Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Beans

Re: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Hi, I am somewhat new to Ubuntu but I have it installed on my PS3 (I am running 9.10) I am having a hard time finding software for PPC64 Ubuntu 9.10 does anyone know any good sources?

I am specifically looking for emulators

Also it would be good if the files .deb because i have yet to successfully install anything from tarballs with the exception of Opera which came with an install script.

***EDIT***

also is there a way to get rid of the stupid coffee beans and tag below my name on this forum. . . . or at least change it to something else?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jcompton View Post
    Can somebody expand the explanation of how to do a proper 7.04 full Xubuntu install? Right now it simply says "It would be possible to install with this and then upgrade to the final release." which is a little vague for newcomers.

Does anybody know why there's no Xubuntu PPC final? Arguably it's the most useful of all the Ubuntus for PPC users, since it tends to cater to machines of a spec lower than that you'd want to comfortably run OSX on.

Hello there!

I've found a website http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Instal..._ThinkPad_X60s maybe it will help.

Beans

Do you slove this problem now ? I also need it...But i canot understand the words well

Beans

There are so many ways If you have Internet connection then Its easy to go through the offical site of Ubuntu and download the latest version of powerpc....Its easy and helpful for you..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I can't seem to find a way to burn the Natty daily iso to a usb and have my G4 Mac recognize it as bootable. Every time I get to the boot menu and select the Linux disk (my usb), it just goes back to the boot menu and lets me select it again. That round-robin seems indefinite. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Asus EeePC 1005HA: ElementaryOS Luna | Asus X501A: Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu GNOME 14.10 Utopic Unicorn | Apple iMac G4: Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin | LG Optimus F3: Stock v7 | Nexus 10 Cyanogenmod 11

Beans

OK, i'm the noob'est noob here, and this is my first post.

I am running OSX Tiger (10.4.11) here on my trusty old G4 MDD with a "giga" 1.4gig CPU accelerator and doing quite well with it actually.

I have discovered Gimp and Inkscape and love the open source concept.

I registered only a few days ago, and have been lurking around to see if I can get a look at Ubuntu in action.

Would it be possible to install some version of Ubuntu on a partition of one of my internal hard drives and be able to boot it, using the option key at power-up time?
    I guess this would be called a "dual-boot" situation.
    If so, can someone provide a link as to what to download.

At first, it seemed as though this would not be possible, and that only a burned CD/DVD with Ubuntu on it will work, but after reading many other posts it seems that this may, in fact, be possible.

Yes, I am a bit confused about this and if someone could give me some clarification along with a little -why- info, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Beans

I knew there had to be something out there as I had the old version 5.10 for PPC, but I wanted to see the newest stuff on the MAC.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by moore.bryan View Post
    I can't seem to find a way to burn the Natty daily iso to a usb and have my G4 Mac recognize it as bootable. Every time I get to the boot menu and select the Linux disk (my usb), it just goes back to the boot menu and lets me select it again. That round-robin seems indefinite. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    that because openfirmware doesnt support usb boot you need a firewire drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

you CAN boot from usb stick, see installation instructions MintPPC.
    Linux on your Apple Mac │ iLinux
    http://mac.linux.be
    http://www.mintppc.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hey everyone,

So I just received a iMac G4 from someone for free. It's currently running Mac OS X panther, with the 700mhz PPC processor and 512MB of RAM. It's extremely sluggish and outdated. I'm trying to get it going for my mother and she's pretty computer illiterate so she just needs something simple for web browsing and checking emails. I don't really feel like messing with it and I don't have any discs, so I thought about just putting Ubuntu or Xubuntu on it. I heard Xubuntu is better for computers with lower specs? Which would you recommend, and how do I got about installing it on the Mac? I'm Mac illiterate.

Thanks!
    Last edited by xXkanfirXx; April 3rd, 2011 at 09:06 AM.

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast