Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: TI SD Card Reader *FEISTY SUPPORTED*

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

HOWTO: TI SD Card Reader *FEISTY SUPPORTED*

There are no drivers for Sony MS, Sony MS Pro, and xD. They have yet to be written. This will only get SD & MMC cards working.

Copied from my blog:

Dapper: sorry, no support in this kernel. Upgrade to Edgy or Feisty, or try using the Feisty method (let me know if it works). If the Feisty way doesn't work, maybe I'll download the 2.6.15 sources and see if I can find out what's missing to make it work on Dapper, but I don't have a Dapper box to test with

Edgy: The modules for the card reader aren't loading.
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modules
    Add to that file:
    tifm_sd
    tifm_7xx1
    tifm_core
    Save it, and on next reboot it will work fine. To get it working right now:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe tifm_7xx1
    sudo modprobe tifm_core
    sudo modprobe tirm_sd
    Feisty: The 2.6.20-15 kernel is lacking proper TI modules (version 0.7) and a few header files are messed up / missing. This will correct the headers and install version 0.8.
    jdong says I should mention that I don't know yet how this will effect (if it does at all) kernel updates. I don't believe full kernel updates will be affected at all since the files are only in the current kernel, *however* if tifm is updated through the update manager (without a kernel update), I don't know what will happen. If you see a tifm update on the update manager, you should probably run the uninstall script before updating
    If your Feisty is up to date and using 2.6.20-16 (use "uname -r" to check), this script won't help. It just adds v 0.8 of the drivers, and that is in the 2.6.20-16 build. A fresh install of Feisty has 2.6.20-15 though, and that needed the script.

If you haven't compiled anything before:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`
    You will need to download my TIFM installer. Save that installer file somewhere (Desktop works) and extract it or use the "Archive Manager" to extract it immediately. There's a readme, but I'll tell you what to do anyway (note, I'm sure the terminal way works, I didn't test the GUI way, so if it doesn't ask for your password or it doesn't do anything after asking for your password, try the terminal way).

GUI way: Right click on install.sh.
    Go to properties > permissions and check off "execute".
    Double click on install.sh.
    Choose "run in terminal."

Terminal way: If you saved and extracted to your Desktop (if not, cd to wherever you saved it),
    Code:
    cd ~/Desktop
    sudo chmod +x install.sh
    sh install.sh
    It should now run, copy files, compile, etc. At the end of that, you should have a working card reader. Please let me know if this doesn't work for you so I can modify it. Ubuntu did not include some of the necessary files by default in the kernel (part of what the script does is fix that), and I doubt that kernel updates will include those files either. As such, you will probably need to run this script after each kernel update.
    Last edited by macogw; May 31st, 2007 at 07:32 AM.

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans

Re: HOWTO: TI SD Card Reader *FEISTY SUPPORTED*

First, thank you for your tuto.
    I had some issues with your method, but in the end, I got my TI card reader "Feisty supported" with your path.

First, your install.sh has some errors : some spaces which would not be there at the lines 11, 13 and 15 :
    Code:
    sudo mv /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/misc/tifm_core.ko /lib/modules    /`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/misc/tifm_core.ko-old
    sudo mv /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/misc/tifm_7xx1.ko /lib/modules    /`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/misc/tifm_7xx1.ko-old
    sudo mv /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/mmc/tifm_sd.ko /lib/modules/`u    name -r`/kernel/drivers/mmc/tifm_sd.ko-old
    This breaks your backup system

But I had one more mistake : on my computer, the module tifm_sd is in fact located in
    Code:
    /lib/modules/2.6.20-15-generic/kernel/drivers/mmc/host
    Which implies two more problems :
    • first, the line 15 is wrong again : miss "/host/" :
      Code:
      sudo mv /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/mmc/host/tifm_sd.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/mmc/host/tifm_sd.ko-old
    • and then, your script seems to install the new driver tifm_sd in the wrong path :
      Code:
      /lib/modules/2.6.20-15-generic/kernel/drivers/mmc
      instead of :
      Code:
      /lib/modules/2.6.20-15-generic/kernel/drivers/mmc/host/

So, I put the script install.sh which I assume right :
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    touch install.log
    cd mmc
    sudo cp protocol.h /usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r`/include/linux/mmc/protocol.h
    echo "New protocol.h added" >> ../install.log
    sudo mv /usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r`/include/linux/mmc/host.h /usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r`/include/linux/mmc/host.h.old
    echo "Old host.h file backed up" >> ../install.log
    sudo cp host.h /usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r`/include/linux/mmc/host.h
    echo "New host.h file copied in" >> ../install.log
    cd ../tifm
    sudo mv /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/misc/tifm_core.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/misc/tifm_core.ko-old
    echo "Backed up tifm_core.ko (named tifm_core.ko-old)" >> ../install.log
    sudo mv /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/misc/tifm_7xx1.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/misc/tifm_7xx1.ko-old
    echo "Backed up tifm_7xx1.ko (named tifm_7xx1.ko-old)" >> ../install.log
    sudo mv /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/mmc/host/tifm_sd.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/mmc/host/tifm_sd.ko-old
    echo "Backed up tifm_sd.ko (named tifm_sd.ko-old)" >> ../install.log
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    echo "Ran tifm's Makefile" >> ../install.log
    sudo make clean
    echo "Cleaned tifm directory" >> ../install.log
    And then, I needed to run some commands after this script, to correct the mistake of wrong path :
    • Backuping the old module :
      Code:
    • Installing the new one, which is wrong-located :
      Code:
      sudo mv /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/mmc/tifm_sd.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/mmc/host/

After this, I restarted some modules (there, I can't say if there are some too many, surely yes ) :
    Code:
    sudo rmmod tifm_sd
    sudo rmmod mmc_block
    sudo rmmod sdhci
    sudo rmmod tifm_7xx1
    sudo rmmod tifm_core
    sudo modprobe tifm_sd
    sudo modprobe tifm_7xx1 
    sudo modprobe tifm_core
    sudo modprobe mmc_core
    sudo modprobe mmc_block
    sudo modprobe sdhci
    Finally I inserted my card and whoooooo, it works !!

To finish, maybe you should look to your uninstall.sh script too to modify this mistakes.
    And maybe we need to put tifm_sd in /etc/modules ?
    Thanks a lot again

Ghimli
    Last edited by ghimli; April 24th, 2007 at 10:50 PM.

Beans

The second mistake is in fact due to an error in the makefile in your tifm_sd folder.

Beans
    Distro

The Makefile is from the original devs. With the new tifm_sd.ko in that location, it works fine, but I'll modify it to use Ubuntu's locations.

I updated the package since you downloaded it to get rid of the whitespace and remove the line that messes with tifm_sd.ko.

I already tested about /etc/modules, and it doesn't have to be added to that file like it did in Edgy. /etc/modules can be blank and have it work.

I've just uploaded a new version which uses Ubuntu's placement for the tifm_sd.ko and which automatically unloads and reloads the modules.

Hopefully that clears up all the bugs.

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans

Thank you again !

I checked for the new archive and everything looks fine.
    Except one thing : maybe unprobing mmc_core should not work directly, because of its dependances (sdhci & mmc_block) are still probed ?

edit : I always forget : I'm running Feisty Fawn 32 on a HP Pavilion dv 5142eu, just for information .
    Last edited by ghimli; April 25th, 2007 at 08:54 AM.

Beans

Hi Maco,

I tried your install skript and it worked well. But afterwards nothing changed. dmesg is still saying that " ms card is detected in socket 0" but nothing else happens.
    I tried the rmmod and modprobe commands which ghimli suggested nad got following dmesg output

[ 6521.012000] tifm0 : demand removing card from socket 0:0
    [ 6522.688000] tifm_core: MemoryStick card detected in socket 0:0
    [ 6522.696000] tifm_sd: disagrees about version of symbol tifm_eject
    [ 6522.696000] tifm_sd: Unknown symbol tifm_eject
    [ 6522.696000] tifm_sd: disagrees about version of symbol tifm_register_driver
    [ 6522.696000] tifm_sd: Unknown symbol tifm_register_driver
    [ 6522.696000] tifm_sd: disagrees about version of symbol tifm_unmap_sg
    [ 6522.696000] tifm_sd: Unknown symbol tifm_unmap_sg
    [ 6522.696000] tifm_sd: disagrees about version of symbol tifm_map_sg
    [ 6522.696000] tifm_sd: Unknown symbol tifm_map_sg
    [ 6522.696000] tifm_sd: disagrees about version of symbol tifm_unregister_driver
    [ 6522.696000] tifm_sd: Unknown symbol tifm_unregister_driver
    When i tried to load tifm_sd an error occured:
    FATAL: Error inserting tifm_sd (/lib/modules/2.6.20-15-generic/kernel/drivers/mmc/host/tifm_sd.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    I tried to get a clue of the content in https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s....20/+bug/53923
    but I not sure if i did.
    Maybe you can give me a hint.
    Last edited by Nonsenseproteine; April 25th, 2007 at 11:01 AM. Reason: forgot something

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I had to
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r sdhci
    and
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r mmc_core
    to do it, but this worked like a charm.

I love you.
    For dark is the suede that mows like a harvest

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Nonsenseproteine View Post
    Hi Maco,

I tried your install skript and it worked well. But afterwards nothing changed. dmesg is still saying that " ms card is detected in socket 0" but nothing else happens.
    I tried the rmmod and modprobe commands which ghimli suggested nad got following dmesg output

When i tried to load tifm_sd an error occured:

I tried to get a clue of the content in https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s....20/+bug/53923
    but I not sure if i did.
    Maybe you can give me a hint.
    In the folder that resulted from unzipping, look inside the tifm folder. There should be a Module.symvers text file. What does it say?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Nonsenseproteine View Post
    Hi Maco,

I tried your install script and it worked well. But afterwards nothing changed. dmesg is still saying that " ms card is detected in socket 0" but nothing else happens.
    I ran the TIFM script OK, but SD card still not mounting, Then I rebooted and inserted my SD card and all was well. So maybe a reboot (or at least some modprobes) is needed to get it all going. Rebooting seemed easier!

MACOGW: thank you very much for the work you've done on this!
    Last edited by tonywhelan; April 26th, 2007 at 04:04 AM. Reason: add a THANX

Beans

Hi Macow,

First of all thanks for your help.

The Module.symvers file has following content:
    0x7625ea0d tifm_alloc_device drivers/misc/tifm_core EXPORT_SYMBOL
    0xb1deb2e3 tifm_map_sg drivers/misc/tifm_core EXPORT_SYMBOL
    0x39f86aa1 tifm_queue_work /home/moritz/Desktop/tifm_install/tifm/tifm_core EXPORT_SYMBOL
    0xd98bbe7e tifm_alloc_adapter drivers/misc/tifm_core EXPORT_SYMBOL
    0x257b1daf tifm_add_adapter drivers/misc/tifm_core EXPORT_SYMBOL
    0xee5a18c5 tifm_unregister_driver drivers/misc/tifm_core EXPORT_SYMBOL
    0xdf91b1db tifm_free_adapter drivers/misc/tifm_core EXPORT_SYMBOL
    0x5104a1b3 tifm_eject drivers/misc/tifm_core EXPORT_SYMBOL
    0x56d708ec tifm_free_device drivers/misc/tifm_core EXPORT_SYMBOL
    0x83b47cf3 tifm_unmap_sg drivers/misc/tifm_core EXPORT_SYMBOL
    0x645f016b tifm_register_driver drivers/misc/tifm_core EXPORT_SYMBOL
    0xe47f7293 tifm_remove_adapter drivers/misc/tifm_core EXPORT_SYMBOL
    I tried a reboot and all the modprobe's with tifm7xx1, tifm_core, mmc_core, mmc_block and tifm_sd. Last one didn't work.

moritz@Mumpitz:~$ lsmod | grep tifm
    tifm_7xx1 8960 0
    tifm_core 11396 1 tifm_7xx1
    moritz@Mumpitz:~$ lsmod | grep mmc
    mmc_core 26756 0
    These modules are autoloaded on boot. I have no entry in the modprobe.conf. I'm loading the modules manually.

I'm trying to mount an Sony ms card form my mobile phone. I have no SD card to try,

Following devices from TI are listet:

08:03.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller
    08:03.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments PCIxx12 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    08:03.2 Mass storage controller: Texas Instruments 5-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO/xD)
    I'm using the 2.6.20-15-generic Kernel from the repositories

br

M.
    Last edited by Nonsenseproteine; April 26th, 2007 at 06:58 PM. Reason: forgot something

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast