Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Beans

Re: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Quote Originally Posted by pkmgarf View Post
    ^^^You cannot boot off of the USB ports on your G4, as they are USB 1.1, which is not sufficient for a boot device.

As for what kind of Linux to run, you can try the link just above your post. It links to a development release, but you can try the Live CD and see how it works on your particular system. (note - the PowerPC image is oversized right now, and will not fit on a CD. give it a few days, and it should be fixed, I think).

Otherwise, for a machine that isn't running a alpha/beta/testing install, I would recommend grabbing a Debian Squeeze PowerPC install CD, and use that.

Regardless, just about any modern Linux install you do will run circles around the functionality of MacOS 9.
    I just booted and installed Ubuntu 10.04 from a live cd via a usb cd-rom on a blue G3/350 with an 8 gig drive and 512mb of ram. I would think that the G4 can do it also.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I was referring to booting from a USB flash drive.

Beans

I was referring to booting from a USB flash drive.
    So you got me curious. If I can boot a usb-cdrom drive, I should be able to boot a stick.

So, I created a thumbdrive with a xubuntu-powerpc live cd, and viola, it boots!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

^^^^Really??

That is really surprising to me. I could have sworn nothing without USB 2.0 was capable of booting a flash drive.

How large was the image yo downloaded for Xubuntu? I've not used a flash drive to install from brefore, but I imagine that if it's a full size (~700 MB) image, it probably takes a LONG time to load.

Beans

As rsavage said, just click "use whole disk." That will take care of it for you.

To explain what we are talking about though:

partition 1 is a small partition that all New World macs need to boot (It's not any part of MacOS at all, but simply a boot partition)

partition 2 is the partition that yaboot (the bootloader that is used for your machine) lives on - in a single OS environment this partition points the system to the next partition to actually boot Linux (if dual/triple booting, it points to each of the respective partitions).

partition 3 is the Linux file system

partition 4 is swap space

Just thought I'd break it down a little. With Linux, it seems, the more in depth you understand something, the more luck you have bringing it back if/when something goes wrong.
    Thanks for the explanation, pkmgarf. That helped a lot!

Beans

^^^^Really??

That is really surprising to me. I could have sworn nothing without USB 2.0 was capable of booting a flash drive.

How large was the image yo downloaded for Xubuntu? I've not used a flash drive to install from brefore, but I imagine that if it's a full size (~700 MB) image, it probably takes a LONG time to load.
    The image is a standard ISO image, that happens to be to big for a CD (grrr) I am trying several different methods to find the easiest way to do a full install. I hope to write a guide for it. It takes 5 min. to boot up the live "CD", then about an hour to copy and install. I had a problem with dpkg hanging when cleaning up. That is one of the reasons I am trying different ways to make this easyier. It worked fully, complete install, just trying to get rid of glitches.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by blckjck View Post
    The image is a standard ISO image, that happens to be to big for a CD (grrr) I am trying several different methods to find the easiest way to do a full install. I hope to write a guide for it. It takes 5 min. to boot up the live "CD", then about an hour to copy and install. I had a problem with dpkg hanging when cleaning up. That is one of the reasons I am trying different ways to make this easyier. It worked fully, complete install, just trying to get rid of glitches.

Did you ever get around to writing a guide or is there one around to boot the iso image off a flash drive on a PowerPC Mac? I have an eMac G4 and have yet to get this to work.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

FYI -
    have found a new provider of mozilla firefox for apples with PPC architectures. Google for tenfourfox or click to http://tenfourfox.blogspot.com/ where you can find a PPC version of the latest firefox for PPC. Dunno about ubuntu for PPC's - sorry.

There is no spoon
    Best ubuntu pocket guide
    Can't believe, i've just spent 50 years writing COBOL code - oh, and i still love it

Beans

Hello I am writing because I have problems installing Ubuntu on my PPC G4 eMac. I want to install version 10.0.4 and I have no video.

Ubuntu is installed because you hear the sound when you start the operating system but I have no video.

I could say that Ubuntu would run on my eMac:

Información del hardware:

Nombre del equipo: eMac
    Modelo de ordenador: PowerMac4,4
    Tipo de CPU: PowerPC G4 (2.1)
    Unidades de CPU: 1
    Velocidad de la CPU: 800 MHz
    Caché de nivel 2 (por CPU): 256 KB
    Memoria: 1 GB
    Velocidad del bus: 100 MHz
    Versión de la ROM de arranque: 4.4.9f1
    Número de serie: G8316285NUF

Thanks!

Beans

How do I start the GUI, or do I have to download it. It also said that there wers some problems with y graphics card. I am using an iBook g3.

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast