View Poll Results: Before you started using Ubuntu, what was your computer experience?

Voters
278. You may not vote on this poll
  • I earned my living as a programmer, system administrator, network administrator, etc.

34 12.23%
  • I did some kind of programming or other high-level/back-end software work, mainly volunteer.

30 10.79%
  • Other high level (describe)

3 1.08%
  • I dabbled in some programming every now and then.

73 26.26%
  • I didn't program, but I was a computer power user as part of my job.

9 3.24%
  • I didn't program, but I was a computer power user at home.

94 33.81%
  • Other mid-level (describe)

4 1.44%
  • I wasn't a programmer or a power user. I just did basic work.

24 8.63%
  • I knew virtually nothing about computers except clicking familiar icons.

6 2.16%
  • Other low level (describe)

1 0.36%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have to be a programmer to use Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Do you have to be a programmer to use Ubuntu?

Every now and then we get threads like this one, in which someone makes it sound as if you have to be a programmer to use Ubuntu.

Just trying to see to what extent that's true.

Answer this poll only if you're actually using Ubuntu on a regular basis.

And the answers are for before you started using Ubuntu. Your situation may have changed after you started using it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Do you have to be a programmer to use Ubuntu?

This is a good idea. I am curious to know as well. There is only one problem with this poll. It is equally distributed as low, middle and high level but most users are low level. So if there is an equal distribution in this poll I think it still proves that ubuntu and some programming or power user knowledge go hand in hand (though it doesn't mean one causes the other). A normal distribution should be heavy on the lower levels I think .

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, since by "use," frustrated users really mean "download, install, and configure," it's always going to be a little top-heavy.

But this should at least dispel the notion that you have to be a programmer to install and configure and/or use Ubuntu. Are you more likely to be a programmer? Sure. Given the lack of preinstall options right now (yes, even with the upcoming Dell deal), we'll definitely be a little top-heavy in this poll.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I wasn't quite up to the level of what I believe a power user was with Windows, but if there was a problem or if I needed to upgrade anything (hardware/software etc) or reinstall Windows, get into the registry etc, I could do it no problem. I now use Ubuntu almost exclusively at home (work I have no choice but use XP Pro).

No programming experience here at all. Don't think I could even if I tried. (lol) Am much more comfortable with the command line now. Something I thought I'd never be. Find I use it more and more as time goes on.
    · Compaq Presario 5630 PII, 400 Mhz, 384 MB RAM: Arch with XFCE 4.6, Antix, Debian w/LDXE
    · Dell Dimension 8200, P4 2.2Ghz, 1.5 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7 (vrtualbox)
    · Thinkpad R40, P4 M 2.0 Ghz, 1 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I was (and I still am) a computer science student
    The limits of my language mean the limits of my world

Beans

I have known a lot of programmers that had a hard time with Linux because even they were programmers they knew nothing about hardware and drivers and getting them to work.

I think if anything someone who is a builder of PC's and understands hardware and drivers would have an easier time.

Beans
    Hidden!

This is a loaded question and a straw man of the frustration people often have setting up Ubuntu sometimes. This thread was not intended to have a legitimate discussion of the real issue. It was created to demonize people who have a hard time setting up Ubuntu.

Beans

I think a lot of people think that programmers are the most knowledgeable about computers in general. I know people in CS whose knowledge of general computer stuff is lacking compared to my own. I am a management student and a gamer, but I've learned a lot of general computer knowledge over the years.

Beans

Before ubuntu, I guess I would consider myself a windows "power user" at home, but no so much. I played high-end games, and always fixed mine and other people's computers when they had problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I guess you could say I was a power user... Certainly wasn't a programmer.

Mateo, what is the real issue?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast