Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Install Fest

Beans

Re: Install Fest

Quote Originally Posted by phr0ze View Post
    It seemed to not find profile data on my computer at first, but a few minutes and a list appeared. If I wasn't patient I would have clicked next without waiting.

This is what I did, The machine I upgraded was used by my wife and son. Neither of them are geeky. Something that surprised me is my wife sat down on that machine for the first time since I switched it. I only told her I reloaded the machine. She doesn't know anything about Linux but she sat down and started using it without flinching. I expected her to at least say 'What the hell is this', or 'Where do I find...'. Granted she only needed to use Firefox, but still.
    I should be doing the same in a couple of weeks (Installing a dual boot machine for a novice). I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

What kind of equipment and supplies will we need?

We should have CD's of course. Are we able to get official CDs, or should we look into burning our own?
    We will need lots of power strips for the computers.
    We will need Cat5 Cable, a switch and a way to connect that to the internet.
    Are we going to have the monitor,keyboard and mouse or should they bring their own? In any case we should have at least one table with an open monitor/keyboard/mouse and KVM. I can bring all of this if needed.
    If we provide the monitors, we should have some which support DVI or a DVI to VGA adapter.
    Finally we should have a set of headphones just to test the soundcards before they take the PC home.

Any other suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by phr0ze View Post
    What kind of equipment and supplies will we need?

We should have CD's of course. Are we able to get official CDs, or should we look into burning our own?
    We will need lots of power strips for the computers.
    We will need Cat5 Cable, a switch and a way to connect that to the internet.
    Are we going to have the monitor,keyboard and mouse or should they bring their own? In any case we should have at least one table with an open monitor/keyboard/mouse and KVM. I can bring all of this if needed.
    If we provide the monitors, we should have some which support DVI or a DVI to VGA adapter.
    Finally we should have a set of headphones just to test the soundcards before they take the PC home.

Any other suggestions?
    I'm trying to get some Feisty CDs for the group through ShipIt. As we are an unapproved group we're not entitled to them.

Power strips/cat5/switch/internet we will be touching base with Luis to see what the library has available and then we'll put out the call for more as needed.

Keyboard/mouse/monitor should be brought by the users just so we can have the best representation of their home system. However we should be able to get some stations available to be plugged into if they just bring their tower.

And i agree with the adapter and headset comments.

Beans
    Distro

I thought of one more thing. We should have a linux compatable USB Ethernet or Wifi adapter in case someone comes with a PC which only has dial up. I have a wireless adapter at home I can try on fiesty to see what happens.

Did I ask which version of Ubuntu we will be offering? I think it will help us all (simplify) if we just offer one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

If you could check on the wireless adaptor that would be great. I might be able to scrounge up a NIC for use but I hate to start cracking open people's PCs in such an enviornment.

As for the version my suggestion is to recommend Ubuntu 7.04, but have the alternate, server, X/K/Ubuntu's availible for those that want the choice. From my perspective of those that I've gotten to try Ubuntu they tend to be happiest off the start with Ubuntu. Some like the looks of KDE but tend to get overwhelmed with choices, and Xubuntu is a bit more stripped down than what most people prefer.

Also we can install multiple environments for those with enough diskspace if they chose to.

I'll probably bring along some of the 6.06 LTS disks/images for those few that would be interested in the support aspect.

*As for scheduling this, I'm waiting back on an email I sent to Luis about room availiblity.

Beans

I just received my 7.04 Shippit CDs--I can't believe how professional they look! I have two copies of the 32-bit Live CDs and one copy of the 64-bit Live CD.

Beans
    Distro

I will either get my adapter working or I will buy an appropriate adapter. np.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12