Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Tascam US-122 in Fiesty

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Tascam US-122 in Fiesty

Hi,
    @ jaywalker13,
    I'm sorry I'm really new to linux, I really don't know what the error means, if you have qtjackctl installed you shouldn't need to run it from the terminal it has a GUI with it, the fact that your US-122 isn't coming on all the time is going to cause you problems as well.

@dahouse,
    This is what I did, Open a terminal, type in "sudo gedit" and the path to your "rules.d" folder (i.e. sudo gedit/etc/udev/rules.d/55-tascam.rules) The gedit program should open a new window with your 55-tascam.rules file to edit. Delete any text that is already there. Copy and paste this: "BUS=="usb", ACTION=="add", SYSFS{idProduct}=="8006", SYSFS{idVendor}=="1604", RUN+="/bin/sh -c '/sbin/fxload -D %N -s /usr/share/alsa/firmware/usx2yloader/tascam_loader.ihx -I /usr/share/alsa/firmware/usx2yloader/us122fw.ihx'"
    BUS=="usb", ACTION=="add", SYSFS{idProduct}=="8007", SYSFS{idVendor}=="1604", RUN+="/bin/sh -c '/usr/bin/usx2yloader'"

Save your 55-tascam.rules file and you should be good to go.

PS: The best thing to do would be to copy the above text string directly from http://alsa.opensrc.org/Tascam_US-122 if mine doesn't work.

Beans

I did that, re did the entire tutorial, experimented with the text by removing the first quotation before the first BUS, and then removing the first and last quotation, all to no avail!

Anymore ideas guys? The light just doesn't wanna turn on.

I'm fairly certain my usb ports are powered.

thanks

Beans

Hi GMaq.

I can't believe it. The US-122 has sprung into life and I am now upsetting the neighbours with very loud music. (Where are you? I'm in Melbourne Australia, so you might not be able to hear it.)

Many thanks for your help.

I must have stuffed up the installation of jack and qtjackctl. Hadn't been able to find them in Synaptic Package Manager so downloaded from a website. Finally found where they showed up in Synaptic Package Manager. Installed both of them.

Opened qtjackctl from the menu as you said. I don't know what happened to make it work, but after a bit of fiddling with both audio and midi settings, it started to work.

The thing about US-122's lights coming on some of the time and not others might be due to a dodgy usb plug on my Dell 9300. It seems OK now (maybe) using a different usb. These machines have 6 usb plugs. Also, I wonder if any of the settings I did referred to one usb plug and not another. Hmm.

Not game to turn off the computer and start again as it might not work. I guess I'll have to leave it powered up until I move house.

Re. dahouse's problems with the quotation marks, I found this too. Copied and pasted the 55-tascam rules stuff and some of the quotes seemed to disappear. Had to carefully read it through and replace them. Must be something that happens with copying and pasting between Firefox and Terminal - maybe.

Cheers

Jay

Beans

OK. I celebrated too soon. Restarted the computer and no lights on the US-122.

Actually what happened on startup was the system did a forced check (on one of the volumes I think) and I was able to read on the screen:

"Starting kernel event manager
    udved [2867] add to rules
    invalid rule ' /etc/udev/rules.d/55-tascam.rules: 2'"

GMac, could you (or anyone else) advise me on this. Do I have to do something with the kernel? If so, how do I find out what to do?

Also, while it was working, I was only able to play music with Amorak. I could not play a CD in the CD drive or anything else.

Any advice on what to do or where to go to find out more information would be appreciated.

Regards

Jay

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

ok guys firstly I am very sorry for the misinformation in my original post.
    I just started from scratch and followed my own instructions.
    Indeed - it did not work.
    Ok after an hour I have finally realized what the problem is.

the alsa-firmware-loaders package.

this now looks for the firmware /lib/firmware/ not /usr/share/alsa/firmware/

5)
    Code:
     sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/55-tascam.rules
    the rules file is now open in gedit..

6) copy the following into the 55-tascam.rules file in gedit

Code:
     BUS=="usb", ACTION=="add", SYSFS{idProduct}=="8006", SYSFS{idVendor}=="1604", RUN+="/bin/sh -c '/sbin/fxload -D %N -s /lib/firmware/usx2yloader/tascam_loader.ihx -I /lib/firmware/usx2yloader/us122fw.ihx'"
     BUS=="usb", ACTION=="add", SYSFS{idProduct}=="8007", SYSFS{idVendor}=="1604", RUN+="/bin/sh -c '/usr/bin/usx2yloader'"

Save the file.

We need to put the usx2yloader firmware in the /lib/firmware folder

7)
    Code:
     sudo mv /usr/share/alsa/firmware/usx2yloader/ /lib/firmware/

Beans

WOOOOO! IT WORKS!!!!!

THANK A MILLION AND A HALF! That's alot of thanks

The light works. I haven't tested it though.

Now, does anybody know a tutorial for selecting the right soundcard? Or is there any software that allows you to select the default card on the fly?

Beans

Curses.

I followed your excellent instructions richardjennings, and made the changes to 55-tascam.rules but still get no green light, Strange because it has sometimes worked before. In fact the light came on when I started off this morning before I made the changes. Then I unplugged and replugged the usb cable - no light. Resarted 3 times - no green light.

I wonder if something else could be happening.

I would sure appreciate any ideas from anyone.

Thanks to all the people who have contributed, especially Richard.

Jay

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

jay i have realized another irregularity with the howto

i have added a 4b)
    Code:
    sudo cp -r /lib/firmware/usx2yloader /usr/share/alsa/firmware/
    this is probably why it didn't work for you. I apologize for the oversight.
    Last edited by richardjennings; May 16th, 2007 at 12:39 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

omfg i have finally made some more progress getting alsa to work correctly

sorry for the omg blah BUT - i am just so happy right this second.

I am finally listening to a video on youtube through my tascam us122

anyways - anyone who has followed the HOWTO so far,

change you 55-tascam.rules

add

Code:
    KERNEL=="pcmC[D0-9cp]*", ACTION=="add", PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c 'K=%k; K=$${K#pcmC}; K=$${K%%D*}; echo defaults.ctl.card $$K > /etc/asound.conf; echo defaults.pcm.card $$K >>/etc/asound.conf'"
    KERNEL=="pcmC[D0-9cp]*", ACTION=="remove", PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c 'echo defaults.ctl.card 0 > /etc/asound.conf; echo defaults.pcm.card 0 >>/etc/asound.conf'"
    after the previous rules.

ALSA should now work properly

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

this is the revised howto: aka post1. I'd like to think this is now completely correct. I apologize for previous inaccuracies.

revision 2 /16/05/07

I have followed several tutorials that have led to success. However every one I have found requires manually introducing the Tascam to Ubuntu after a reboot or an unplug.

This following procedure worked perfectly for me in Fiesty, is easy to do, and best of all - allows you to hot plug your Tascam, reboot & just generally take it easy.

I found the original tutorial here : http://alsa.opensrc.org/Tascam_US-122

Unplug the Tascam US-122 USB cable

1)
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install fxload alsa-firmware-loaders
    2)
    Code:
    wget http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa/ftp/firmware/alsa-firmware-1.0.14rc3.tar.bz2
    3)
    Code:
    tar xjf alsa-firmware-1.0.14rc3.tar.bz2
    3b)
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /lib/firmware
    4)
    Code:
    sudo mv alsa-firmware-1.0.14rc3/usx2yloader/ /lib/firmware/
    4b)
    Code:
    sudo cp -r /lib/firmware/usx2yloader /usr/share/alsa/firmware/

//revision 1

5)

Code:
     sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/55-tascam.rules
    the rules file is now open in gedit..

6) copy the following into the 55-tascam.rules file in gedit

Code:
     BUS=="usb", ACTION=="add", SYSFS{idProduct}=="8006", SYSFS{idVendor}=="1604", RUN+="/bin/sh -c '/sbin/fxload -D %N -s /lib/firmware/usx2yloader/tascam_loader.ihx -I /lib/firmware/usx2yloader/us122fw.ihx'"
    Save the file.

Plug in your usb cable and your tascam usb led should light up.

//revision 2

assuming it does, you can add another rule to 55-tascam.rules that automatically configures alsa to use the tascam as your default soundcard.

repeat step 5)

add below the previous rule:
    Code:
    KERNEL=="pcmC[D0-9cp]*", ACTION=="add", PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c 'K=%k; K=$${K#pcmC}; K=$${K%%D*}; echo defaults.ctl.card $$K > /etc/asound.conf; echo defaults.pcm.card $$K >>/etc/asound.conf'"
    KERNEL=="pcmC[D0-9cp]*", ACTION=="remove", PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c 'echo defaults.ctl.card 0 > /etc/asound.conf; echo defaults.pcm.card 0 >>/etc/asound.conf'"
    Save the file

unplug / plug your tascam back in.

Now alsa should be working correctly with the tascam!
    Last edited by richardjennings; December 24th, 2007 at 05:31 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast