Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Yes, you can install Xubuntu using UNetbootin: once you have installed it, it will prompt you to chose between Ubuntu, Kubuntu or Xubuntu. Chose what you like...

To completely remove Windows you should check this out.

Beans

Very much appreciated. Only problem now is the link you provided HIGHLY recommends not to use the information on it, but there's no information yet to remove Windows... or did I miss something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Kobalt View Post
    Installing a 64bits system with UNetbootin would be great... Is that scheduled by any chance?
    uploading 64-bit builds at the moment, will be up in a few hours (pesky DSL connections can only go so fast...)

Beans
    Distro

Mandriva 2008 was recently released, so I've published a new UNetbootin build that can install it.. see the usual download spot at http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=198821 and instructions are at the unetbootin site at http://lubi.sourceforge.net/unetbootin.html

Beans
    Distro

I've updated the UNetbootin Ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy) development builds, since there has been yet another last-minute change in the kernel.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Kobalt View Post
    Installing a 64bits system with UNetbootin would be great... Is that scheduled by any chance?
    Check the download page... I've finished uploading the 64-bit builds, you should now be able to install them. Since the packages are all marked as "noarch/all", you don't need to necessarily install 32-bit from a 32-bit OS, or 64-bit from a 64-bit OS; you can install 64-bit if your processor is capable of it (amd64 or intel core2 and above), even if you're running a 32-bit Windows or Linux install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thank you so much tuxcantfly, I'll test this out tonight when I come home.

I'll let you know.

Cheerio !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks indeed Tux that you provide such many distros to be available through unetbootin.

Is it difficult to do the same for PCLinuxOS? Or isn't that one a good distro. It is one of the most popular at the distrowatch so I want to test it without having to burn an iso.

Are they maybe different?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nooby View Post
    Thanks indeed Tux that you provide such many distros to be available through unetbootin.

Is it difficult to do the same for PCLinuxOS? Or isn't that one a good distro. It is one of the most popular at the distrowatch so I want to test it without having to burn an iso.

Are they maybe different?
    I've been searching around for PCLinuxOS netboot initrd / mini FTP install files, but I can't find any, just iso files. If you know where they can be found (usually they're on a "netboot" or "media" directory on the ftp server), point me to them and I'll gladly add pclinuxos builds. Same goes for other distros, if you want to have builds for those available as well, just post the link to the netboot initrd and kernel, or the ftp mini-install iso files on the ftp servers and I'll make builds as soon as I can.
    Last edited by tuxcantfly; October 10th, 2007 at 09:18 PM.

Beans

Question Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Before I am going to try out I wondered wether this would make it possible to bypass the restriction on my school-laptop, which makes it always to boot from the hard drive (and the bios is of course pass protected). Yet the second problem would be still then that I only have wlan, and I don't expect this to work with wlan... am I correct?

Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast