point....
    but this off subject matter anyway
    ps.i run it in xp and win7 and never let it touch vista myself
    Last edited by georgegerm; February 26th, 2010 at 01:16 AM.
    jimi hendrix
    q6600, gforce 8800gt, 4096 ocz reaperX, asus pn532-e, tagan tg600 super rock, ubuntu 10.10, mint 9, and win 7 ultimate
    to be nice is an issue to me

Beans

Re: i stick to my fav. software

Quote Originally Posted by georgegerm View Post
    yes i admit i am very happy with it to the point i wish it would run on my fav. os linux (ubuntu)..
    in all honesty other than the security issues i have never have had a crash with it... i will admit i do not use the database function which maybe the cause you have these crashes... i only do minor adjustments and use it for almost all but database maintenanace so you may very well have a point....
    but this off subject matter anyway
    ps.i run it in xp and win7 and never let it touch vista myself
    Just want to let you know. I tried to install it and moved the libs so that acdsee finds them. But to no avail really. sadly, it does not start and breaks with an error.
    Misfunction etc..
    I assume that either some other MS services have to be installed or i don't know.
    I only run Newsbin right now and it works well, but i think it does not need any service.

My criticism was with the database. They never get it right.
    But i like the program and its quick. That was my point of buying it.
    In the wine database version 7 and up are regarded as garbage.
    Did you try it with CrossOver? Maybe it will work then.
    OpenSuse 11.3(64bit)+KDE 4.4.4+E8500+4GB+900GB HD+NVidia GT880 1GB
    -=2600=-
    My Testimonial

Beans

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Most people will prefer shooters and racing games to puzzle games.
    it depends on which system you have. Wii users like sports and xbox and ps3 like FPS's.

http://www.vgchartz.com/aweekly.php

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

here are a few thing where windows still beats linux.

1. internet connection sharing
    2. hardware installation/uninstallation
    3. software uninstallaion
    4. file & storage device management (windows got better icon system and file manager, plus easier navigation if you have too many hardrive partitions etc).
    5. networking for home users
    6. direct x equivalents
    7. sound recording & capturing
    8. control panel and computer management (mmc)
    9. file sharing and control
    10. ... feel free to add on this list (but i dont't think there are many left)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Windows is a niche market. It just does what linux can't do hahaha.
    Linux cheat sheet

If you can't afford to loose it, if you don't know how to get it back: back it up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I can show some examples why I've been mostly unsuccessful when trying to convert most of the people:

1) Home users:
    "I can't install and play this game! And this one does install, but works crappy... or I can't get the 1000fps I expect from my expensive graphics card on that game... and yes, another one of my favorite games doesn't work. No way!"
    "Someone gave me this cute little game, but I can't install it!"
    "You mean I can't install and use my [pirated] Photoshop? And I can't install and use my [pirated] <another_favorite_app> either?? No way!"

2) Business and professional users:
    "AutoCAD and Photoshop don't work on this?"
    - problems installing and configuring many existing printers or lask of drivers
    - it's hard for users to configure sharing and mapping in mixed environments themselves
    "Our custom application doesn't work!" or "it works, but does not look right, and our diacritics are missing!"
    - Online banking services using ActiveX components or are dependent on IE/windows somehow else
    - Local MSSQL databases
    "I cannot use Microsoft Office??"

which also leads to the point not directly linked to the OS used, but affecting it nevertheless :

3) all Office users
    "The important macro in my Excel table doesn't work!"
    "The tables in our Word documents are all messed up and even when I try to adjust them, it's very hard an they still don't look right"
    "I made this 'PowerPoint presentation' and brought it with me, but we couldn't open it!" *
    "I sent them my 'Excel table', but they said they couldn't open it!" *
    - while the last two examples (* marked) could be easily corrected, they still confuse the users. The first two ones are showstoppers though.

My experience showed that most people and businesses have at least one, and often more showstoppers Among those are also problems with installing hardware not mentioned above... and perhaps I even forgot to mention some other problems...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Take your money...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I wish Ubuntu could give me a really cool blue screen when it errors and cause my machine to spontaneously reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

What can Windows do that Linux can't??

A good graphing calculator like graphcalc 4.0 for windows. I love that program. Please someone make the linux version of that better than the windows version!!!! Its there waiting for someone smarter than me to make it shine!!!

Boots

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Windows has viruses, and linux doesn't...but most people are okay with that
    Football, Coffee, and Ubuntu...The three wonders of life

Page 152 of 289 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162202252 ... LastLast