Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Unhappy Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly View Post
    So I presume this is after the ubuntu installation, on the first boot? In that case, it's most likely a graphics card driver incompatibility issue, which usually occurs when using ATI/AMD cards (though some have had similar issues with nvidia and intel chipsets as well).

As soon as the screen goes blank, press Ctrl-Alt-F2. You should see a login screen; login there, then once logged on, enter the following command:

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    You'll be asked a few questions about your monitor and graphics card, accept the defaults, but when asked about the video card driver, select "vesa" from the list instead. Then reboot, and hopefully all should work.
    Thankyou; did that and got:_

Package xserver-xorg is not installed and no info is available. Use dpkg --info (=dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files and dpkg --content to list
    /usr/sbin/dpkg -reconfigure:
    xserver-xorg is not installed

By typing various things (in almost total ignorance ) I got assorted help etc screens, but not much that made any sense to the ancient brain! Sorry to be a pain in the ........ but I could use a bit more help!
    Ray
    Last edited by RayArdia; February 29th, 2008 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
    Acer Aspire 5735, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD + 2x2TB Seagate Expansion Drives

Beans

Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

when I try to install the deb for hardy it tries to download the kernel images, since I dont have a network card on that laptop it cant get this.
    Is there a complete offline package for this or do I have to download them by hand?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RayArdia View Post
    ubuntu login:*starting deferred execution scheduler [OK]
    *starting periodic command scheduler crond [OK]
    *running local boot scripts (/etc /rc, local) [OK]
    Apologies if this is a "dumb answer" ... that appears to be the standard login prompt: and then those messages are "console" messages as those processes were starting.

At this point, you could/should be able to type the username you created followed by the password. If you hit enter a few times, it will lose its mind for a second or 5, and then present the login prompt again.

Chris

Beans

OK , after I reaized that Ubuntu cant be installed from an ISO file that is located on a HD i tries to install the latest Fedora Rawhide. I can select the partition where the iso is located and the installer starts, after some seconds it stops and the logs say:

unable to identify CDROM format
    VFS: cant find ext2 on dev loop1

and some stuff about selinux taht cant write some stuff because its a read only FS.

can someone help me with this?
    I need an install that has the 2.4.24+ Kernel and can be installed from HD, because I dont have a network card and I cant boot from anything, no cdrom no usbstick

thx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    OK , after I reaized that Ubuntu cant be installed from an ISO file that is located on a HD i tries to install the latest Fedora Rawhide. I can select the partition where the iso is located and the installer starts, after some seconds it stops and the logs say:

unable to identify CDROM format
    VFS: cant find ext2 on dev loop1

and some stuff about selinux taht cant write some stuff because its a read only FS.

can someone help me with this?
    I need an install that has the 2.4.24+ Kernel and can be installed from HD, because I dont have a network card and I cant boot from anything, no cdrom no usbstick

thx
    Fedora Rawhide is in rather early alpha right now, so presumably it won't work at all on certain hardware (apparently won't work on yours). If you really need a cutting-edge distro, either go for openSUSE 11.0 Alpha 2 (seems to work better IMHO) or Fedora 9 Alpha 1 (barely works here, but you may have better luck). Just pre-download the kernel and initrd from the FTP mirrors (they're usually named "linux", "vmlinuz", "bzImage", "initrd.img", "initrd.gz", or the like), download the DVD install image (no need to extract or anything), download the UNetbootin Generic Loader at http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=264540 (this'll let you load the custom kernel/initrd), transfer the 4 files (DVD iso, kernel, initrd, and UNetbootin .exe file) to the target computer, run UNetbootin there specify the kernel and initrd paths when prompted, reboot, and see if it works then (standard procedure after that; select "Hard Drive" as installation source, specify partition and directory, etc).
    Last edited by tuxcantfly; March 3rd, 2008 at 07:34 AM.

Beans

I'm on ubuntu 5.10.

I downloaded "unetbootin_ubuntu710rev99_all.deb".

And instlled it using command:
    sudo dpkg -i unetbootin_ubuntu710rev99_all.deb

Installing went fine then i rebooted ,but in GRUB menu
    selecting UNetbootin-ubuntu710rev99.
    i got error:15(or21) Selected disk does not exist.

EDIT: Yess.. i got it working and it works perfectly !!!
    Last edited by koer9911; March 10th, 2008 at 04:36 PM.

Beans

Odd question I have OSX and VirtualBox with Ubuntu installed, I have a new computer with no CD or DVD or Floppy. So my question is can I use a Virtual run of Ubuntu on OSX to install ubuntu on the new pc? Does this also work for MythUbuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by marxistvegan View Post
    Odd question I have OSX and VirtualBox with Ubuntu installed, I have a new computer with no CD or DVD or Floppy. So my question is can I use a Virtual run of Ubuntu on OSX to install ubuntu on the new pc?
    Theoretically, yes (not sure about VirtualBox, but I know VMware can target a physical partition), but I'd strongly advise against it, not only because it'll involve plenty of manual tinkering with your partitions and MBR/GPT (a mistyped command or two will wipe out your data and render your computer unbootable), but also because the virtualized hardware is different from the physical one, so even if you manage to get Ubuntu installed to the physical partition from a virtual machine, install a bootloader, and boot Ubuntu, you'll still have to tinker with getting the machine's hardware properly detected and configured. If you happen to have Bootcamp set up (I'm assuming this is an Intel Mac), you can just run the Windows version of UNetbootin from Windows, otherwise, the next best route would probably just be to make a bootable USB drive and install Ubuntu from there.

Does this also work for MythUbuntu?
    Yes, you can get MythUbuntu installed; just install the standard Ubuntu desktop, and you can install the package "mythbuntu-desktop" afterwards to end up with a Mythbuntu desktop.

Beans

Question clonezilla unetbootin?

I'm looking for a clonezilla unetbootin. Has somebody already created one? If not, how hard is it to use an already created ISO to generate my own package? I'm on Ubuntu and have really been liking the partedmagic and other unetbootin packages. Thanks!

Beans

hi i was interested in trying this as i cant use cdrom as ide has died.. but i have 1 main problem and that is alot of distros haven't supported my network card on start of installer i am currently using debian etch but feel like a change... but only reason i came here is because someone was helping me find a way of netinstalling a different distro and i would like to try the newest ubuntu 8.04 but i need to know if this would support my onboard lan card otherwise this is going to pose a problem unless theres a way i can install the network drivers on before install so it will continue and that ubuntu would support the lan card when i have finished install. the network card is 01:08.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169SC Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)

Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast