Thread: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Beans
    Distro

Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

I've finished my latest release (revision 21) of UNetbootin, and it's ready to download via sourceforge.

New features:

In addition to Ubuntu 6.06, 6.10, and 7.04, Debian Sid and Debian Etch are now supported for installation, just download the appropriate files to install

In addition to Windows, you can now also install using Linux. If using a debian-based distro (like Ubuntu) just install the deb package, and if using another distro, use the self-extracting sh file.

Everything is now handled automatically by the build script, so adding support for another distro is trivial work; just add the distro's name into a line in the build script and place the distro's initrd and kernel in a directory, and everything else is automatically handled, down to the building of the 3 installer versions (sh, deb, and exe). Just contact me through the details on my launchpad page or pm me if you want to have any distro added; just provide links to the latest netboot initrd and kernel (or archive containing the two) and I'll build it in to UNetbootin so that .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi, I tried UNetbootin to solve a "refuces to boot from CD" problem, worked like a charm.

Only prob I had, after the basic install it asks you what else do you want? So I mark LAMP and Ubuntu desktop, installation starts and after reboot the Ubuntu desktop works just fine, but I don't find any trace of the LAMP stuff. After a quick peek at the Synaptix it seems it didn't get installed, php, apache etc are not marked there.

What did I do wrong? Can I still get the LAMP or do I go about it manually installing the webserver components I need? (the laptop functions as a local development/test sever)

Cheers and anyway thanks for UNetbootin!
    travel & still life photography: http://www.zgallery-art.com

Beans

Hi, I gather from previous post that I was supposed to get the question what to install, for instance Ubuntu desktop. I did not.

I did choose Xubuntu along the way, the install finished and the computer rebooted. I then came to a command line where I was promted to log on, which worked fine.

But... how do I start the desktop? I'm a total noob, so anything but a Windows-like desktop is way over my head. Please advise.

BR
    Hojer

Beans

Have just read this hole tread, and i must say that its a pretty cool pice of software... for sure a think to remember when running out of CD's

Nice that you keep soo good support throu this forum, keep up the good work mate...

boom

Beans

Are you able to also install Xubuntu with this tool?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by JJM02351 View Post
    Are you able to also install Xubuntu with this tool?
    Yes you are. First you install the basics and then the rest of the options is presented to you to choose from. Among those is the Xubuntu desktop.
    Cheers
    travel & still life photography: http://www.zgallery-art.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

How long should the partition portion of the install take to complete? I'm using the minimiun partition size, about 41gb, on a 250gb drive. It's been sitting at 0% for about 10 minutes now...

Edit: NVM, I got some kind of error, and I exited the installer. CHKDSK just finished doing its thing.

I think I'll wait o install Ubuntu until I can get down to Best Buy and buy some blank CD-RWs...
    Last edited by Apt403; August 22nd, 2007 at 05:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I've added support for Ubuntu 7.10 in UNetbootin, it's available for download from the usual page at http://lubi.sourceforge.net/unetbootin.html

Note that since Ubuntu 7.10 is still undergoing development, it shouldn't be used on production machines, unless you're doing development or want the bleeding-edge

Beans
    Distro

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast