Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Tascam US-122 in Fiesty

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Tascam US-122 in Fiesty

Thanks already for this great thread. I would have NEVER figured this out on my own. Still have a problem though. To get Ardour to accept the US-122 as input I installed qjackctl because whatever JACK component(s) come with Ardour2 weren't getting it done. I was able to figure out how to patch the connections so that I can record and playback however once I'm done and shutdown JACK Controller I lose system sounds. I can still play media but I can't hear my email notification sounds from Thunderbird or the other system sounds for various events. I'm a spoiled WinXP user so I want all that and don't want to compromise. I see that the system sounds appear to run on ESD which I'm guessing is being usurped by ALSA. Anyone know how to have EVERYTHING and not reconfigure when going between Ardour and normal use? Maybe JACK controller can be used to route everything to ALSA?

It was a VERY frustrating weekend trying to get this sorted out with little knowledge of how these sound components work together. At one point I had NO sound whatsoever! It probably doesn't help that my sound device is apparently ancient. This is an off-lease Dell that I got dirt cheap. Eternal gratitude to anyone who can make all sounds, input/output 'just work'....

desktop:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82850 850 (Tehama) Chipset Host Bridge (MCH) (rev 04)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82850 850 (Tehama) Chipset AGP Bridge (rev 04)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 04)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801BA ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 04)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801BA IDE U100 Controller (rev 04)
    00:1f.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM USB Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM SMBus Controller (rev 04)
    00:1f.4 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM USB Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 04)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11GL [Quadro2 MXR/EX/Go] (rev b2)
    02:07.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AIC-7892A U160/m (rev 02)
    02:0c.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado] (rev 78 )

UUGGH! Also just discovered that the volume control on the toolbar no longer controls the volume. This is maddening.
    Last edited by RgnKjnVA; November 19th, 2007 at 06:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by meowsus View Post
    I've tested up to step 6 in Gusty (Ubuntu 7.1) and i've got the most beautiful green light blasting from my Tascam US122.
    Same here. Followed Steps 1-6 and Gutsy, Tascam US-122 and Ardour are working like a charme. Thanks alot for the how-to!

Beans

Angry Re: HOWTO: Tascam US-122 in Fiesty

So I followed all of the steps (on a fresh Feisty install) and the US122 works fine, but JACK is now the issue. Here's the error

ALSA: poll time out, polled for 34892754 usecs
    DRIVER NT: could not run driver cycle
    jack main caught signal 12
    no message buffer overruns
    zombified - calling shutdown handle

It usually takes a couple of minutes, but JACK crashes hard, and stops.

Any ideas as to why?

Beans

That's where I'm at too. I've noticed however that if Ardour is already running JACK doesn't lock up my machine. If I try to run JACK Controller without Ardour it locks up my machine hard. Cold reboot the only recourse.

Beans

does anyone know how to get the us-428 to work with 64bit?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

i am at my wits end. really
    i tried every how-to on the subject but nothing gives. No green light for me (sob & cry). I caught myself thinking of reinstalling windows for the first time since i changed to ubuntu.

I got so far that my us 122 shows when i do lsusb and also when i do cat /proc/asound/cards. Every time i connect/reconnect the card gets a different device number though. And no flashing lights.

I have the feeling something went wrong at the very beginning, for instance i have no 'firmware' folder in my usr/share/alsa but an 'alsa-firmware-1.0.15'. If i remember correctly this was because some download link was broken and i had to get the stuff somewhere else. Also i have been trying so many howtos that are all slightly different that i get the feeling that they all work half but some of the files i am supposed to create already exist with the same name but not necessarily the same content. Maybe.

i just want to make music but i have been spending the last 2 days doing nothing but learning a lot about linux which is nice too but not nearly as satisfying as my primary goal.

So anyone who has a thought on this or is willing to help me in general do not hesitate to make yourself heard

if you help me get my soundcard working you will be liked & memorized for as long as i live.
    Last edited by eel; March 9th, 2008 at 02:12 AM.

Beans

Instead of going back to XP, I would try reinstalling Ubuntu and starting over if you think the problem is too many half-solutions, a phenomenon I'm familiar with as well. Other than that, it's hard to help without much info.

I'm curious to see if Hardy Heron makes audio connectivity easier. If I'm not mistaken the PulseAudio integration is supposed to make the audio config easier though I don't know what it will do to latency in a recording configuration. PA kinda sounds like JACK to me but I'm no pro at this stuff. JACK allegedly will give you a real-time environment but it simply doesn't play well with Gutsy in my experience and my latency is still running at 26ms (i.e. unacceptable). If Hardy doesn't deliver I'm considering the following as I've read it is what the Ardour dev/qa teams use...

What is Planet CCRMA at Home?

Planet CCRMA at Home is a collection of software packages that you can add to a computer running RedHat 9 or Fedora Core 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 to transform it into an audio/video oriented workstation (only on the 32 bit versions, Planet CCRMA has not yet been built on 64 bit versions of the underlying operating system). Here at CCRMA we use a consistent and well defined Linux environment for our daily work in audio and computer music and research. With the Planet CCRMA at Home package collection, you can easily install most of that environment on your own Linux system.
    http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrm...roduction.html

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

please check my last reply before trying to re-install Ubuntu: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...94#post4479394

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Hiya,

Just a quick update to this, the package/source in step 2 no longer exists.

It seems the latest version is found at ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/firmw...1.0.16.tar.bz2

so you'll need to add this into your code when you go through the tutorial.

Just using it now with gutsy and my trusty tascam us-122 so I'll let eveyone know if it goes well

Proud to be Vegan!

Beans

Gonna post this again just in case anyone has had similar trouble.

So I followed all of the steps (on a fresh Feisty install) and the US122 works fine, but JACK is now the issue. Here's the error

ALSA: poll time out, polled for 34892754 usecs
    DRIVER NT: could not run driver cycle
    jack main caught signal 12
    no message buffer overruns
    zombified - calling shutdown handle

It usually takes a couple of minutes, but JACK crashes hard, and stops.

Any ideas as to why?

I am going to go ahead and try to delete the udev rule and connect manually to see what happens, but I don't have much hope.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast