Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Beans

Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Quote Originally Posted by heroidi View Post
    i like this tutorial so i translated it in albanian http://ayih.org/tips_tricks/instalon...;topicseen#new here is a link
    hi heroidi... great work...if you want your translation into the latest releases , you read this : http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/#translations

Beans

Hello Ubuntu folks! Just tried to install Ubuntu using UNetbootin on my Dell inspiron 2650 (WinXP SP2) .

Runs through the download, decompress and reboot. Then I get this:

Try (hd0,0): FAT16: No UBNLDR
    Try (hd0,1): NTFS5: 3
    Try (hd0,2): invalid or null
    Try (hd0,3): invalid or null
    Try (fd0): invalid or null
    Error: cannot find GRLDR in all devices. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

I can't find anything useful with UBNLDR, and all the other forum posts about GRLDR seem to refer to Wubi - and not unetbootin. I've copied GRLDR from grub and overwritten it as far as I can tell with the latest version. I'm not really sure what to do next - any ideas?

Hope everyone 's having a nice holiday

J

Beans

Installation of Ubuntu 8.10 only consider about CD

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

hey everyone! i am trying to use UNetBootin to install archlinux, and i have the .iso downloaded and everything. Only problem is, after i reboot the machine, there is no option to boot "UNetBootin" as was promised. My HDD is partitioned a bit awkwardly (Ms-Dos on C, and XP on D) so could that be the problem? Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I was installing Ubuntu 8.10 via unetbootin (netinstall) on a laptop also previously running only Ubuntu.

When I boot up the laptop, I get the following error:
    Code:
    GRUB Loading stage1.5

GRUB loading, please wait...
    Error 17
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=427540 says that I should "try defragmenting your hard drive and running "chkdsk /r" " but since Windows isn't on the computer, I don't think that applies.

In this thread post 284, tuxcantfly says
    Unless you were booting UNetbootin off a USB stick (and GRUB got installed to the USB drive not the hard drive due to a bug in Fedora's installer, this occurs on Ubuntu due to a bug in d-i, it may also affect Fedora)

I think this is the case with my Ubuntu install, but haven't been able to find anything else about this bug. Is there a known workaround when installing? Any ideas?

thx!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

what about ppc ubuntu linux.
    "Everybody lies." ~Dr.House

Beans

Exclamation does NOT work if windows is NOT on C:\

Quote Originally Posted by theRightNee View Post
    hey everyone! i am trying to use UNetBootin to install archlinux, and i have the .iso downloaded and everything. Only problem is, after i reboot the machine, there is no option to boot "UNetBootin" as was promised. My HDD is partitioned a bit awkwardly (Ms-Dos on C, and XP on D) so could that be the problem? Thanks!
    Hey, even i had the same problem. I had windows on E:\ and tried installing it. the option to boot is to be edited in the boot.ini file in the C:\ but since windows is in E:\, it dosent accept. i tried editing the boot.ini file, but didnt work. So, basically, i dont think that Unetbootin will work if windows is not on C:\.

Correct me if i am wrong, and if possible, please help us out!

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: does NOT work if windows is NOT on C:\

Quote Originally Posted by shrinathk87 View Post
    Hey, even i had the same problem. I had windows on E:\ and tried installing it. the option to boot is to be edited in the boot.ini file in the C:\ but since windows is in E:\, it dosent accept. i tried editing the boot.ini file, but didnt work. So, basically, i dont think that Unetbootin will work if windows is not on C:\.

Correct me if i am wrong, and if possible, please help us out!

Thanks.
    I was having problems installing ArchLinux via Unetbootin. But this method worked fine: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/...from_USB_stick

I hope that works for you.

Beans

Looks like this is a pretty active thread, and someone must have come across the same problem i'm having. I have two hard disks in my computer, sda and sdb. I'm currently running Ubuntu 8.10 from sdb, but it has been patched and upgraded so many times (from 6.06) that i'd like to do a fresh install onto sda (keeping my install on sdb just in case).

My current fdisk -l output:
    Code:
    rb4@corsair:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 122.9 GB, 122942324736 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14946 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00042f46

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1               1          33      265041   83  Linux
    /dev/sda2              34         555     4192965   82  Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda3             556       14685   113499225   83  Linux
    /dev/sda4   *       14686       14946     2096482+  83  Linux

Disk /dev/sdb: 122.9 GB, 122942324736 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14946 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x0003eadd

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sdb1   *           1       14759   118551636   83  Linux
    /dev/sdb2           14760       14946     1502077+   5  Extended
    /dev/sdb5           14760       14946     1502046   82  Linux swap / Solaris
    rb4@corsair:~$
    I have an .iso of the 8.10-desktop image, so I tried using that to create a boot partition on /dev/sda4. I had to select "USB drive" and select "show all drives" before I could select /dev/sda4 though. Once that was done, there was no indication in my /boot/grub/menu.lst that anything had changed... I think it's relying on the USB boot capability of my BIOS to take care of that for me.

How can I get it to do an install to /dev/sda4, and make the appropriate entries in my /boot/grub/menu.lst?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I am trying to get unetbootin to work in puppy linux to "upgrade" to ubuntu but seem to be having some problems with the system. I receive the following error after reboot. Error 23, then it goes back to grub. I believe (not sure though) this may have to do with the fact that it states that I need to install util-linux,udev, mtools, and p7-zip. I am a very VERY recent convert and have no idea how to get these as they are not puppy packages, and have no idea what to do to install them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System is a p3, 10G master HDD, 4G slave HDD with 128 M RAM.

Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast