Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Thanks very much for all your work in making such a useful and concise program! It's really appreciated !

I am trying to install a Live Version of Ubuntu onto my 1GB USB stick using UNetbootin's amazingness. So far I have tried using a previously downloaded .iso file of Ubuntu, as well as letting the program download and install the file itself from the Net. Everything seems to go fine with no problems or errors, but when I reboot my computer, there is no option in BIOS to boot from my flash drive. (Side note, my computer is running Ubuntu)

I went to another computer that runs Vista and tried booting from USB and was told that the kernel image could not be found.

Does anyone know what im doing wrong? The installer was set to the correct location of my USB device and ran correctly (I think...).
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. - Anonymous

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Nate9009 View Post
    Thanks very much for all your work in making such a useful and concise program! It's really appreciated !

I am trying to install a Live Version of Ubuntu onto my 1GB USB stick using UNetbootin's amazingness. So far I have tried using a previously downloaded .iso file of Ubuntu, as well as letting the program download and install the file itself from the Net. Everything seems to go fine with no problems or errors, but when I reboot my computer, there is no option in BIOS to boot from my flash drive. (Side note, my computer is running Ubuntu)

I went to another computer that runs Vista and tried booting from USB and was told that the kernel image could not be found.

Does anyone know what im doing wrong? The installer was set to the correct location of my USB device and ran correctly (I think...).
    Concerning the lack of an option in the BIOS to boot from the flash drive, that's a BIOS issue (consult your motherboard's manual, you may just find some useful info on USB booting). However, since you're running Ubuntu on that computer, you should be able to boot, using the following steps:

Let GRUB (the Ubuntu bootloader) start up, but don't let it boot Ubuntu yet. Instead, press ESC if needed to get to the boot menu (may be unnecessary), then press "c" to get to the grub command line.

Then, on the GRUB boot menu, enter the following commands:

Code:
    root (hd1,0)
    chainloader +1
    boot
    That should let your Ubuntu computer boot from the USB drive. Note that the device after root may not necessarily be (hd1,0) depending on your hard drive configuration; try different numbers for the first one if that one doesn't work; you can start typing "root (hd" and press TAB multiple times and it'll list the possible devices.

That issue on the Vista computer booting from USB (you did this straight from the BIOS boot menu I presume?) is strange, though. Are there the 2 files "ubnkern" and "ubninit" in the root directory of the USB drive, with sizes 1.8MB and 7.5MB (for 8.04) respectively? What operating system did you run UNetbootin from (Windows or Ubuntu, which version of each)? When you re-run UNetbootin on that Vista computer, do you get the same issue?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly View Post
    Concerning the lack of an option in the BIOS to boot from the flash drive, that's a BIOS issue (consult your motherboard's manual, you may just find some useful info on USB booting). However, since you're running Ubuntu on that computer, you should be able to boot, using the following steps:

Let GRUB (the Ubuntu bootloader) start up, but don't let it boot Ubuntu yet. Instead, press ESC if needed to get to the boot menu (may be unnecessary), then press "c" to get to the grub command line.

Then, on the GRUB boot menu, enter the following commands:

Code:
    root (hd1,0)
    chainloader +1
    boot
    That should let your Ubuntu computer boot from the USB drive. Note that the device after root may not necessarily be (hd1,0) depending on your hard drive configuration; try different numbers for the first one if that one doesn't work; you can start typing "root (hd" and press TAB multiple times and it'll list the possible devices.

That issue on the Vista computer booting from USB (you did this straight from the BIOS boot menu I presume?) is strange, though. Are there the 2 files "ubnkern" and "ubninit" in the root directory of the USB drive, with sizes 1.8MB and 7.5MB (for 8.04) respectively? What operating system did you run UNetbootin from (Windows or Ubuntu, which version of each)? When you re-run UNetbootin on that Vista computer, do you get the same issue?
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to try the BIOS commands right away!

I initially ran UNetbootin from Ubuntu, which is updated and recent. Although the two files you mentioned that should be on the flash drive are not there. The only file present is "ldlinux.sys" ? Would this be a installation problem?

As for the Vista error, yes I booted (or tried to) from the BIOS menu. And got a error that said something along the lines of "Cannot find the Kernel image. Followed by a "Boot:" I am using Gutsy on my Ubuntu computer and am not sure about the Vista PC. (it was my buddy's)
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. - Anonymous

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to try the BIOS commands right away!

I initially ran UNetbootin from Ubuntu, which is updated and recent. Although the two files you mentioned that should be on the flash drive are not there. The only file present is "ldlinux.sys" ? Would this be a installation problem?

As for the Vista error, yes I booted (or tried to) from the BIOS menu. And got a error that said something along the lines of "Cannot find the Kernel image. Followed by a "Boot:" I am using Gutsy on my Ubuntu computer and am not sure about the Vista PC. (it was my buddy's)
    In that case, the ISO file wasn't extracted. Did you have the package p7zip-full installed; it's required for ISO file extraction? Install it if you haven't already done so.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I think I've run into a bit of a wall. p7zip-full was installed before I ran UNetbootin. Also, I tried using a already extracted .iso file downloaded straight from the Ubuntu website (the same file UNet download when the distribution option is chosen).

I ran :

Code:
    sudo apt-get install p7zip-full
    just to make sure it is indeed installed, which it was.

P.S I'm about to harm my flash drive, its proving to be very frustrating.

P.P.S The USB drive in question is a 1GB PNY Attache

P.P.P.S Does UNetbootin have a verbose/debugging option? That would surely help!

Beans
    Distro

I think I've run into a bit of a wall. p7zip-full was installed before I ran UNetbootin. Also, I tried using a already extracted .iso file downloaded straight from the Ubuntu website (the same file UNet download when the distribution option is chosen).

I ran :

Code:
    sudo apt-get install p7zip-full
    just to make sure it is indeed installed, which it was.

P.S I'm about to harm my flash drive, its proving to be very frustrating.

P.P.S The USB drive in question is a 1GB PNY Attache

P.P.P.S Does UNetbootin have a verbose/debugging option? That would surely help!
    Try re-running UNetbootin from another computer (or your Windows install), if you have access to one, then. I just re-tested creating a liveUSB drive from an Ubuntu 7.10 iso file from a fresh 7.10 installation and it worked perfectly, so I'm getting the feeling the issue's on your side. Are you specifying the correct USB drive in the drop-down box on the bottom-right? I don't quite understand what you mean by "already extracted" iso file; the Ubuntu iso files aren't compressed; you just specify ISO file itself to UNetbootin. Is the ubuntu iso file you downloaded named "ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso"? Have you checked its md5sum for integrity https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes it may be corrupted.

As for the verbose/debugging mode, try running it from command-line, using:

Code:
    sudo ./unetbootin-linux-235
    Last edited by tuxcantfly; June 28th, 2008 at 08:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I installed Linux Mint using unetbootin and everything seemed to go well. I installed it on my third hard drive.

However, when I boot, I dont get the option to go to Linux. It just goes striaght to Windows. I've changed the boot order in the BIOS but it still just goes into Windows.

i cant see the drive anymore in windows so I assume its been partitioned correctly already. is my install hosed up? since the windows and linux are on seperate drives, im guessing its an issue with the boot loader.

any way to fix this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Version 2.35 for Windows crashes when extracting Linux Mint 5.0 R1 ISO. Version 2.29 works fine.

Please, add support for OpenSuSe 11.0 =D

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by andrebrait View Post
    Version 2.35 for Windows crashes when extracting Linux Mint 5.0 R1 ISO. Version 2.29 works fine.

Please, add support for OpenSuSe 11.0 =D
    How/When does it crash while extracting? Does it simply hang, does the window disappear, or do you get the Microsoft Send Error Report dialog? Which file is it extracting when it crashes? Do you get the same issue when extracting the Ubuntu 8.04 desktop ISO or another ISO on that version? What is your target install media, Hard Disk or USB Drive? What Windows version are you on?

@soritong: How did you install it on your third hard drive? Did you simply create a LiveUSB, boot from it, and run the Linux Mint installer from it, or did you use another approach? If it booted from the LiveUSB fine, and you used the Mint installer and it failed at installing on the third hard drive, then the issue is with the Mint installer itself; try asking on the Mint forums about it then.

Beans

Hello, my windows operating system was messed up during a power outage and I'm thinking of using Linux as an alternate OS. I am currently running off a feisty installation cd and have been trying to do a usb install of hardy (since I have no dvd burner). I've tried everything and have always gotten errors about kernel images and was wondering if someone with a working usb install could help me out. It looks like the only really large file that would be on the usb is filesystem.squashfs (inside the casper folder) so maybe someone could upload the rest of their setup in a .zip or .7z to rapidshare or some other website and post a link. Then people having trouble could just substitute their filesystem.squashfs and see if they can get it to work. Thanks in advance.

Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast