Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

I dl'd unetbootin to my desktop chmoded it then ran it. I am installing arch to / but when I reboot and select unetbootin from grub I get error 15 file not found.

I want to install it to /media/disk which is partioned from /mnt/sdc1 but the only time I am offered a selection to install to is when I select usb which I do not have usb drives.
    | Corsair Carbide Series® 300R | Intel Core i5 650@3.20Ghz| OCZ-Vertex3 120 Gb SSD | Western Digital 640 Gb HDD | Western Digital 1 Tb HDD |
    |Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950 Extreme | Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64 | Windows 10 Pro |

Beans

This is very cool but I have a problem. I have a PC, with no cd-rom, usb boot, ability for second hdd or floppy. I want to install Ubuntu on it, so I dl´d the ubuntu-8.04.1-alternate-i386.iso and inserted the drive into another PC installed Windows in a small partition, ran this UNetbootin and selected the ISO on my flash drive. I inserted the drive back into the PC, when it boots selected UNetbootin boot option, installation is good until it realizes I don have a cd-rom and won´t let me continue. Any ideas? Should I have copied the ISO to the Windoze drive, it seemed to me like it extracted the necessary files to the drive already.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly View Post
    What portion exactly are you referring to as "UNetbootin itself"? If the application itself (aka on Windows) isn't starting up, try running it from the command line, see if it generates any output and post it. If it does indeed complete but GRUB4DOS (the bootloader) fails, it usually outputs error messages, write them down and post them.

Anyhow, I haven't tested on Win9x in a while, since I don't have ready access to Win9x, so some portions may be broken (it's probably due to the Unicode support for non-US users I included in UNetbootin, which Win9x doesn't support, since non-US users far outnumber the <1% of the population still using Win9x), but since you said that 180 worked, you can still get the older releases at http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=268713 and the really old releases at http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=198821

And if your old computer happens to support booting from USB, you can always just create a bootable DSL/TinyMe USB drive from another computer and boot it on the computer running Win9x.

If that isn't an option, you can always do the job manually; download ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribu...4.3-initrd.iso and use 7-zip http://www.7-zip.org/ to extract out the files "linux24" and "minirt24.gz" and supply those as the "kernel" and "initrd" files to UNetbootin, and under the "options" section type in whatever comes after APPEND in "isolinux.cfg", which is:

Code:
    ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt24.gz nomce noapic quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix

Hi, I also have a Toshiba Portege and have been having a b&*^# of a time (ever) getting an OS on it. I currently a working XP installation. I've been able to frugal install Puppy but have problems with the video and have not gotten it to work beyond working the command line.

I started looking to DSL and (think) I've been able to boot with a floppy that can see my pcmcia cd but when I run the install DSL returns "Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem'. I thought this was unique to possibly the boot floppy and cd combo.

I've installed UnetBootin, selected DSL as distibution, it downloaded, extracted, prompted me for reboot. I select UnetBootin from the boot menu. GRLDR loads, Booting Unetbootin, sees my hdd and filesystem. I then end up at a screen with the penguin and a flashing cursor. Nothing more, disk activity or anything just a flashing cursor.

I followed the instructions above for a manual install. Got to the penguin, Welcome To DSL - then the same error message from above: "Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem."

Any ideas how I can get a working linux distro on my laptop? Please! Preferably w/o USB/CD/DVD, etc. I"ll consider floppy boot assist. I want to wipe out WinXP but not until I 'KNOW' I've got a working linux install and am confident I'll have methods of re-installing (Linux) if things go south.

Please let me know if there is anything else I tell you that might help...thanks.

Jacqui
    Last edited by JacquiG; July 28th, 2008 at 01:05 AM. Reason: subscribe

This is very cool but I have a problem. I have a PC, with no cd-rom, usb boot, ability for second hdd or floppy. I want to install Ubuntu on it, so I dl´d the ubuntu-8.04.1-alternate-i386.iso and inserted the drive into another PC installed Windows in a small partition, ran this UNetbootin and selected the ISO on my flash drive. I inserted the drive back into the PC, when it boots selected UNetbootin boot option, installation is good until it realizes I don have a cd-rom and won´t let me continue. Any ideas? Should I have copied the ISO to the Windoze drive, it seemed to me like it extracted the necessary files to the drive already.
    Check the Server and Network Installations.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

Hi, I have a thinkpad 240x which is kind of old (P3 500MHz, 192MB) and it doesn't have a cdrom because of its size nor does it support booting from usb. I'm limited to floppy and network installs. So I found Unetbootin. I installed debian and then downloaded Unetbootin. It told me when downloading that it doesn't have a program to open it and asked if I want to download it anyway. I download it and then change the properties so I can execute and I dbl click it and it does NOTHING! So I try the wget way: wget $unetbootin.deb and it says: Resolving unetbootin.deb... failed: Name or service not known. It seems debian doesn't want me to have fluxbuntu! Now what do I do?

Beans

Talking Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Thank You So Much For Making This I Tried MUBI But It Was Taking Litterally 2 Days. And Beileve Me It Was Not The Computer. This Took 24 Minutes Just Like It Would Of If It Were The Ubuntu CD Itself. Great Job.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

JacquiG, have you tried puppy linux. I failed to get DSL going but
    puppy worked on my system.

http://www.puppylinux.org/
    Acer D250 netbook Win7, Netrunner (Kubuntu) HP/Compaq SR5622SC Vista Dual boot Puppy Linux frugal install

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by scrime View Post
    I have the same problem - I have an old laptop with a floppy drive & USB port (non-bootable) but no CD or network capability. I've tried installing a few distros using Unetbootin but most (including the alternate install of Xubuntu) threw their toys out of the pram when they realised there was no CD drive. The live CD is so slow it's unworkable (it's slow enough on a new-ish PC, on a PII laptop with 128MB of memory, forget it) and the only distro I've managed to get on there is Puppy, which is OK, but I'd prefer Ubuntu or one of its derivatives (preferably Xubuntu as I think it would be that bit faster).
    Would also welcome any ideas!

Beans

Same problem here. Can't install from USB if I try to use the alternative cd. I need the alternative cd to install Ubuntu into a LVM on my EEE PC.

Anyone found any "fix" for this?
    Apple Retina Macbook Pro 15" (10,1)
    Ubuntu 13.10

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    Thanks Sef, I finally have it working, it was easy in the end although it took a huge amount of determination to get it to work. I was obviously doing something wrong.

The only way I could get it working was this method https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion%20Install. I could not get Bootp working.

The way I installed Ubuntu in the end was to create a bridged VM of Ubuntu server, installed Apache, DHCP3 and tftpboot. Modified the nessesary files. Sounds easy, took 2 solid days of effort, although now that I know what I was doing wrong I could do it in my sleep in about an hour.

Thanks again.
    Mark.

Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast