Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Beans

Re: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

thanks

Beans

alright i am new to this but i was serching for an alternateive to osx on my powerbook g4 17 in.

i see that 12.04 can be installed via live disc but can i install it on my hdd if i so wanted to?

also is there any instructions on how to properly install some of the builds?

and last but not least, what is the best build for the powerbook g4?

Thank you for your help ahead of time
    boneskid1

Beans

I am new to this too, at least to buntu on ppc. I burned the lightest version of the buntus, lubuntu 12.04 for my G4 ibook, the regular live CD ("Desktop CD" as oposite to "alternate install CD") is the simplest, it is all wizard run and easy. Full HD install option is availabe as soon as you are booted in the live CD. Make sure you get the powerpc build for for the G4.

I got some very good help with a bug in the boot up stage, that might pop up. It turns out you need to run the command "live b43.blacklist=yes" in the black screen, then after install "Linux b43.blacklist=yes".

All applications seem to run fine, though I still have not sorted out wireless, and there are probably more that needs atention along the way. Having wired connection to network available will make it easier.

There are few mac users that take the bother with alternatives to OSX, but if you have hardware abandoned by apple or want to do something out side the confindments of OSX, it is very nice to have alternatives.

It might be helpful with a new sticky thread for the latest 12.04 version, as this thread is getting loooong
    Last edited by 2blue; July 8th, 2012 at 03:34 PM.

Beans

Loading 12.04 onto a 2001 Quicksilver G4. Used the Ubuntu alternate iso, burned at slow rate, everything went smooth up until I got the 'yaboot failed to install' message. Searched for nearly a week on the interwebs, was able to edit the yaboot.conf file, saved it, and when it came time to run ybin, that's where the fun begins. For a while I was getting 'permission denied,' but found i was entering the wrong command (apparently), now I'm at a point where it says,

'could not create temp file, error in building the first stage of loader.'

I can't for the life of me (or maybe I'm not looking in the right direction) find a way to correct this error.

Does anyone have any ideas??

Thanks.

Never mind. I figured it out. Now I just get a grey screen at boot on the ubuntu side, otherwise mac os x boot like a charm.
    Last edited by miguelbaines; August 20th, 2012 at 06:05 AM. Reason: somewhat solved my own problem

Beans

Angry Re: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

hi.
    (violins please)
    i'm another frustrated mac ppc user trying to get more life from an old machine rather than throwing it out and getting a new one as apple would love us to do. i have a G5 powermac and for a while now have been feeling like i've been left behind, with applications being made only for the intel macs. i had a friend recently make me aware of ubuntu as an alternative to mac osx. after a brief look on the web i tried a ubuntu 6.06 live cd which seemed to work fine. i backed up and installed it only to find a string of problems arise. it seems as though every time i try to do something, there is something that prevents me from doing it. i was hoping (and was lead to believe) that ubuntu is "easy to use" but it seems to me that its only people that use computers A LOT anyway that are saying that. i'm almost at the point of giving up and jumping back into the giant consumerism vortex, but i saw this thread and thought i'd see if there's anyone still reading it that may have the experience to help. here are a few of the issues i can think of right now:

- i have 2 hard drives in my computer, of which only one seems to be available to me now.

- i can't get newer versions of ubuntu to run on my computer (i have tried 10.04 and 12.04 as live cds)

- using ubuntu 6.06, i can't get the latest firefox version and have had trouble browsing the web as a result.

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Posts in this thread just get ignored. Despite repeated pleas to the mods to lock the thread, they won't.

Please do not post in this thread with questions, but start your own thread. People will then be able to find your post easily when searching for the same problem. Having said that, pretty much every question is already answered in the PowerPC FAQ and Known Issues wiki pages. See post 1 of this thread (this is the only post of the thread that you need to read). There is A LOT of bad advice on the internet and these wiki pages are an attempt to give you good reliable advice. Please help to keep them updated.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCKnownIssues
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads

Beans

oops saw the first part of the thread

Beans

Exclamation Re: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Hello!
    I recently bought a PowerBook G4, 1.33Ghz, 1.25Gb of RAM, 80GB HDD, and I realized it just sucked. There's no software support. I got the download listed above and installed it onto a disk.
    When it boots to the disk I get an invisible toolbar on the left, that when I scroll my mouse over it the tags show up, but no buttons. The desktop area is white, and when I open the "Install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS" button, nothing happens. I've tried booting in live, live-powerpc, live-nosplash-powerpc, live-nosplash, and any other option in that menu LOL.
    Screenshot: Here

Before anyone says anything about the disk, I've installed Ubuntu before and I know what I'm doing, as per the disk's burning.

Thanks all!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation Fix for thread? WAS Re: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC

I'm not active in PPC anymore (though for some reason I still subscribe to this topic). I want to offer a suggestion for this sticky PPC entry --

I think if someone writes a NEW entry that reiterates the links to the PPC FAQ info PLUS tells folks to DO NOT REPLY to the sticky entry UNLESS they are correcting some incorrect info in the sticky topic ITSELF. Folks with PPC questions need to create a NEW forum topic with the [PPC] subject tag.

Once the new post is written, the author can ask the moderators to please make the new post sticky AND to un-sticky the ancient one. I hope they would agree to that, because it won't leave the forum bereft of stickied PPC wisdom.

After that point, when folks ignore what the sticky topic says and add entries onto the new sticky FAQ post, folks can help by flagging the off-topic postings and the moderators can move the postings to a new topic or delete them or whatever.

I suspect the moderators will agree to sticky a new post. The PPC FAQ on the Wiki looks really excellent (especially compared to the old days) and there's a lot of good current info in other topics, we just need to help folks know to use the [PPC] tag so folks like faintingeagle can find what they need.

(BTW, faintingeagle, I saw someone else posted the exact same problem on this board just a few weeks back. I am not going to say any more about it here. I posted a link to it on your own visitor messages page.)

Beans

Hi, i'm testing a daily build of 12.10 (downloaded yesterday) and i can't use any desktop environment. I removed Unity and installed GDM and Gnome-Shell but nothing helped.

Using a PowerBook G4 (5,4).

EDIT: It seems like Kubuntu 12.04 LTS is running without errors from the Live CD. But due to some weird error i can't install it on my HDD.

Please, i am messing around with video options in kernel before boot and nothing worked (even caught a kernel panic) - radeonfb, offb and ofonly... NOTHING WORKED.
    Last edited by rafaelfrequiao; September 4th, 2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: No Flood, plos

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast