Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do we need a logo ???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Do we need a logo ???

OK, that's we HAVE to use the Sperm Whale!!!! that's an Awesome idea!!!
    And BTW I used Paint.Net for the logo I built also.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by garlik42 View Post
    I hope the Mono group will be able to get a working, up-to-date port of Paint.NET for Linux sometime.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by garlik42 View Post
    I like sperm whale too. Husky is sooo UCONN, Yalies would ask for ugly bulldog (and call it handsome)

Sperm whale is rather "square-headed", with come luck artist can create whale with looks like CT map (tail toward NYC) - with ubuntu logo as a eye?

Edit: Sperm whale pics - to get you idea what i mean: here1 - here2 - here3 - here4[ - here5 - here6 - here7 - here8 - here9 - here10 - here11 - - here12

more whales
    Last edited by pmasiar; April 26th, 2007 at 09:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

grapes of wrath...

By the way, I don't want Garlik to think we're ungrateful for his first design. Art by committee is always a contact sport...

One idea that came to me was to use the 3 parts of the Ubuntu "tango" logo to fill in for the 3 grapevines on the Connecticut state seal. Maybe in "kubuntu blue", since we're accustomed to seeing it on blue. Or maybe a blue Kubuntu tango with the grapevines in place of the round heads...

Beans
    Distro

No biggie, the pic I threw up is an idea, it is not even close to a finished product.
    Let's figgure out what we want on the logo, they we can all start trying to produce finished product.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I know I'm not a Connecticut-er at all, but I saw this thread in the New Posts section and decided to have a look.

Keep this in mind when designing a logo: the Ubuntu COF and whatever you add to it cannot be touching at all. This also includes not putting things inside the circle. If the Ubuntu logo overlaps something else, it has to be on top.

The Ohio team had problems with this in the beginning, and we had to fix our logo.

Full details at http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy near the bottom.

-Randomly posting Jacob
    Last edited by jpeddicord; April 30th, 2007 at 03:54 AM. Reason: i can never spell Connecticut right!

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the heads up Jacob, I don't see anything about not putting something inside the circle or keeping the logo on top, but we could still try to keep these as goals for our work in progress ....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the heads-up! We'll have to look into this carefully. Is there a specific person or persons to contact for approval, or should everything go through trademarks@ubuntu.com ?

I pulled this from the link jacobmp92 supplied (thanks for the link).
    From http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy, emphasis added by me
    Logo Usage Guidelines

Our logos are presented in multiple colours and it is important that their visual integrity be maintained. It is therefore preferable that the logos only be used in their standard form but if you should feel the need to alter them in any way you should keep the following guidelines in mind. It should also be borne in mind that the more you wish to vary our logos from their standard form the smaller is the chance that we will be able to approve your proposed use.
    • If presented in multiple colours, the logo should only use the "official" logo colours
    • You may use transparency and gradient/depth tools but should retain the “official” colours.
    • A monotone version may be acceptable in certain situations, if the use requires it (e.g. desktop backgrounds.
    • Any scaling must retain the original proportions of the logo.
    I'm wondering if the current logo (my Avatar) fails on bullet #4 (Any scaling must retain the original proportions of the logo.)?
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up! We'll have to look into this carefully. Is there a specific person or persons to contact for approval, or should everything go through trademarks@ubuntu.com ?

I pulled this from the link jacobmp92 supplied (thanks for the link).
    I'm wondering if the current logo (my Avatar) fails on bullet #4 (Any scaling must retain the original proportions of the logo.)?
    Your avatar is fine with #4, it's just the unlisted rules (which used to be there at one point. ).

If you contact the trademarks address, you will probably get someone specific to email. You will get more specific usage guidelines. Provide your current logos and ask about them, they'll give you some suggestions.

Jacob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I started trying to work on a logo a while ago, but I really like garlik42's whale. Having worked with graphics for a while, I just have a suggestion for whoever designs the final logo. Try creating it in a vector graphics program, such as Inkscape, and saving the original in .svg format. It makes a lot cleaner edges when resizing, and also makes any future editing of the image easy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast