Thread: Had sound problems

Beans

Had sound problems

I installed Ubuntu to my IBM ThinkPad during last weekend. Everything else went smooth but for some reason sounds didn't work. I tweaked all the settings I could find and checked that alsa-drivers were correct. Nothing helped. Then just before I was going to post here asking for help I remembered that IBM ThinkPads have hardware sound adjustment. Pressed few buttons and sounds kicked in. I had in some point put it to mute and didn't remember it.

I was so close making total fool out of myself. And now I'm doing it anyway by telling everybody what a moron I was.

Beans

Re: Had sound problems

I don't think you are a moron. Your post may save someone else the same frustration. Its often the little things we tend to overlook.

Peace Jeff

Beans
    I had a similiar situation though my involved a wireless card. My laptop has an option to disable the wireless card using the Fn-f2 key. I spent about 30 minutes troubleshooting my wireless connection before I realized it was disabled.

It's surpising how easy it is to overlook "simple" fixes when tackling new problems only to find those solutions after hours of troubleshooting.

Beans

Hey - that's OK... I even went so far as to call a webhosting company to give them greif that a client's site was down, and then realised that I had been playing with my firewall at home and had added a rule that blocked out the class A that they were on.

d'oh.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Julle
    I installed Ubuntu to my IBM ThinkPad during last weekend. Everything else went smooth but for some reason sounds didn't work. I tweaked all the settings I could find and checked that alsa-drivers were correct. Nothing helped. Then just before I was going to post here asking for help I remembered that IBM ThinkPads have hardware sound adjustment. Pressed few buttons and sounds kicked in. I had in some point put it to mute and didn't remember it.
    I spent about two or three hours trying everything I could with sound on my X40 before I realised that the random beeps in XP had annoyed me so much I'd whacked the hardware mute button.
    daniel dot stone at ubuntu dot com

Beans

Well, I HAD sound - until I did a kernel upgrade, to the latest available today - how can I retrieve the wonderful "Welcome Chime" that was on RC1?

Beans

Hi folks,
    I got my 'sound missing after upgrade' fixed, by reinstalling the "gnome-sound" package. All's well again!
    How 'bout them thar Red Sox !!!!

Beans

Oh man !!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you so much for this thread !

I also own a X40 and wondered about my sound problems ! It was the hardware switch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For 3 days know I tried to figure out......

alex

Beans
    Hidden!

I once thought I had bought a dead motherboard. I tried for hours to get this thing to boot, taking everything apart and putting it back together at least 6 or 7 times. I then realized that I'd totally forgotten to plug in the power cord.

So no, you aren't a moron.