Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Can you add this important link to the sticky thread first post ?
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCKnownIssues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Arrow Where To Download Ubuntu Jaunty (9.04) For PowerPC

Link to download ISO images for
    Ubuntu Jaunty
    Xubuntu Jaunty
    Kunbuntu Jaunty

List of all Ubuntu torrents
    http://torrent.ubuntu.com:6969/

Link to download minimal CD
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

Link to download intrd and kernel for PowerPC (to boot also from USB Stick, netboot,...)
    http://ports.ubuntu.com/dists/jaunty...aller-powerpc/
    Last edited by tiresia; May 28th, 2009 at 11:08 PM.
    PowerMac G5 Debian Squeeze - MacOSX Leopard / Lenovo 3000 N200 Debian Wheezy
    PowerPCFAQ, PowerPCKnownIssues, Booting the Installer on PowerPC, Yaboot - How to configure the PPC Bootloader

Beans

I am having no luck attempting to replace Mac OSX on a Mini-Mac 1.42Ghz PowerPC G4 system.

The only version I see that works with a PPC is Fedora and due to copyright issues, Fedora will not support DVD encrypted movies nor MP3 without special plug-ins. I have installed the "Mini" version (small 15 meg base of essential files) of the LiveCD for the PPC but it always boot to the OSX main window. Anyway to force OSX to boot from the CD first?

Anyway to get a link for Unbuntu 9.04 version for the PPC Mini-Mac? I have Unbuntu installed on all the the other systems with excellent hardward compatability results.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dynamicsys1 View Post
    Anyway to get a link for Unbuntu 9.04 version for the PPC Mini-Mac? I have Unbuntu installed on all the the other systems with excellent hardward compatability results.
    the post just before yours has links to all the PPC Jaunty downloads.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    the post just before yours has links to all the PPC Jaunty downloads.
    I did download and burn the ISO file for the LiveMini CD (14.5 megs) version listed above and the MAC OSX still boots up to the MAC OSX screen.

Is there a special command I have to issue to force a hard install from the ISO file on the LiveCD on the MiniMac?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by dynamicsys1 View Post
    Is there a special command I have to issue to force a hard install from the ISO file on the LiveCD on the MiniMac?
    Press the C-Key at bootup - and read the FAQ about PowerPC
    PowerMac G5 Debian Squeeze - MacOSX Leopard / Lenovo 3000 N200 Debian Wheezy
    PowerPCFAQ, PowerPCKnownIssues, Booting the Installer on PowerPC, Yaboot - How to configure the PPC Bootloader

Beans

I'm so thankful that I found and read this thread I'm having difficulty in downloading the Ubuntu PowerPC. Posting this thread is very helpful especially to us newbies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

the ubuntu website, just click ppc as your archetecture

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Exclamation Re: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy4041 View Post
    Yellow Dog - good support for G4s and over, sells PS3 with YDL preinstalled but has outdated packages

Ferdora- Bang up to date with packages, I think that it's also hidden, though.
    Here's my 2 cents worth on the distros i've tried:

[Yellow Dog Linux] not only has outdated packages, but not very many of those. For instance, only the core SDL library was available, so exactly two games worked on YDL. The YDL mail list recommended adding a Red Hat repo, but that didn't work for me and they offered no more assistance beyond that. That was a while ago, though. The newer releases are DVD only, no live test, and are aimed at PS3 users. Thus it may run but not provide all drivers for Apple hardware.

[Fedora] churns out new releases whether they are ready or not. Fedora 10 was never able to make any sound on my G4 PowerBook no matter how many of their fixes i tried. Never mind, they ignored that and blithely went on to Fedora 11. DVD is the default install, and you have to hunt around to find the alternate 7 CDs. Yes, that's right the system insists on installing all 5 gigabytes of packages whether you need them or not. That includes drivers for hardware you don't have and languages/fonts you probably won't use. Then every time this cruft gets updated, the system wants you to download the latest version of uselessness. Even if you are geeky enough to trick the system into deleting this stuff, it will still come back to you every time they update. The PPC release does not offer a live test like they do for other platforms, nor is there a KDE disc for PPC. The security model used in Fedora is somewhat different than Ubuntu and so the 'sudo' command does not work like we expect it to. F10 does not include drivers for Applish things like pbbuttonsd, so i had to use the 'alien' utility to convert an existing debian package into an installable RPM package. If you want check it out, look here: http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-ppc.

P.S. The link for Debian is already out of date. Start here: http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/. Not to nitpick, but i don't see any *.iso for squeeze/testing, and no indication on the debian pages as to how to get it.
    Last edited by Doctor J.; June 24th, 2009 at 11:16 PM. Reason: updated Debian link

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Cool Detailed instruction to install Ubuntu 8.04 on iBook G4

Hello there!
    I'm so desperate to get ubuntu working on my iBook G4. I have both the desktop and alternate cd images downloaded. Could you give me a detailed step by step instruction to take me all the way through.

From my experience, I have problems getting past the hard disk formatting stage now. It freezes at 33% and fails.

Please respond asap. I need it urgently.

Thanks,

Cruising

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast