Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Learning german

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Learning german

Hey everyone

I was interested in learning german independently without any teachers or anything like that but I was curious as to how to go about it. If anyone has a suggestion it would be very highly appreciated.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Learning german

the best and most effective way to learn a new language is to live in the country where its spoken natively for a while. however, thats not always the most practical option for most.

you could try one of those audio tapes, but i don't know how effective they are.
    WARNING FOR THOSE NEW TO LINUX: NEVER use a command given to you before asking and knowing exactly what it does.

Beans
    Hidden!

Get a german girlfriend/boyfriend, just kidding, try searching torrents, I recall seeing some language instruction stuff there, was looking for spanish.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexNumber View Post
    the best and most effective way to learn a new language is to live in the country where its spoken natively for a while. however, thats not always the most practical option for most.

you could try one of those audio tapes, but i don't know how effective they are.
    I'm trying the next best thing... working on a project where everyone else is in Germany... even then though they all speak great english and I am totally lost in German right now.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Damn.. zub beat me to the punch.

Best option IS the long haired dictionary! lol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    I'm trying the next best thing... working on a project where everyone else is in Germany... even then though they all speak great english and I am totally lost in German right now.
    that would probably be good too.

just thought of another idea. become active on a german forum. you'll be surprised at just how much improvement you can gain. you'll also be conversing with (mostly) native german folk, so you'll get to know the language the way its written/spoken in germany, including al the slang and the nuances of the language.
    you'll still need to work on pronunciation and such like though, but maybe you could try some other interactive medium.
    WARNING FOR THOSE NEW TO LINUX: NEVER use a command given to you before asking and knowing exactly what it does.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexNumber View Post
    that would probably be good too.

just thought of another idea. become active on a german forum. you'll be surprised at just how much improvement you can gain. you'll also be conversing with (mostly) native german folk, so you'll get to know the language the way its written/spoken in germany, including al the slang and the nuances of the language.
    you'll still need to work on pronunciation and such like though, but maybe you could try some other interactive medium.
    The main problem with that would be that I speak NO german at all as of now.

Beans

I suggest that you start off slow with online guides for a few months. During that time, listen to German online radio or videos to get a feel for the language. Then keep developing your vocabulary through websites or forums for German speakers. It would also be great to practice conversing with someone irl that's speaking the language or learning it too. Just don't go too fast.

Beans
    Hidden!

As an Englander living in Germany I can recommend:

1. Linkword - This system will help build a vocabulary, but won't do anything for your Grammar.
    2. Watch DVDs in German or in English with German subtitles (have a look on the back of the box to see what languages are available).
    3. Listen to German Radio over the internet.
    4. Move to Germany!
    Last edited by Titus A Duxass; April 24th, 2007 at 10:50 AM.
    Never eat more than you can lift!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Well... I suppose you could try talking with a really, really bad fake German accent. That'll get you half-way there, no?

"Vhat are you vhating vor? Zee trouble is zhat you don't try hard enough! LOS!"

Oh, and listen to LOTS OF RAMMSTEIN!!!

I'll let myself out....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast