Page 182 of 289 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192232282 ... LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 2881

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Quote Originally Posted by penguinman007 View Post
    Well I tried ubuntu 5 years ago and grew tired of SUDU editing config files.

So, I try it again 5 years later and I cant browse web pages. Even though I have network access.

So what's the solution ?,

sudu edit some config settings file.
    I refuse to sudu edit obscure scripts just to get my new install of Ubuntu to browse web pages. So, how about you let me know when ubuntu can browse web pages.
    I installed puppy linux, that can browse web pages, Windows 95, that can, XP ? no problem. There are mobile phones that can browse web pages also.
    But not ubuntu.
    That can't.
    Well I tried ubuntu about 5 years ago and used sudo and could browse web pages.
    And I am still using it. I quit using Windows because I was being force to install virus protection software that slowed down my PC.
    The botton line: I would rather use sudo (for secureity reason) and not install software that slows my PC down.
    By the way, I needed to install drivers in Windows for my network card, and that is why I needed to sudo install driver for my network card in Linux.
    With the later releases of Ubuntu you can do it through System>Administration>Addisional Driver. You can make all the excusess in the world, but Ubuntu is much better then Windows, and I have been using computer since the 70's and I draw my conclutions from using them for all that time.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

So, how about you let me know when ubuntu can browse web pages.
    I installed Linux in 2001 and moved to Ubuntu in 2005. I have been able to browse web pages perfectly well without ever editing conf files since 2001.

By the way, one of the great strengths of Linux in general and Ubuntu in particular is the ability to edit conf files; to make the operating system do what you want it to do, not necessarily what some programmer in Redmond wants it to do, even if it doesn't meet your needs.

Would you care to move your issue here: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=336

We'll be glad to get you going. PM me if I can help.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

The most important thing that Win 7 does for me is display the charts from www.freestockcharts.com and www.investors.com using Silverlight. Never site works on Ubuntu. I dual-boot with Win 7 to use these sites and some minor things like syncing Zune mp3, etc.

But the lack of these sites are a deal breaker. Otherwise, Ubuntu would be my first choice.

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by richf View Post
    The most important thing that Win 7 does for me is display the charts from www.freestockcharts.com and www.investors.com using Silverlight. Never site works on Ubuntu. I dual-boot with Win 7 to use these sites and some minor things like syncing Zune mp3, etc.

But the lack of these sites are a deal breaker. Otherwise, Ubuntu would be my first choice.
    It is really MS and those sites' problem and not Ubuntu's. Silverlight is a MS technology and if it decides that it doesn't want to port it to Linux then there is nothing Ubuntu can do. If a site decides to host its contents with an obscure MS technology (very few sites use silverlight) then I will just treat it like the IE only sites and stay away, --but then I don't care for stock or investing.

BTW, you can view some silverlight sites if you install the moonlight pluggin to FF, though not those particular ones, I just tried. I almost feel dirty to have installed that but I was curious
    Last edited by beew; October 7th, 2010 at 08:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Simple Answer: nothing.
    Advanced Answer: Potentially nothing, just need developers to develop same category of software.

Seriously who cares. if it does what you need then that is the only thing that is important. I think a better question is. Out of the same things that both do what does better!
    I am not a PC! I am not a Mac! I am a Human Being! Windows was not my idea!
    Ubuntu = $0.00, Software = $0.00, Updates = $0.00, Freedom = PRICELESS!

Beans

I've heard admins find an equivalent of ActiveDirectory lacking.

It's more a case of them being not versed enough in linux perhaps but that's the way it is

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Fittersman View Post
    I just been wondering what other users have found that windows is able to do that linux (more specifically ubuntu) cant do...

so far the only thing i have found that i cant do anymore is gaming and a few online videos dont work sometimes

also, add anything to the list that makes one better or worse than the other, such as linux being practically virus free

Well Some Games do work under Ubuntu using a Program Called Wine i know it can play CnC3 its pretty nice.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMO View Post
    those videos you should copy the addresses for them and use mplayer at the command prompt, it's more likely to tell you what the problem is, more than not a missing dll or problematic codec.

I don't think gaming is that important to most people, only the very loud and the early adopters. once we're past this phase you'll find most new users don't play games or find the games available in Linux to be superior in the types of games they play (puzzle games etc)
    Welp, sorry to say, I have been using Ubuntu on my desktop and server with no windows since Feisty. BUT NOW there is this thing called Starcraft 2. I had a severe addiction to the first one, and just bought a new laptop so as to have a wondoze license so i can play. I am back tot he forum to figure out how to dual boot so I don't use wondows except while I am playing the game.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I have more games than I know what to do with.
    Most people buy a console anyways for gaming.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

when i installed winxp, i had it on for the first 10 or 15 mins before i got a chance to install a good firewall and antivirus and i got spyware and viruses so bad that windows froze and when i did a hard reboot, it wouldn't boot up. that's when i decided to check ubuntu out and been happy ever since because with ubuntu, i don't need a firewall or antivirus. the security is great!! plus with a little tweaking, wine works with the majority of windows games anyways and using playonlinux. so that's what windows can do, get viruses.

Page 182 of 289 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192232282 ... LastLast