Page 261 of 289 FirstFirst ... 161211251259260261262263271 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,610 of 2881

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Beans

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Quote Originally Posted by millerthegorilla View Post
    FLASHDEVELOP!!!!!!!!!! (and adobe creative suite)

also games. Latest, greatest, eyecandy, opengl optimised games!!!!

(although I now switched completely to linux (ubuntu studio) with an openbox install of windows 7 for some stuff)

Games are an advantage in Windows but many of the latest games run well under wine. The second quickest way to get a virus is online gaming. X-Box is for games

Eye candy versus viruses ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by frank cox View Post
    The second quickest way to get a virus is online gaming.
    I disagree with this. Downloading untrusted software (like game addons for example), hitting a compromised web server, especially when it involves java; javascript; activex; or flash, falling victim to social engineering, or loading a compromised email are some of the top ways systems are compromised.

I've personally never heard of someone being compromised by playing on-line games (unless your talking about those websites that host free flash and java games, then you may have a point). I suppose people could create malicious game servers etc... I've just haven't seen or heard of it. I highly doubt that is a primary way to infect pc's with malware.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    I disagree with this. Downloading untrusted software (like game addons for example), hitting a compromised web server, especially when it involves java; javascript; activex; or flash, falling victim to social engineering, or loading a compromised email are some of the top ways systems are compromised.

I've personally never heard of someone being compromised by playing on-line games (unless your talking about those websites that host free flash and java games, then you may have a point). I suppose people could create malicious game servers etc... I've just haven't seen or heard of it. I highly doubt that is a primary way to infect pc's with malware.
    I cannot tell you how many people have brought me there virus infected Billy Box because they downloaded software to play online games. The games that require no download are no problem but windows users are accustomed to being scammed into using all sorts of software they don't need from dial-up connection disks like AOL or NetZero to thinking they need a setup disk for a router and the whole time the router runs on Linux and is easily accessed through any browser.
    Also with windows all you have to do is be online to fall victim to a virus bot {spider} Windows is a catastrophe waiting to happen , I have several Linux operating systems on my machines, so I can always recover from a crash in less than 2 minutes but that almost never happens. Know you can buy a new Linux computer for less than $100.00 without the LCD less than $50.00 if you have a wireless mouse/keyboard already. I have other things to spend money on than 8 gigs of ram and powerful chips etc.
    Last edited by frank cox; November 30th, 2012 at 12:56 AM.

Beans

<toungincheek>
    windows can automatically wipe your whole hard drive when you try to install it. With Ubuntu you have to tell it whether you want to wipe the whole hard drive or not. Why do you suppose that the Ubuntu people can't eliminate all this hassle, and just wipe your hard drive without asking all those questions? This feature should be implemented IMMEDIATELY!!!!
    </toungincheek>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by picaflor View Post
    <toungincheek>
    windows can automatically wipe your whole hard drive when you try to install it. With Ubuntu you have to tell it whether you want to wipe the whole hard drive or not. Why do you suppose that the Ubuntu people can't eliminate all this hassle, and just wipe your hard drive without asking all those questions? This feature should be implemented IMMEDIATELY!!!!
    </toungincheek>
    What are you asking? I think this is a good thing. There are a lot of people out here that run more than one OS and want to use just part of the HD for Ubuntu. If you didn't have this choice you would wipe your other OS'.
    Widows is the one doing it wrong. They don't want you to run anything else. This is way you need to install Windows first before installing any other OS.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by picaflor View Post
    <toungincheek>
    </toungincheek>
    It is also not fair windows gets all the viruses and poor Linux is left out of the fun!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by frank cox View Post
    It is also not fair windows gets all the viruses and poor Linux is left out of the fun!
    Yea, it no fair. If by change I got a virus, the way I have my system setup I could wipe, and re-install everything and be back running in about an hour. (I keep all my file in the cloud. And all my emails are on line also).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    Yea, it no fair. If by change I got a virus, the way I have my system setup I could wipe, and re-install everything and be back running in about an hour. (I keep all my file in the cloud. And all my emails are on line also).
    One hour? Unless you have a ghost I don't think so. Of course I can simply reboot into a copy of my os {or another if I choose} and be up and running in 2 minutes. Even if I buy your hour, which I don't. I can recover Linux 30 times as fast.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    I might buy 2 hours if you are truly prepared . Of course you could ghost your system on a regular basis but how long does that take? With Linux I keep several copies of several versions on the drive at all times and boot up disks for Puppy Linux and the necessary savefiles so I can simply reboot if I ever manage to fry an os and be working normally in less than 2 minutes, 60 times as fast as a Billy Box.
    Here is another neat trick , I can buy a brand new computer for less than $100.00 or run on a machine I found in the trash!
    http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/mele-a100

http://www.element14.com/community/groups/raspberry-pi

http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/pro...0&CMP=KNC-GPLA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just for the record I never timed it, but I install OS' 5 to 6 times a year if not more times. I try different distros and then come back to Ubuntu. I do Alpha/Beta testing so I do a lot of fresh installs.
    I use an older Dell Inspiron 1521 for this and I have a 40 Mbps wired Internet connection. I do all my installing from a USB. From boot up and Install (fresh install) it take about 30 to 40 minutes. The first thing I do is setup my wifi and do a update on the base install.(about another 15 to 20 minutes). Like I said, I keep all my files and email in the cloud (Ubuntuone and Gmail). I have Google drive Ubuntu one and Dropbox and a few others. I keep a lot of stuff on remote drives also. This is where I am getting my statement that it takes me about an hour and I am up and running. My computer is usable. I have done this so many times it's second nature. (I also install Ubuntu on friend's computers and I have a server and a desktop running Ubuntu).
    As far as reinstalling applications I do this on the fly as I need them. I keep a list of apps that I use so I know what I need.
    The point being it is fast. I too also keep OS' on USB sticks so I could pop one in and boot to Puppy Linux or other distors.
    Last edited by irv; December 1st, 2012 at 10:59 PM.

Page 261 of 289 FirstFirst ... 161211251259260261262263271 ... LastLast