View Poll Results: Do you think creating Linux Compatible Games would be profitable for Game Developers?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

109 77.30%
  • No

32 22.70%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux Games

Beans

Re: Linux Games

Apples had this problem for years, until certain very popular games began to release simultaneously with Mac and Windows. Over time, if you gain enough market share, software vendors naturally will support your OS.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by qamelian View Post
    This logic doesn't wash. Back in the late 80's and early 90's game companies were quite capable of making a profit from games for OSs with a much smaller user base than Linux. By this logic, no one ever would have written a game for the Commodore 64 because it's user base at its peak was only about 20% of the current estimated number of Linux users.
    Back in that day games did not cost multi million dollars to produce current games are a huge investment.

Beans

I've had the idea before that game makers could make games as a Live-Distro type thing that boots straight to the game. It doesn't matter what OS you have installed on your PC because the OS is on the disc. Also you get much better performance because the OS is tweak/customized for the game. While Linux is technically capable I don't think this kind of marketing with closed source commercial games agrees with the license. Maybe BSD?

Lightbulb Re: Linux Games

Can everyone sign this please!
    http://www.petitiononline.com/ibpfl/petition.html
    It's a petition for blizzard to make linux installers!

-

The more people to sign it the better! It could be a step towards linux gaming!

Digg it here - http://digg.com/pc_games/Help_get_na...or_Starcraft_2
    Last edited by mrmonday; May 20th, 2007 at 12:42 PM.

Beans

linux users dont need games to play
    they hav their distros to play wid

Beans

Buy a console. Problem solved.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by twogunmickey View Post
    I've had the idea before that game makers could make games as a Live-Distro type thing that boots straight to the game. It doesn't matter what OS you have installed on your PC because the OS is on the disc. Also you get much better performance because the OS is tweak/customized for the game. While Linux is technically capable I don't think this kind of marketing with closed source commercial games agrees with the license. Maybe BSD?
    Won't happen it takes way too long to start up from a live cd, and that is from a cd alone.. would not want to think what would happen with a game of 7 gb

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by EdThaSlayer View Post
    Why would any gaming company target a user base that is small?
    Also there are so many different Linux distros and each has slight differences and that could pose a problem for the game developers. Hopefully with Dell seling Linux pcs this should change.
    Every commercial game installer that we do have works with any distro flawlessly. It doesn't matter that we are small, it's still possible for them to easily make a profit. It is possible to make a game engine that will compile for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Just look at Ogre. With Ogre, you write your code once, and compile binaries for different OSs. I know it's open source, and game companies won't want to use open source, but that is just an example that it is possible to easily make games that work on multiple OSs.

Quote Originally Posted by mech7 View Post
    Back in that day games did not cost multi million dollars to produce current games are a huge investment.
    Actually, the investments put into Commodore games were huge. You have to remember, they didn't have nearly as much to work with back then, and it took more resources to make a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by koshatnik View Post
    Buy a console. Problem solved.
    I really hate that argument. You're right, it would solve the problem, but today's consoles cost as much as or more than a good computer. I don't have that kind of money.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by twogunmickey View Post
    yeah, its a good idea in theory. but being a live CD its bound to be slow.

I thought of a possible solution though.
    What if the game comes on a bootable usb drive instead of/along with a CD.
    just plug her in, boot her up and your set!
    Bombs to set the people free, blood to feed the dollar tree
    Flags for coffins on the screen, oil for the machine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Games is one of the most important reasons that windows users don't switch to Linux. So i don't think that a small community is the reason why game developers don't spend time on native Linux games.

I think its a Microsoft conspiracy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast