Page 51 of 289 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Beans

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Quote Originally Posted by Frenske View Post
    Windows has a surplus of photo managing software packages. And no, F-Spot is not viliable alternative nor Kdigicam whatever the name. blueMarine is trying but it is a one man job and progress is painstakingly slow.
    I'm an amateur photographer, and I love gThumb for managing photos. Picasa is pretty, but not really usable in my experience.

Beans

http://www.comscore.com/press/release.asp?press=1521

217 Million online gamers worldwide. That doesn't include stand alone or console gamers. There are 305 million people in the U.S. So world wide there are as many online gamers as 2/3 of the entire population of the U.S.

“With one in four Internet users visiting a gaming site, playing games online is extremely popular. The fact that these websites are pulling in over a quarter of the total worldwide Internet population shows what a global phenomenon gaming has become.

WoW alone hit over 10 million current active subscriptions in 2008. That means that roughly 4.6 pct are actively playing WoW. Thats only a single title and only the people with current active subscriptions.

Obviously puzzle games will be the most popular. But still, those numbers don't look trivial to me. Especially since this is only concerning online games.

“Well, if you won't take action... “

Umm, did I say that? I don't think that I even implied it. I do use Wine whenever possible. For some games it works great. I tried Cedega but I saw no real advantage over Wine. Maybe if they can get Age of Conan to work, I'll consider it more. I feel that Linux is far superior to Windows and use use it as much as I can. I'm also learning how to program because I want to develop for Linux.

I play the games I want to play, because those are the ones that I want to play. I'll do what I have to do to make them playable. I am more concerned with playing the games I enjoy because I enjoy them, rather than trying to boycott companies that don't develop for Linux. If it means I have to shell out a few dollars to keep a copy of Windows around, then so be it. Actually, the only reason I run Sidux on my desktop rather than Ubuntu is that I couldn't get my gaming keyboard to work in Ubuntu. Link

It would be nice if game developers actually had the authority to determine what platforms they develop for, but in these types of organizations they don't. Not to mention that a lot of game development is funded by organizations like Microsoft. So not gonna see a lot of enthusiasm for Linux there. It's unfortunate, but that's the reality.

Beans

Windows is simple, you click and obtain result, under Linux you must cast spells in console on any step. Under win I plug my sinthesizer and it works, under linux its still a problem

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Run Sibelius 5.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; October 17th, 2008 at 06:21 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ivanhoe75 View Post
    Windows is simple, you click and obtain result, under Linux you must cast spells in console on any step. Under win I plug my sinthesizer and it works, under linux its still a problem
    I never knew I was a wizard with spell-casting skills. Thanks for letting me know!

*waves wand, chants, and holds toad under the light of a full moon*

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If Windows were that simple, I don't think we'd have tech support departments in schools, corporations, and organizations. The Windows computers would be set up and run themselves, and the "tech department" would just be sitting around twittling their thumbs. Such is not the case in any organization, I assure you. I don't even officially work in the tech department (I'm in the receptionist in my school's admission office) but I still get Windows users asking me every day for help with some problem or other they're having.

If Windows is simple to you, may I suggest you might have become a Windows expert?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cardinals_fan View Post
    I never knew I was a wizard with spell-casting skills. Thanks for letting me know!

*waves wand, chants, and holds toad under the light of a full moon*
    You must increase your spirit stats before using that spell.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sephoroth View Post
    You must increase your spirit stats before using that spell.
    Yes, I see that now. I'll have to stick with the 'newt and cantaloupe' spell for the moment.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ivanhoe75 View Post
    In Linux, I plug in my monitor, printer and webcam and it all works.

My webcam still isn't working consistantly under Windows, despite having the correct software and all the updates.

Don't judge entire systems from one experience. I personally never experienced video or any hardware problems on my computers with Linux, but that doesn't mean other don't.

http://www.sourcemage.org/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    I'm not l33t enough for sourcemage. Lunar left me with a badly damaged ego when I tried it last year.

Page 51 of 289 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast