Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo:How to Install Java in Ubuntu/Kubuntu

Beans

Re: HowTo:How to Install Java in Ubuntu/Kubuntu

Found the answer (to my own problem)!

It was listed over here. Google search helped me more than Ubuntu forums search, sorry for the unnecessary post.

Beans

I tried step one by opening a terminal and typing: sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts. Everything seemed to be downloading. Eventually, there was a sun license agreement with an <ok> at the bottom, a graphic within the terminal that had no way of clicking the ok or saying yes or any other way of continuing the installation. It's the BSOD of Sun Java. Now what?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by ZenWarrior View Post
    Although it is not at all my intention, this posting may step on a few toes here.

I heard tons of good stuff about Ubuntu, and thus decided to give it a try. However, it is still light-years away from prime-time or coming the least bit close to taking over the world--regardless of what its supporters say.

Why is that? Well, I just read this somewhere else online and must agree--that is, community support of Ubuntu leaves much to be desired. (Please, this is meant as constructive criticism. I want Ubuntu/Linux to be everywhere just as much as any true Linux geek.) Yes, many questions get answered in these forums, but I have also noticed that many (far too many?) go unanswered--sometimes for days, weeks, or are never answered.

Take this thread and my question as an example. Obviously, I am having the same problem trying to follow this tutorial someone else is having. They have not received a response of any kind and neither have I. I know this may be difficult for some to understand, but if I'm to use Ubuntu it has to work. But without Java, a "modern" OS/browser combo just doesn't cut it. Java is needed to both play and work on the net. No Java means no functionality too many times.

An exception to what I've seen is ago over in the Wubi forum. Questions there at least get an, "I don't know." That serves to let a user know someone is at least paying attention--and might even care. However, I do not see the same prevalence of that at many other places in these forums. If you want to take over the world with Ubuntu, the very people you seek to convert (noobs) *must* be able to find some sort of support in a timely manner. And although life is casual for many, that means within 24 hours. More than that and life has been put on hold b/c of the problem.

For example, I cannot use Ubuntu at present simply because something which is as easy as pie with both Windows and Mac, installing and using Java, just isn't happening with Ubuntu. Posting here by me and someone else has not brought us help, but only continued frustration.

So although I *really* want to use Ubuntu, it's coming off my computer today--and likely for a very long time. It's useless if it doesn't work and the community doesn't help. Again, this is meant as constructive criticism that I hope someone recognizes as illuminating a real problem, and not as something unimportant, bogus, or trollish.

However, feel free to flame away. But as you do, please keep in mind that I would much rather be using Ubuntu to post this instead of Windows. Unfortunately, the next sites I'll be visiting require Java--but Ubuntu [apparently] hasn't placed very much importance on making Java happen for people who wish to adopt Ubuntu. In sum, no Java means no Ubuntu. And, a tutorial which doesn't work isn't a tutorial--it's wasted bytes and time.

That said, I do hope to check my mail sometime today and see a message that leads me back here to at least find someone *trying* to help, even if not offering a procedure which does. And again, I am not the only one saying this about Ubuntu's forums. Others see they aren't helped and turn away, too. That certainly isn't good for either Ubuntu or a "free" computing environment. It only rewards the de facto monopoly (i.e., Microsoft) we all would prefer to have less control over us and our computers.
    It's been more than 6 months...I can't believe that nobody has answered to this...at least to say that they empathize with you, or any sign or recognition at all...

You're absolutely right, the "great community support" that the Ubuntu advertises is far from being so great. I've been on this forum for a few months, with mixed results; some people have been very helpful, but I wouldn't call mixed results "great".

Anyway, your problem doesn't even seem so complicated after all: I think that the OK button would have become active if you tabbed your way through it, until it was highlighted, and then press enter. I know this has worked for me before. And when something asks for "superuser privileges" it means that you have to type "sudo" before the respective command. It will probably ask you for your password, and then it will run.

But that is not the point...the point is that someone should have bothered to reply. It's that simple. Anything. Just 3 words.

Ubuntu is still so close, yet so very far from its ambitions...
    Last edited by vvvladut; May 8th, 2008 at 07:48 PM.

Beans

So, installing java 1.6 from apt-get in an sshed command-line window, and I got the same screen as others above "Do you agree with the DLJ license terms" <Yes> <No>

There's no indication of making a selection, no indication how to make a selection or continue or whatever. Through trial and error it appears that you make a selection with the TAB key, and then you confirm it with ENTER. Since you can't see what you're selecting, you may need to do what I did... Count the number of times you hit tab followed by enter. If that doesn't work, do one less, or one more the next time you try. Trial and error, but hitting tab and enter are your tools.

Beans

I recently installed ubuntu.

I then installed java 6 and eclipse. I am able to use java in eclipse.

My latest installation is oracle-xe, which I haven't been able to configure.

When I try to use the apt-get command to install libaio1, it gets stuck on what it considers unfinished java installation.

The code is as follows:

dave@dave-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install libaio1
    [sudo] password for dave:
    E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
    dave@dave-desktop:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of oracle-xe-universal:
    oracle-xe-universal depends on libaio (>= 0.3.96) | libaio1 (>= 0.3.96); however:
    Package libaio is not installed.
    Package libaio1 is not installed.
    dpkg: error processing oracle-xe-universal (--configure):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    oracle-xe-universal
    dave@dave-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install libaio1
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    linux-headers-2.6.28-11 linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following extra packages will be installed:
    sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre
    Suggested packages:
    sun-java6-plugin ia32-sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts
    Recommended packages:
    gsfonts-x11
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    libaio1
    The following packages will be upgraded:
    sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre
    2 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
    3 not fully installed or removed.
    Need to get 0B/35.5MB of archives.
    After this operation, 101MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    Preconfiguring packages ...
    (Reading database ...
    dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `sun-java6-jre' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

//ending with...

Package configuration

┌───────────────────────────┤ Configuring sun-java6-jre ├──

a java screen follows with the terms and conditions ending with <Ok>. I cannot find a way of getting beyond this and have to restart the computer in order to be able to enter apt-get commands once more.

Any suggestions?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jeffemmert View Post
    I tried step one by opening a terminal and typing: sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts. Everything seemed to be downloading. Eventually, there was a sun license agreement with an <ok> at the bottom, a graphic within the terminal that had no way of clicking the ok or saying yes or any other way of continuing the installation. It's the BSOD of Sun Java. Now what?
    I get the same thing as indicated in my previous reply... I think finding a way to exit this BSOD will allow it to complete gracefully, but any key I hit has no effect on this.

Beans

ok i installed everything and made it to the licensing, but since im a noob n couldnt figure out how to select the <OK> at the end, i closed the page n java doenst work...
    how can i bring up the licensing/user agreement so i can ok it again?

Beans

this is wat it says when i try to do:
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts

and then i get this error:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

how do i fix this?.. :O

Beans

still figuring out how to get it to work in firefox corectly when install, but in the license agreement to get to the bottom hit the TAB key to highlight it then hit enter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by closetmonsterrr View Post
    this is wat it says when i try to do:
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts

and then i get this error:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

how do i fix this?.. :O

do what the error says to do, open terminal and type

Code:
    dpkg --configure -a

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast