Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glowing Gnome 2.11

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Glowing Gnome 2.11

Quote Originally Posted by weekend warrior
    Isn't that the truth.... I seem to be in a minority of one here. I wonder how many of you use light or very light themes and if this has a bearing on it. You can see how dark my preferred themes are (click on "got the blues?"). With this type of theme in a lower light environment, incessant glowing really does stand out to the point of distraction.
    OK, i tried some darker themes. It it a little more distracting when the font color goes to white on a dark theme in a completely dark room. I think i'd get used to it though, still easier on the eyes than blinking. I agree that the glow should use theme colors if possible; maybe you should contact the developers.

Well if this is the way Gnome is going, I'll have to pack my bags and move to a diffrent DE - more minimalist or something that will allow me to easily switch this type of stuff off - ironically enough, KDE might fit the bill.
    Well, some people are happier with KDE. *shrug* I'm not one of them, but i won't force gnome on people who don't like the way it does things.

Beans

[QUOTE=weekend warrior]
    Well if this is the way Gnome is going, I'll have to pack my bags and move to a diffrent DE - more minimalist or something that will allow me to easily switch this type of stuff off [\QUOTE]

I personally beleive that the rise of XFCE allows for Gnome to lose some of its simplicity without leaving behind those that dislike eyecandy but like GTK apps!
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Hidden!

exactly. I do remember a time when KDE was the heavy DE and Gnome was the light one. Now they're both heavy, and XFCE is the light one. I just hope XFCE stays light. I love having that option if I ever need it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'm gonna sound like a n00b, but how do I update to the now glowy GNOME?
    Human knowledge belongs to the world

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenal
    I'm gonna sound like a n00b, but how do I update to the now glowy GNOME?
    I bet the easiest way is to use Breezy if you want a new Gnome. Please note that Breezy is a time bomb (I used to use Hoary in development, I won't use breezy) and odd numbered Gnome releases are unstable ones.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Hidden!

There's a howto in the howto section about how to get the patches to run it in hoary, which is what I'm doing. Very simple and straightforward. I'll see about tracking it down.

here it is:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=39776
    Last edited by TravisNewman; June 19th, 2005 at 02:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks for the help.
    GNOME getting more eyecandy is...controversial i guess. Didn't LugRadio say that it was going to fork?
    Human knowledge belongs to the world

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenal
    Didn't LugRadio say that it was going to fork?

Already was:

GoneME

http://www.akcaagac.com/index_goneme.html

Plus there is speculation that Gnome 3 would be a fork instead of an upgrade to Gnome 2.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    I personally beleive that the rise of XFCE allows for Gnome to lose some of its simplicity without leaving behind those that dislike eyecandy but like GTK apps!
    It's not the inclusion of more features or eye candy that's solely at issue, rather the lack of easy-to-use tools to deal with those features. People want glowing? *sigh* alright - but provide the tools to shut it off if someone like me doesn't want it. This is the problem. In fact, it begs the question - ask yourself, would this glowing even be an issue if Gnome had provided focus stealing options in the first place?

XFCE has an easy to use focus model options that include a "new window focus" tickbox to "automatically give focus to newly created windows" as well as other interface options lacking in Gnome that I look at and say "be nice if those were in Gnome!" In this sense iat least t's almost laughable to say "heavy" Gnome offers more to the user than "light" XCFE. Looking through XFCE options one comes to the conclusion that Gnome is incomplete or substandard in terms of interface management tools. This is the issue.

To illustrate, one of the better known examples we're all familiar with - changing the GDM is simple enough but what about the splashscreen? Is there any good reason to rummage through the config for this? I suppose this is what I'll have to do to switch off this glowing business too *sigh*. Is this really the way ahead for Gnome? Old style "registry" hacks? Is this enough when other environments like XCFE or even Enlightenment are clearly on their way up?

Note, this isn't me knocking Gnome because I like some other DE better (that's simply not the case) but rather me wondering what's going on in the heads of the Gnome community when confronted with these configurability shortcomings in side-by-side comparisons. More features? fine - but also the tools to easily manage them.

Beans

Oh and btw - the easiest way to get wet with Gnome 2.11 is downloading the latest Gnoppix Live CD dev build taken from a snapshot of Breezy. I didn't have any major problems while playing around with it.

You'll find it in the download sites inside the gnoppix/beta folder >>> http://www.gnoppix.org/

EDIT: Apparently the one just released yesterday is also installable.
    Last edited by weekend warrior; June 19th, 2005 at 01:11 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12