Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: HowTo:How to Install Java in Ubuntu/Kubuntu

Beans

Re: HowTo:How to Install Java in Ubuntu/Kubuntu

This tutorial worked really good.

I am using Kubuntu 9.10 and Firefox 3.5 and this tutorial solved my Java-problems.

//Mattias

Beans

java version "1.6.0_15"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_15-b03)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 14.1-b02, mixed mode, sharing)

Thanks worked a treat.
    #!Crunchbang

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ZenWarrior View Post
    Attempting to install Java, but without success.

Followed the directions above, Java downloaded, but then I saw a screen which isn't in the instructions (I think). And quite frankly, I've forgotten exactly what it said, but there was an <OK>. However, hitting enter did nothing. In fact, there seemed no way to respond to it. The window was informational and there was no prompt, just the <OK> which did nothing.

I also did not see the following on the first try that left me with the seemingly nonfunctioning <OK> dialog :

So, I then shut down Terminal and began the process again. That delivered a message about something still being open and it continued no further. I only knew to quit Ubuntu to close whatever files were open and did so.

I restarted Ubuntu and Terminal. Again I attempted to follow the Java installation instructions, but now I get the following:

Code:
    jimmy@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts
    Password:
    E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem. 
    jimmy@ubuntu:~$ dpkg --configure -a
    dpkg: requested operation requires superuser privilege
    jimmy@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts
    E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem. 
    jimmy@ubuntu:~$
    Help, please?

Also, why is it that Terminal reports an older version of Java being installed, but Firefox doesn't see it? About : plugins entered into Firefox does not list the older version of Java that Terminal says is there.

Code:
    jimmy@ubuntu:~$ java -version
    java version "1.4.2"
    gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.1.2 (Ubuntu 4.1.2-0ubuntu5)
    Oh, and I'm a complete noob so please bear with me. I'm finding I am oblivious to the obvious when it comes to Ubuntu and Linux.
    After restarting ubuntu just follow the instructions in the terminal. So type
    Code:
    andor@KubuntuReserve:-$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Setting up java-common (0.30 Ubuntu5) ...

Processing triggers for man-db ...
    andor@KubuntuReserve:~$ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts
    Reading package lists... Done                                                              
    Building dependency tree                                                                   
    Reading state information... Done                                                          
    You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:                               
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:                                            
      sun-java6-jre: Depends: sun-java6-bin (= 6-15-1) but it is not going to be installed or  
                              ia32-sun-java6-bin (= 6-15-1) but it is not installable          
                     Recommends: gsfonts-x11 but it is not going to be installed               
      sun-java6-plugin: Depends: sun-java6-bin (= 6-15-1) but it is not going to be installed  
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).  
    andor@KubuntuReserve:~$ sudo apt-get -f install
    Building dependency tree                       
    Correcting dependencies... Done
    Then in the Dialog screen hit the TAB button and "ok" will be selected. Hit Enter and you're off!

Beans

I know this question has been asked before, but no answer was being given. After my installation of java with the procedure above, no java plugin could be found in Firefox. Although if I entered "java -version" in the terminal I get"

Code:
    andor@KubuntuReserve:~$ java -version                                                          
    java version "1.6.0_15"                                                                        
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_15-b03)                                           
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 14.1-b02, mixed mode, sharing)
    So it seems to be installed correctly. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

Beans

Gmaster1440 all I can say is THANK YOU...I have done the java install by following the install directions off the java site every time and it is nothing less than confusing and frustrating...I followed your tut to the letter and BAM installed and working freakin great! Much much thanks for making my life (and I'm sure alot of other peoples lives) easier.

John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by closetmonsterrr View Post
    ok i installed everything and made it to the licensing, but since im a noob n couldnt figure out how to select the <OK> at the end, i closed the page n java doenst work...
    how can i bring up the licensing/user agreement so i can ok it again?
    For those that are having an issue trying to select the Okay Button in the License agreement.

All you simply need to do it hit the tab button once. The okay will highlight in red and hit the enter key. Then it goes to the screen saying you must agree to the terms. Make sure you hit okay by moving the left arrow key. I believe it highlights no as the default. After that it will finish the installation without a single problem.

I do know one thing is it will not work in Konqueror after it is installed. The reason being is Java actually hasn't given support for Konqueror and there is a special thing that someone did that you have to get to get it to work. I will let you know now that konqueror sucks and you should stay with mozilla.

Beans

(Running 9.04 here) I also had the problem with not being able to push the button in the Sun agreement dialog. What worked for me there was pushing the left and right keys, which highlighted the <ok> button. Of course, I closed the terminal at first when I couldn't click ok, which caused the same problem ZenWarrior had (post #17) but I got through that ok. Running java version in the terminal would not work however; it said it couldn't find a bunch of things. I closed that terminal window and can't find any logs of it, so unfortunately I can't paste in exactly what it said. I fixed this through Synaptic: type "java" in the search field, and maybe 12-15 entries down is the java 6 plugin, which was not checked. I just checked the box to install it, and now I can play all the other yahoo games besides chess!

Beans

when i try to install this is what i get:

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts
    Building dependency tree
    Package sun-java6-jre is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    E: Package sun-java6-jre has no installation candidate

what should i do?

Beans

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TroyStachnik View Post
    when i try to install this is what i get:

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts
    Building dependency tree
    Package sun-java6-jre is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    E: Package sun-java6-jre has no installation candidate

what should i do?
    Go to Software Sources in System>Administration and under the Other Software tab make sure that http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu lucid partner is check. That's what fixed it for me.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast