Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Beans

Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

This is really strange, but I was installing Fedora 8 on 2 servers, and after a whole afternoon of downloading, now both of them have this error on a black screen:

Code:
    GRUB Loading stage1.5

GRUB loading, please wait...
    Error 15
    What happened there?
    Last edited by Skeptical33; January 25th, 2008 at 01:20 PM.

Beans

Unetbootin - problem in base installation - "Unable to install initramfs-tools"

Hi,
    i'm trying to use unetbootin to replace Windows XP totally with Ubuntu 7.10. I'm following tutorial (http://www.howtoforge.com/unetbootin..._ubuntu_fedora), but in partitioning step i chose "Guided - use entire disk". Everything went fine until I got an error message during the Base System Installation.

ERROR MESSAGE

"Unable to install initramfs-tools

An error was returned while trying to install the initramfs-tools package onto the target system.

Check /var/log/syslog or see virtual console 4 for details."

PART OF THE SYSLOG in /var/log/syslog

base-installer: info: Using kernel 'linux-generic'
    base-installer: info: Setting do_initrd='yes'.
    base-installer: info: Setting link_in_boots='no'.
    base-installer: info: Available initramfs generator(s): 'initramfs-tools'
    apt-install: Unexpected error; skipped processing of: initramfs-tools
    base-installer: apt-install or in-target is already running so you cannot run either of
    base-installer: them again until the other instance finishes. You may be able to use
    base-installer: 'chroot /target ...' instead.
    base-installer: error: exiting on error base-installer/kernel/failed-package-install'

So, i have formatted my hard disk and haven't any other OS installed. CD-Rom device doesn't work and unetbootin installer doesn't recommend ending this installation. I'm doing the installation on laptop, so it doesn't have Floppy drive. How can I solve this problem and get Ubuntu installed? I Have used already 3 nights searching for solution, but can't find anything. Would appreciate, if someone could help me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Unetbootin - problem in base installation - "Unable to install initramfs-tools"

Quote Originally Posted by hhuuhhu View Post
    Hi,
    i'm trying to use unetbootin to replace Windows XP totally with Ubuntu 7.10. I'm following tutorial (http://www.howtoforge.com/unetbootin..._ubuntu_fedora), but in partitioning step i chose "Guided - use entire disk". Everything went fine until I got an error message during the Base System Installation.

ERROR MESSAGE

"Unable to install initramfs-tools

An error was returned while trying to install the initramfs-tools package onto the target system.

Check /var/log/syslog or see virtual console 4 for details."

PART OF THE SYSLOG in /var/log/syslog

base-installer: info: Using kernel 'linux-generic'
    base-installer: info: Setting do_initrd='yes'.
    base-installer: info: Setting link_in_boots='no'.
    base-installer: info: Available initramfs generator(s): 'initramfs-tools'
    apt-install: Unexpected error; skipped processing of: initramfs-tools
    base-installer: apt-install or in-target is already running so you cannot run either of
    base-installer: them again until the other instance finishes. You may be able to use
    base-installer: 'chroot /target ...' instead.
    base-installer: error: exiting on error base-installer/kernel/failed-package-install'

So, i have formatted my hard disk and haven't any other OS installed. CD-Rom device doesn't work and unetbootin installer doesn't recommend ending this installation. I'm doing the installation on laptop, so it doesn't have Floppy drive. How can I solve this problem and get Ubuntu installed? I Have used already 3 nights searching for solution, but can't find anything. Would appreciate, if someone could help me.
    Ouch, that's one sticky situation, seems like a package (initramfs-tools, used to generate the initrd to boot Ubuntu) got corrupted while downloading and the rest of the installation went downhill from there. When you reboot the machine, you'll probably get the GRUB Error 17 or Error 15 message, since the kernel and initrd haven't been properly installed hasn't yet been installed to the partition and GRUB hasn't been installed, though you can get around this by booting off either a floppy or USB key, if you can boot from either. I'd suggest fetching the Super Grub Disk (floppy or usb drive version) from http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/ and see if you can get it to boot anything. If not, I'd fetch the Debian floppy or USB drive install media (it's on ftp.debian.org) and get a minimal Debian environment installed, from there on you should be able to install the UNetbootin deb package for whatever distro you want installed (aka Ubuntu), that'll let you launch the installer again and hopefully everthing will work that time.

Otherwise, if you have no access to any physical boot media (floppy or USB) whatsoever, I'd remove your hard drive from the computer, transfer it temporarilty to another computer that can boot from CD, USB, or Floppy, get an OS installed or repair the bootloader using either the Super Grub Disk, or, if that doesn't work, do a minimal debian install, and put the hard drive back into the original computer once done, and it should be able to boot properly.

Also, on another note, it's generally a much safer and wiser solution to initially dual-boot, then turn it into a single-boot by deleting the partition and expanding the Linux one after it has installed successfully, especially when you can't fall back on a rescue CD, in order to avoid situations like this. Do that next time you attempt to install, just in case something goes wrong again or your connection fails, so that you'll have a working system to fall back on.
    Last edited by tuxcantfly; January 26th, 2008 at 06:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptical33 View Post
    This is really strange, but I was installing Fedora 8 on 2 servers, and after a whole afternoon of downloading, now both of them have this error on a black screen:

Code:
    GRUB Loading stage1.5

GRUB loading, please wait...
    Error 15
    What happened there?
    Bootloader apparently didn't get installed properly, for some reason (did you get any error messages, or did you just leave it unattended and come back to see the error? In the latter case, perhaps your connection might have failed while in the middle of downloading and installing the kernel/bootloader or the like, causing Fedora to abort the installation). Unless you were booting UNetbootin off a USB stick (and GRUB got installed to the USB drive not the hard drive due to a bug in Fedora's installer, this occurs on Ubuntu due to a bug in d-i, it may also affect Fedora), the issue is either an incompatibility between the version of GRUB installed by Fedora and your hardware (might be the SCSI/SATA/RAID controller; the kernel and GRUB use different code for handling disks so it may be that GRUB was incompatible with it but the kernel was compatible), or perhaps GRUB was installed using the wrong parameters (did you instruct it to install GRUB to the MBR or to a partition? Because if GRUB wasn't installed to the MBR, then the UNetbootin-installed GRUB might still be attempting to load, but since you probably wiped out its partition, it can't find the necessary files).

Hopefully this server isn't a remote Xen guest, because if you have physical access to it, you can probably easily fix all using the Super Grub Disk at http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/ (just boot the CD/floppy/USB drive, select the GRUB repair option, and all should work), but if you don't, you're going to have to attempt a remote recovery of the server's bootloader, which I believe may be possible if you can access the virtual server's BIOS itself or otherwise get it to do a PXE network boot off another server on the internet. If that's the case, I'm afriad I can't help, since I don't remotely administer servers, but these links might help (and if they don't, hopefully you can get hold of someone who has physical access to the servers so that you can do a GRUB recovery on them):

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PXEInstallServer
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/Netboot
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Xen
    Last edited by tuxcantfly; January 26th, 2008 at 06:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Hm. I'm looking into purchasing an ASUS eee pc, but I'm sure as some of you know it does not have a cd-rom drive. I want to install ubuntu on it from this method, just scared something may go wrong and I'm down in the dumps for a while using this ubuntu machine until I can find out a way to get an OS installed on that machine so I can atleast use it. Hm.... Any suggestions?
    fedora core 9
    XBL Gamertag: MDK BlOOdHuNTeR

I'm one of them things they call a right wing conservative gun nut. Nice to meet you.
    PSN: whitefang5412

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by whitefang5412 View Post
    Hm. I'm looking into purchasing an ASUS eee pc, but I'm sure as some of you know it does not have a cd-rom drive. I want to install ubuntu on it from this method, just scared something may go wrong and I'm down in the dumps for a while using this ubuntu machine until I can find out a way to get an OS installed on that machine so I can atleast use it. Hm.... Any suggestions?
    Perhaps this was what you were looking for? http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ubuntu:eeexubuntu:home (see the USB installation section). I doubt you'll have any success with UNetbootin, since from what I remember, the eee PC ships with a wifi incompatible with default Ubuntu so there's no way of fetching the packages from the net.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hey, I've got some questions before using netbootin. I'd like to install mandriva-linux-2008-spring-free-ophrys-dvd-i586.iso. Is it possible to install this .iso (maybe renaming it to mandriva-linux-2008.0-free-dvd-i586.iso) with the mandriva.deb following these instructions:
    Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://lubi.sourceforge.net/unetbootin.html]unetbootin[/url]

Mandriva Instructions
    If installing Mandriva, first use PartedMagic Partition Manager (download) to create 2 spare partitions: a 4 GB one to store the ISO temporarily for installation, and a larger one to install Mandriva in. Then, download Mandriva Linux "Free" (NOT "One") 2008 to the new 4GB partition. Then install UNetbootin, reboot, and select "Hard Drive" as the installation source, select your 4GB partition and the folder containing the ISO, then proceed with the standard install process.

I need the beta because from time to time my Laptop freezes with the older kernel (also with ubuntu or other dists).
    Notebook: Toshiba Satellite Pro A100 (Intel Core Duo T2300 - ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 - Ubuntu Jaunty)
    Media Center: ASUS PUNDIT2 M2A690G (Athlon64 X2 3800+ EE - Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350 - Mythbuntu 9.04)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly View Post
    Bootloader apparently didn't get installed properly, for some reason (did you get any error messages, or did you just leave it unattended and come back to see the error? In the latter case, perhaps your connection might have failed while in the middle of downloading and installing the kernel/bootloader or the like, causing Fedora to abort the installation). Unless you were booting UNetbootin off a USB stick (and GRUB got installed to the USB drive not the hard drive due to a bug in Fedora's installer, this occurs on Ubuntu due to a bug in d-i, it may also affect Fedora), the issue is either an incompatibility between the version of GRUB installed by Fedora and your hardware (might be the SCSI/SATA/RAID controller; the kernel and GRUB use different code for handling disks so it may be that GRUB was incompatible with it but the kernel was compatible), or perhaps GRUB was installed using the wrong parameters (did you instruct it to install GRUB to the MBR or to a partition? Because if GRUB wasn't installed to the MBR, then the UNetbootin-installed GRUB might still be attempting to load, but since you probably wiped out its partition, it can't find the necessary files).

Hopefully this server isn't a remote Xen guest, because if you have physical access to it, you can probably easily fix all using the Super Grub Disk at http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/ (just boot the CD/floppy/USB drive, select the GRUB repair option, and all should work), but if you don't, you're going to have to attempt a remote recovery of the server's bootloader, which I believe may be possible if you can access the virtual server's BIOS itself or otherwise get it to do a PXE network boot off another server on the internet. If that's the case, I'm afriad I can't help, since I don't remotely administer servers, but these links might help (and if they don't, hopefully you can get hold of someone who has physical access to the servers so that you can do a GRUB recovery on them):

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PXEInstallServer
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/Netboot
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Xen
    Yes it was unattended so I didn't see any intermediate messages. The same problem has occurred on 2 separate servers now.

What's worse is, now the system looks broken. I try booting off a Fedora 7 LiveCD, and it works fine. Problem occurs when I click the "install to hard drive" icon on the desk top. On the second step where I select the language, it just freezes. It didn't use to do that. I had Fedora 7 installed using the same CD prior.

I tried re-formatting the hard drives, but still the same error. Do you have any ideas how to fix this thing?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Stevi View Post
    Hey, I've got some questions before using netbootin. I'd like to install mandriva-linux-2008-spring-free-ophrys-dvd-i586.iso. Is it possible to install this .iso (maybe renaming it to mandriva-linux-2008.0-free-dvd-i586.iso) with the mandriva.deb following these instructions:

I need the beta because from time to time my Laptop freezes with the older kernel (also with ubuntu or other dists).
    Extract the ophrys iso, locate the kernel and initrd (should be named vmlinuz and initrd.gz and be in the isolinux subdirectory or so), rename them to ubnkern and ubninit, and place them into c:\unetbootin (replace the existing ones), and reboot, that should do the job. If you can't find the initrd and kernel files, try using the ones off the ftp mirrors instead.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptical33 View Post
    Yes it was unattended so I didn't see any intermediate messages. The same problem has occurred on 2 separate servers now.

What's worse is, now the system looks broken. I try booting off a Fedora 7 LiveCD, and it works fine. Problem occurs when I click the "install to hard drive" icon on the desk top. On the second step where I select the language, it just freezes. It didn't use to do that. I had Fedora 7 installed using the same CD prior.

I tried re-formatting the hard drives, but still the same error. Do you have any ideas how to fix this thing?
    Strange, indeed... Anyhow, if you happen to have a DOS bootdisk handy, try booting that and using the DOS fdisk to create a new DOS disklabel, that'll wipe out the MBR, all partitions, and hopefully Fedora won't hang when attempting to install to the disk. Alternatively, you might try to overwrite the first few sectors of the hard drive (MBR, PBR, etc) using dd with null bytes, then use fdisk to initialize a new DOS disklabel, and see if that does the job.

Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast