Page 2 of 78 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Wanted! - Making a Gunbound-like game for Linux. Wanna help? :D

Re: Help Wanted! - Making a Gunbound-like game for Linux. Wanna help? :D

Quote Originally Posted by pixelstuff View Post
    argh! trying to register at gunbound to see what its like but the registration is always down the screenshots look promising though. are you going for anime-style?
    :/ I dunno about the registration . Anime style? not much really, I'm trying to make it more cel-shaded like (just outlining the sprites and such) rather than anime-like. This allows for using nice-looking graphics where cute graphics aren't an option . The game will be modificable too, so you can make your own mods and change the graphics from the game. I'm looking forward to include that feature in the game for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgerosa View Post
    Im now working on artwork and graphics for the game with DG. Then he will put online in 2-3 days. We hope.
    Yup, hopefully, let's see how it all goes . At least I'll have some graphics to show something more concrete ... I've been working on collision detection now (bounding box + pixel collision)... looks kinda tricky heh

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Regarding the forums, I decided to use www.freeforums.org for FreeTrain. It's easier that way (let somebody else handle the admin issues). Linky.
    Wand good Free Software games?
    Free Gamer - Open source game resource
    FreeGameDev - Free Software games community

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Wink Re: Help Wanted! - Making a Gunbound-like game for Linux. Wanna help? :D

OK, i found what the idea is here: Gunbound - Like i sayd... just an idea!
    Last edited by jorgerosa; May 11th, 2007 at 06:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Watching the video, it looks very similar to Wormux just with slightly fancier weapons & graphics. Perhaps you should look at extending their codebase rather than writing your own from scratch?

Quote Originally Posted by charlieg View Post
    Regarding the forums, I decided to use www.freeforums.org for FreeTrain. It's easier that way (let somebody else handle the admin issues). Linky.
    Hey, I've been looking for something like that for ages! thanks for the link! ... what about features though? can I backup the database in case I move the forum somewhere else? what about themes? user management? bans, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by jorgerosa View Post
    OK, i found what the idea is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czpHzlpj-_c
    Like i sayd... just an idea! Of course with DG code things will be much better!
    Duh, I should've put a video/screenshot in this post here then but thanks heh, your art looks great for the kind of game... gah! if only I could accelerate the process so I can show some screenies xD.... but I've got some good news: bounding box collision is working! next is pixel-perfect collision and other stuff

Watching the video, it looks very similar to Wormux just with slightly fancier weapons & graphics. Perhaps you should look at extending their codebase rather than writing your own from scratch?
    Personally I like to write my own things from scratch because I learn a lot from trial and error, documenting myself and such. Of course, there is stuff that I can't do alone by lack of experience, so I try to look for code around the net and study it (or implement in my code in any case) ... some people that when they learn, and with time they make their own algorithms too, so it's all good. I can't work with someone else's code for God's sake, since I have my own programming style and it's hard for me to adapt to someone else's style (though I have to do it at work... and it's a PAIN) but I've found that others can adapt easily to my style (dunno why?) so it's alright I guess. No one has ever tried to make a project like mine (Wormux is a worms clone, not a gunbound clone) so...

The idea of making this game is to improve the GP2D library. I just didn't want to make it without any game or "insign project" to show, so it isn't like "hey, you can make games with it but no one has made a game with it yet" ... that gives a BAD impression, and I don't want that.

Besides, the game looks nice and all, but it's too worms-like (UI and style). Gunbound is pretty different - when you get a chance get on a windows box and try it, you'll see why I say this

Edit: Here's a screenshot of my latest collision tests (provisional graphics of course, I'm not a big artist and that SuSe lizard is there on purpose ). I'm trying to get the coordinates in the images out of the overlapping collision rectangle - it's hard x_x

Last edited by DARKGuy; May 1st, 2007 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Screenshot!

Well, I just received another email from Jorgerosa !!!... man, his art is AWESOME!! it's incredible the skill of the people that conform this great community, just take a look at this wallpaper he just sent me!

(Click for larger, 1600x1200 image!)

Aren't they cute? ^___^ I think they're adorable, the perfect kind of graphics the game will have! . Also, yes, the game is gonna be named "i-team" for now. Why? Jorge's idea

On another note, the project is going to have its own website and url address too, so it won't share the gamepower address one. Also, I just need to know how to read the pixels of a GL texture to finish my pixel-perfect collision routine. I'm working on it right now.

Way to go! !!
    Last edited by DARKGuy; May 1st, 2007 at 11:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That looks seriously cool. 8)

Talking Re: Help Wanted! - Making a Gunbound-like game for Linux. Wanna help? :D

That looks seriously cool. 8)
    It is!

Also, I can detect now the alpha of every pixel in a surface! this means I can have pixel-perfect collision now! just take a look at this!

Now I'll just have to get some time tomorrow to finish my pixel-perfect collision routine and keep going!
    Last edited by DARKGuy; May 4th, 2007 at 08:18 AM.

YEAH baby! pixel-perfect collision is finally done! now I'm gonna need some graphics to start working on the project now, now that I have a base to start with .

Now, using the chance to bump too (sorry xD) if somebody else wants to help with the project they're welcome to! I'm still looking for musicians, opengl/sdl/c++ programmers and any other kind of help you can bring! =)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm not a fan at all of 'cute' art but that wallpaper is pretty awesome.

Debian uses a devil though? I thought that was FreeBSD.

Page 2 of 78 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast