Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Quote Originally Posted by jhicks124 View Post
    Now I downloaded that, but it doesn't fit on a CD (744 mb)...is there a way too boot it from a flash drive? ...my old G4 doesn't have a DVD drive...
    744MBs? The one I downloaded was 710, which I'm assuming fits via overburn. Try downloading the minimal CD
    "Microsoft Windows: A collection of 32bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit O.S. originally coded for a 4bit microprocessor written by a 2bit company who cant stand 1 bit of competition." Jargon File 4.4.7

Beans

If you want to try unity-2d, install unity-2d-default-settings from synaptic, then install my debs from this post to fix the colours and the mouse edge detection.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...1&postcount=13
    Registered Linux User #407403

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Where do we put these? In sources.list? By the way, I am using the PPC Version of 10.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jhicks124 View Post
    Now I downloaded that, but it doesn't fit on a CD (744 mb)...is there a way too boot it from a flash drive? ...my old G4 doesn't have a DVD drive...
    Google your prefered flavor of Ubuntu PPC. I am using 10.04 LTS for PPC Platforms now, so I know they have PPC Editions of 10.04 and earlier. All you have to do is download it, and if you are using Mac OS X (on a PPC Mac), go to Disk Utility and drag the file to the white space in Disk Utility, (make sure it is NOT MOUNTED, and by it, I mean the .iso file.) Click it and click "Burn". Stick a CD in the drive, and wait until it gets done burning. Stick the CD IN THE DRIVE BEFORE SHUTDOWN. Shutdown the PPC Mac. (If I haven't mentioned yet, there is a Ubuntu site where there is problems that were found while using the PPC Edition such as distorted volume.) Hold down the "C" key. If everything went okay and worked out, it will boot a LIVE copy of Ubuntu without Installing in about 5 minutes or less. If you wish to boot Mac OS X again, just shutdown the computer, reboot it without holding the "C" key. (I am running Ubuntu 10.04 PPC Edition now, so it does fit on a DVD and CD.)

Hope this Helps!
    Patrick.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hey Guys! Thanks for all of the comments made. I have installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my eMac (1.0 GHz) and it runs and boots, successfully. I have steps on how to install Ubuntu on your G3,G4, or G5 mac. This works with the following systems: iBook (G4), iBook Clamshell, eMac G4 (all of them..), PowerBook G4 and G5, iMac (G3, G4, G5), and other G3,G4, and G5 machines. This also works with some IBM machienes. This easy guide that I made will show you how to boot a live CD of Ubuntu without Installing anything (unless you want to install Ubuntu.) You can install Ubuntu to your HDD if you want. It boots by itself, however, since PPC doesn't support "GRUB", it runs "yaboot". The guide below explains all this... By the way.... You must be running Mac OS X on your mac to do this. Do this guide on a G3,G4, or G5 mac. Thanks.....

1) Navigate your browser over to http://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads.

2.) Locate your preferred Ubuntu "Flavor". I am running 10.04 PPC Edition, so I'm sure you'll find something. If possible, do not use the ftp:// links.

3.) Click the link (in http:// format) and again click the link that says "Mac (PowerPC) and IBM-PowerPC (Power5) Desktop CD". Please note that these releases are for G3, G4, and G5 Macs and IBM-PowerPC computers.

4.) Download the image (while using Mac OS X. Use the computer that you are wishing to install or 'test' Ubuntu on.. If you can't do this... It's fine). It should take around 2 to 2.5 hours on a generic DSL connection. If you are on dial-up, you may want to let it download during the day or at night.

If you are using Safari 3.0 or higher, when it gets finished (before it mounts), it may ask you the following messages in the downloads window:
    "Mounting/ or Downloading this may harm your computer"
    "(Name of File) contains an application. Do you want to continue?".
    Click "Continue" to both of these.

If you are using Firefox, you should be fine.....

5.) If you were using Safari, it most-likley mounted the image on the desktop. Drag the "Flash Drive looking" icon to the dock where the trash is at. This should eject it. If you were using Firefox, it gave you a prompt at the beginning. If it mounted, eject it the same way, but DON'T DELETE THE .iso FILE!

6.) Open Mac OS X's "Disk Utility" application. Search it in Spotlight or locate it in your Finder window (Applications (Folder) > Utilities > Disk Utility.

7.) Once you have it open, drag the .iso file to the blank (white) part under the "Device Sources".

8.) Once you have that done, click on the .iso file and (in the upper left hand corner of the window..) click "Burn". It worked for me, but it may not work for you: it may or may not fit on a "CD".

9.) Follow the on screen prompts and click "Burn".

10.) Once it has burned, depending on what you clicked, it will eject it or mount it. If it ejected it, stick it back in the drive. It should "mount" on the desktop.

11.) Close all applications and SHUTDOWN the mac. Do not unplug the cord (DC Cord).

12.) Turn on your mac. The SECOND YOU HIT THE POWER BUTTON, Let it go and hold down the "C" key. Hold the "C" key while the screen is still black, but the computer is ON. This is where the timing matters.

13.) If you downloaded the right copy (PPC, NOT INTEL), and everything went right, in about 5 minutes or less, you should have a live copy of Ubuntu booted. I would suggest backing up your OS X partition before you install.

Also, I am NOT NOT NOT responsible if you try to do this and possibly mess up your mac. It worked for me and I have it installed. By the way, don't screw around with "GParted" because if you delete a very small partition, you can delete your Mac OS X partition and it may delete if you mess with it, even if you don't think it will. So, it's safe to stay AWAY from GParted unless you know what you are doing. It worked for me, and I have it installed, so it should work for you. This is a post to answer all of your questions. If you need help, you can message me and I will help.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

They haven't uploaded Unity for PPC Systems yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Grexe View Post
    wish I had found this thread earlier - had to go through Ubuntu->Kubuntu migration because I could not find the PPC ISO with Google

A note on repositories: I also had problems in finding repositories, also for Austria, the mirrors that are configured by the installer do not offer any PPC-binaries, so this is actually a bug.

You can use this handy repository-generator but be sure the mirror you select offers PPC-packages (just open one of the repository-URLs in your browser and look in dists/<your distro>/ if it contains a PPC-directory.
    In my case, I had to switch to "Germany", you may want to pick the closest match that offers PPC-packages.
    Hey guys... I posted how to install the Ubuntu PPC edition the other day.. Maybe you should check it out.

Beans

Can somebody expand the explanation of how to do a proper 7.04 full Xubuntu install? Right now it simply says "It would be possible to install with this and then upgrade to the final release." which is a little vague for newcomers.

Does anybody know why there's no Xubuntu PPC final? Arguably it's the most useful of all the Ubuntus for PPC users, since it tends to cater to machines of a spec lower than that you'd want to comfortably run OSX on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jamielooiswong View Post
    Can somebody expand the explanation of how to do a proper 7.04 full Xubuntu install? Right now it simply says "It would be possible to install with this and then upgrade to the final release." which is a little vague for newcomers.

Does anybody know why there's no Xubuntu PPC final? Arguably it's the most useful of all the Ubuntus for PPC users, since it tends to cater to machines of a spec lower than that you'd want to comfortably run OSX on.
    7.04 is unsupported, install a later version and then just install the xubuntu-desktop package.
    "Microsoft Windows: A collection of 32bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit O.S. originally coded for a 4bit microprocessor written by a 2bit company who cant stand 1 bit of competition." Jargon File 4.4.7

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MacHackers View Post
    They haven't uploaded Unity for PPC Systems yet.
    Erm, what do you mean? Both unity and unity-2d are in the daily builds, and if you enable the unity-2d ppa, although there are no binaries the source builds easily. I have 3.8.8 on my G5 and very nice it is too. For the reluctant to compile, I put ppc debs here (for 11.04):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18375146/uni...1%7Ebzr631.zip

enjoy...

EDIT: I don't have the latest version on dropbox. These work but the latest builds are much improved.

Add the daily unity-2d ppa to your sources and then follow this procedure to build the latest released source. It's easy and the latest builds are really slick!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...18&postcount=2
    Last edited by pauljwells; August 18th, 2011 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Broken link
    Registered Linux User #407403

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast