Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051

Thread: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Beans

Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Hi, I have an old computer with no cd, no usb, no nothing

I`m trying to make an fresh install of xubuntu runnig the live cd from the hdd.
    I remove the hdd from the computer and plug it in another one. The hdd is not bootable. Its completely clean. I can format it anyway.

I have it in my windows like e:
    The unetbootin problem. I select the hard drive, forcing it, and the process completes without problem.
    Then a select in my bios to boot from that hdd but nothing happens.

I assume unetbootin modifies an existing booting system. But what a need to do is to create it from scratch the hdd.

thanks in advance

Beans

Try to get grub4dos on that harddisk, never done it before but there is some documentation out there.

If grub4dos is installed you can post the content syslinux.conf on that harddisk so we can help translate the start menu to grub menu (grub4dos) in this case.

http://grub4dos.sourceforge.net/wiki...b4dos_tutorial

Unhappy frugall install from unetbootin problem

Hello all

I'm trying to install ubuntu laptop 10.04 in a laptop with no cd-rom and no usb boot.
    I have xp running and using unetbootin I could startup the iso of Ubuntu and with gparted prepare the Ext4 and swap partitions on the laptop harddisk.

I'm following istructions of what unetbootin calls Frugall Install.

After creating the partitions I've uninstalled and reinstalled again unetbootin from windows as suggested.

Here is the point. From live cd the installation fails. It ask me to select the partitions for install = fine ,then it advice me that I'll be able to install but not manage partitions because I'm on the same disk as the live cd, then it try to unmount the partion cdrom (virtual) from which it runs Ubuntu Live cd itself and fails.

I've tried many times but it looks like Ubuntu Live cd works but cannot istall to the partitions I've prepared.

Why this Frugall install procedure fails?

thanks
    Last edited by osviweb; August 7th, 2010 at 12:00 AM.

Beans

You cannot unmount/resize the partition that the iso file is on because you need to read data on that "CD". When you unmount the partition it's like ejecting the CD.

I think Tinycore Linux runs out of memory so if unetbootin can put that ISO on your harddisk and then boot into tinycore you might be able to install gparted and resize but I'm not sure it would work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unhappy Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Hello,

I am trying to install Linux Mint on my laptop. Becouse my laptop cant boot from usb and my cd-rom player doesn’t function, I want to install it from HDD using UNetbootin. The problem is that UNetbootin doesn’t seem to change grub2. UNetbootin tells me to reboot (no errors), but than the grub menu doesn’t show any option to run the Mint .iso. It just boots directly to Ubuntu.

Current setup:
    Ubuntu 10.04

Installation setup:
    unetbootin-linux-494
    linuxmint-10-gnome-dvd-i386.iso (downloaded to hdd and selected for installation in UNetbootin)

After running UNetbootin:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    [sudo] password for bas: 
    Generating grub.cfg ...
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-25-generic-pae
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-25-generic-pae
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-24-generic-pae
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-24-generic-pae
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-23-generic-pae
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-23-generic-pae
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-22-generic-pae
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-22-generic-pae
    Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
    done
    It seems that UNetbootin doesnt change the grub menu.
    Or am I not getting it?

Does anybody know what goes wrong?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Beans

If unetbootin is done there should be a directory called casper in the root of the partition you choose to extract the iso to.

I had unetbootin do it on a usb and then got a syslinux.cfg in the in the root as well.

This is the part that starts mint 8 in compatible mode (from there you can update the installer and install).
    Code:
    label xforcevesa 
      menu label Start Linux Mint (compatibility mode) 
      kernel /casper/vmlinuz 
      append  file=/cdrom/preseed/mint.seed boot=casper xforcevesa initrd=/casper/initrd.lz ramdisk_size=1048576 root=/dev/ram rw noapic noapci nosplash irqpoll --
    Now you can manually put that in your /boot/grub/grub.cfg (yes it will overwrite after an updategrub but it'll work if you reboot after changing). Please don't mess it up or there is a chance that you can't boot anymore because of the messed up menu. Since you cannot boot with CD or USB it will be hard to change the menu when the HD is unbootable. If you copy and paste this at the end you should be fine.

Code:
    menuentry "Linux Mint extracted ISO" {
            recordfail=1
        set quiet=0
        insmod ext2
        set root=(hd0,7)
        linux    /casper/vmlinuz  file=/cdrom/preseed/mint.seed boot=casper xforcevesa 
        initrd   /casper/initrd.lz ramdisk_size=1048576 root=/dev/ram rw noapic noapci nosplash irqpoll --  
    }
    The line insmod ext2 assumes you have your casper directory on a ext2 partition.
    set root=(hd0,7) Means you have the casper directory on the 7th partition of the first HD.
    I am not sure if the "ramdisk_size=1048576 root=/dev/ram rw noapic noapci nosplash irqpoll -- " has to come at the end of the linux line or at the end of the "initrd /casper/initrd.lz", I put it at the end of the initrd line but if it doesn't start mint then move that part to the end of the linux line like so:
    Code:
        linux    /casper/vmlinuz  file=/cdrom/preseed/mint.seed boot=casper xforcevesa  ramdisk_size=1048576 root=/dev/ram rw noapic noapci nosplash irqpoll --
        initrd   /casper/initrd.lz

Beans

Tutorial to install Ubuntu from Hard Disk using Grub4Dos.

http://agnipulse.com/2011/08/install-ubuntu-hard-disk/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

i had the following problems so i used:

apt config error:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/658865
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1663652

sudo rm /usr/lib/ubiquity/apt-setup/generators/40cdrom

migration assistant error/crash:
    ubiquity --no-migration-assistant

unmount /cdrom:
    sudo umount -l /cdrom

or
    http://linuxers.org/howto/how-instal...-without-cddvd
    sudo umount -l -r -f /cdrom
    Last edited by madjr; September 4th, 2011 at 08:14 PM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051