Page 195 of 289 FirstFirst ... 95145185193194195196197205245 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,950 of 2881

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Quote Originally Posted by graceangela9 View Post
    Well there are lots of reason to prove that windows is better than Linux.First reason is that Linux is not reliable for games,it does not provide hardware vendor support and also software support.
    1. developers do not produce games for Linux.

2. try phoning Microsoft support because your HP printer doesn't work in Windows 7. MS Doesn't provide support for any software/hardware but their own.
    Linux Counter - 312953
    (on the 'new' DB)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Arathorn View Post
    I think gaming is the most important for a lot of people. Also a lot of professionals miss Photoshop.
    And all Adobe Collections there is...

Mind you, but it's really impossible to do serious design without Adobe... UNFORTUNATELY!

Until something changes I'll just keep dual boot on beastly PC and Ubuntu on my lil Lappy

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by graceangela9 View Post
    Well there are lots of reason to prove that windows is better than Linux.First reason is that Linux is not reliable for games,it does not provide hardware vendor support and also software support.
    Uh...no. Linux isn't reliable for games that are written for Windows. Sure that's most of the big names, but they're written for Windows, not Linux, and it's remarkable that Linux is able to run Windows software at all. Would you complain that a Russian has trouble reading stuff written in Spanish?

While we're on the subject, how many programs written for Linux are able to run in Windows?

Also, you have it backward, re. support. Hardware and software vendors provide support for the operating system, not the other way around. When they don't provide support, Linux developers will often try to find a workaround (e.g., Wine, the Linmodem project, etc.) to get it to work. But it's the primary responsibility of the hardware/software vendor to provide support, not the operating system's.

The things you're complaining about aren't evidence that Linux is faulty---they're a factor of it being a minority operating system. Secondary groups in any system or society always have to make more adjustments than members of the majority do; that's just the way it is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by peyre View Post
    While we're on the subject, how many programs written for Linux are able to run in Windows?
    You mean like Eclipse, Banshee, Gimp, Open/Libre-Office, Pidgin, NetBeans, Apache, MySQL, Inkscape, Kompozer, UbuntuOne, etc.?

Plus there are many open source programs that weren't so much written FOR Linux, but was actually released cross-platform like Firefox, Thunderbird and Chromium.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    You mean like Eclipse, Banshee, Gimp, Open/Libre-Office, Pidgin, NetBeans, Apache, MySQL, Inkscape, Kompozer, UbuntuOne, etc.?

Plus there are many open source programs that weren't so much written FOR Linux, but was actually released cross-platform like Firefox, Thunderbird and Chromium.
    Those are applications written in a Linux edition as well as a windows edition. In Linux, there are a few ways to get applications written just for windows, but no way that I know of to get an actual Linux application, written for Linux in linux code, to run on windows. The only reason Linux isn't "reliable" for games is because most games are made for windows only. Unless you actually have software written for the platform you use, then you're not gonna get it running.

Have you ever tried a game or app written just for Linux on a Linux distribution such as ubuntu? I have, and it greatly surpasses "reliable."
    Last edited by BlacqWolf; April 14th, 2011 at 05:50 PM.
    Full time Ubuntu user
    The history of Tux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What can Windows do that Linux can't?
    Take away lots of money from my pockets, time from my leisure, infest my computer with viruses, annoying me with its slowness, making me part of its corrupted business, etc...

Has anybody complaining for Linux pay/donate any cent for it?? I doubted.

As for the applications, the example of Graphic Design pop ups very often, all I can say is that a true Graphic Designer can find its way with Open Source software and in a much better form, photoshop?? been there, and for the money you pay for it I can hardly say is good enough.... cheers!!
    For your own record my native language is Spanish

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by BlacqWolf View Post
    Those are applications written in a Linux edition as well as a windows edition. In Linux, there are a few ways to get applications written just for windows, but no way that I know of to get an actual Linux application, written for Linux in linux code, to run on windows. The only reason Linux isn't "reliable" for games is because most games are made for windows only. Unless you actually have software written for the platform you use, then you're not gonna get it running.

Have you ever tried a game or app written just for Linux on a Linux distribution such as ubuntu? I have, and it greatly surpasses "reliable."
    Ever try to run a linux program in windows then? Sounds like you haven't, because you can run linux programs that don't have ports. All you need to do is build your environment first (IE: Cygwin for gnome.)
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans

Windows dominates hardware and developers support because of the sheer numbers of their OS running. Also, Linux comes from a family of OS which was originally not meant for a desktop user. The concept of desktop came much after the concept of Unix based systems which were made for enterprise or collaborative environment...

If we have even 60% of all the desktop users running linux, we would not have had this thread around!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think it's mostly that people don't know how superior Linux is. One disadvantage... I don't believe any Linux software is as good as Sony Vegas.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It functions, that is all lol.

Page 195 of 289 FirstFirst ... 95145185193194195196197205245 ... LastLast