Page 11 of 289 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Saying that hardcore gaming isn't important for most may be true on the surface.
    But in reality only shows lack of knowledge of the home computer industry.
    No really.... When you are into something, and hang around others that are into something and you seek out those sort of things - you start to assume it is *everyone* or at least a large portion of others when in actuality you are simply seeking those out. There is actually a term that describes something similar, about groups and majority and how someone thinks it is the majority because they are a part of it - just cant think of it.
    Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by regomodo View Post
    I'm finding this discussion about gaming not that big based on "that link" a little annoying.

A survey based on 3000 Americans? Come on. That's hardly a survey.

What can't i do in Linux?

- Engineering Software - CAD, Xilinx, Modelsim, Multisim, Solidworks
    -Use my Epson 4180
    -Convert a selection of mp3's from a large collection for an mp3 player in a simple to use manner i.e artist/album. Not folder name
    -Decent graphics gaming
    -Foobar2000
    -Virtualdubmod(at least the last time i checked)
    -Winrar(someone please recommend a decent substitute)
    -have that most loved blue screen
    if by that mp3 comment you mean that you want to bulk rename them, try "audio tag tool"
    for the winrar substitute, you could use ARK, i find it works well, and i was lookin in add or remove and i fould another one, i think its called RAR (well named, lol)

those applications are all in add or remove, so give em a shot
    HP Pavilion DV3-2150US
    Intel T6500 | 13.3IN WXGA | Intel GMA 4500MHD | 4GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Summit SSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rayker View Post
    I wasn't taking any offense from you, regomodo, and I wasn't trying to flame either. I have seen, many times, people suggesting that the lack of game support is the single most important thing holding linux based OSes from being mainstream and this attitude drives me bonkers. (This attitude isn't unique to gamers, though)
    I dont think anyone could credit it as being the SINGLE most thing. But in my experience at least its a huge issue with the people ive tried to convert.

All I have to tell them is the 3d games they like to play MAY not work in linux and if they do it will take serious work and "tinkering". Immediately after hearing this they decide to not even try it, and I dont blame them.
    If you are buying and playing new video games on your computer even 10% of the time you use it why switch? Especially if youre not a hobbiest and that "tinkering" required is annoying to you.
    ALOT of teenagers and 20-somethings play games and have for the last 10-20 years. Most of them really dont care about the ideology behind what theyre doing... they just want it to work, and be affordable.
    Blizz is making online games a world-wide sensation, and theres no indication of that trend going anywhere but up.

All I'm saying is that in MY experience, it is a big issue with most people IVE met.

However, I doubt its a governing factor. If linux wants to become mainstream they need to target big business. After all, thats how microsoft did it.
    I think Shuttleworth understands this and his goal is to make a self-sustaining core that varying parties can take over and develop. All it will take is companies like Dell to start distributing *nix systems at a LOWER cost (very important). Then the key is companies like Novell that are actually willing to market their product and provide professional SUPPORT. This is the biggest reason businesses choose microsoft. When something goes wrong, they at least have someone to hold accountable.
    Last edited by Praill; May 8th, 2007 at 03:42 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In Windows, I can edit maps in unreal editor. I can't in linux. Hardly can in vmware in linux. My mouse goes all wierd.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    I was responding to this statement: not this one
    I still retain my statement
    Imagination is more important than knowledge

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Praill View Post
    If you are buying and playing new video games on your computer even 10% of the time you use it why switch? Especially if youre not a hobbiest and that "tinkering" required is annoying to you.
    For me, that's the beauty of a dual boot...because the Linux based OS experience is so much greater (for me, at least), I prefer to stay there as often as I can...however, sometimes, I just NEED my game fix; it's really not worth it to me to try to get them working with wine (I've never heard of a single success story with GunZ:The Duel, and I don't even want to try it due to the fact that the server joining requires IE) Of course, there is the small amount of time spent in rebooting, selecting the OS and then rebooting back out, but that small time overhead is, typically, much less than I spent updating anti-virus, rebooting after said updates etc. (So, before mentioning any other benefits, I'm already in the black)

Granted, I'm not such a huge (PC) gamer--for quite some time, I haven't even purchased a new game. It's as if the gaming industry and I have grown apart. I can't see the point behind paying $50 for a game, then paying a subscription fee just to play the game; it's fine if I need to pay the subscription to play --some-- of the game, but for it to become a useless coaster after the subscription is over is senseless to me. As far as consoles go, I'm really more into the modification aspect. I love my emulators on my xbox.
    I am the 'Monster' -- 'Beelzebub' -- the chubby behemouth.

Gentoo is my primary, Fedora is a secondary/backup.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fittersman View Post
    if by that mp3 comment you mean that you want to bulk rename them, try "audio tag tool"
    for the winrar substitute, you could use ARK, i find it works well, and i was lookin in add or remove and i fould another one, i think its called RAR (well named, lol)

those applications are all in add or remove, so give em a shot

RAR. Are you sure that's in the add/remove? I found it in synaptic and it's command line based

I wasn't looking for a bulk renamer. Just something that can scan my mp3 collection for Artists/Albums and then allow me to browse that created list so that i can reencode them for my little mp3 player. 320Kbps ogg/mp3/wma and flac will either it up my mp3 player or just not work. Something like "Sound Juicer" (i think. not in Ubuntu ATM) but with a media library browser
    Is this for enhancing your E-peen?

Beans
    Hidden!

The Visual Studio IDE's for microsoft windows are amazing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMO View Post
    I don't think gaming is that important to most people, only the very loud and the early adopters. once we're past this phase you'll find most new users don't play games or find the games available in Linux to be superior in the types of games they play (puzzle games etc)
    Been using Linux for 7 years or so now and games are still the biggest issue for me and the reason why I still have to dual boot. I'd buy a console but I prefer M+K and console game prices are just horrid.
    Wine FAQ and Newbie Guide - http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ
    Please read This Page on how to install Wine.

RetroTracks.net - Classic Game Music Tracks

Beans

yes i havew to agree with that! Visual Studio is a great IDE and piece of software.

Windows is also able to enable the user to use wireless network without touching the command line

Page 11 of 289 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast