Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Bootup splash screen with splashy

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: HOWTO: Bootup splash screen with splashy

Okay, fresh install of Hoary fixed the OpenGL performance problems I had.

However, I'm also getting that same bail-out-of-splash-at-70% problem described here with 0.1.3 of splashy, and the fix on that post doesn't seem to work. Going back to 0.1-5 causes splashy to screw up, and I don't want to upgrade libc just to use 0.1.5. Anybody else suffer this problem and/or have an answer?
    What's wrong with closed and open source co-exisiting?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by NeoChaosX
    Okay, fresh install of Hoary fixed the OpenGL performance problems I had.

However, I'm also getting that same bail-out-of-splash-at-70% problem described here with 0.1.3 of splashy, and the fix on that post doesn't seem to work. Going back to 0.1-5 causes splashy to screw up, and I don't want to upgrade libc just to use 0.1.5. Anybody else suffer this problem and/or have an answer?
    Hi.
    What do you mean when you say: "0.1-5 causes splashy to screw up"?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jr0
    Just out of curiosity.. If we ALL seem to want this feature, and Ubuntu LiveCD seems to include it...why isn't it "preinstalled" ?
    Because I don't want to use it. I like to see what's going on. As do a lot of other linux-users I can assure you.

I AM using the vga=792 mode in menu.lst though so I can have my entire bootup procedure on one screen, but I wouldn't use a splash screen myself, basically because it happened to often to me that Windows just stopped loading and I didn't know what's going on. At least with Linux, you can see what is going on, or at least where it is stopping.

I've heard people mention splash screens will be included in Breezy. That's fine with me, since lots of people seem to like them, but I'd like a way to turn them off.
    You should try booting in 1024x768. I use text-mode quite a lot and it looks a lot better that way.

That said, I have installed this on my GF's box and she seems to like it a lot.
    A minor problem though: every 20 boots the / partition gets a check. Somewhat depending on the size and speed of the drive, this can take quite a while. With a splash screen you can't see what's going on, and you're just wondering what the thing is doing for 10 minutes. (I know, I know, you can make it go away by hitting ESC, but still)

Just my 2c
    "Windows is something to overcome"

Howto's by me:
    Tweak firefox! (URL now works..)
    Backup/Restore your system!
    Avoid having to reboot

Compentux.org
    , the Linux Tip & Howto gathering initiative!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hi Heliode.
    I think that You are not well informed, let's talk.
    On Windows you don't have the feature to choose if you want a graphical boot or not and you will never know what windows does while it's booting (but it's not true if you are a microsoft employer).
    I use Linux (and not windows either Mac even if it is a bsd derivate) because I can choose and I'm developing upower to give to the linux users the ability to choose.
    We don't hate the normal boot system, but we know that for the 90% of the time we boot our system it's unuseful.. why? because it's ever the same (ever the same sarvices that run correctly). So why not make it eye-candy? Upower will ever go to the standard and loved "normal mode" (verbose mode) when it reachs an error (Reading the terminal) or if you press F2 or ESC. And... with upower you can install and remove the program (and themes in future) with just an apt-get.

Probably not any bootsplash system will be included in Breezy, Why? because for now there is not a good system that does it work very well.

Thanks...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Goshawk
    Hi.
    What do you mean when you say: "0.1-5 causes splashy to screw up"?
    It was previously not showing a splash and giving me errors about how it couldn't find the splashy executable during boot-up.

Then I figured out I had to install a couple other dependencies, and now splashy 0.1-5 works just fine, and doesn't bail out early.
    What's wrong with closed and open source co-exisiting?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

NeoChaosX can you be more precise about htese dependencies? (how many? what?)
    Upower is going to be relased very soon, so more detail you wil explain about your problem and we will find a better way to solve those.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Goshawk, when you google for splashy you first come across http://alioth.debian.org/projects/splashy/ which links to http://splashy.alioth.debian.org/wiki which doesn't exist... (should be http://splashy.alioth.debian.org/ ???) And then there is http://nanofreesoft.org/ where all images are broken... A little bit confusing alltogether...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm still not the admin of Splashy (yes i was).
    The new project admin uses alioth for his development and he set up a wiki for splashy that now seems to be broken. I don't know why and it's not my job.

nanofreesoft.org is accessible, i connected to it one minute ago and it works correctly but yesterday for a power cut here in Sicily we were offline for 2 hours.
    Btw on nanofreesoft.org you will not found information about splashy.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Question Re: HOWTO: Bootup splash screen with splashy

Question: I roll my own kernel. Is there any kernel patch involved in getting this to work? Is bootsplash or fbsplash applied to default ubuntu sources?
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

AFAIK, it works without kernel patches, that is what's great about it compared to other bootup splash programs. You just have to make sure you have a framebuffer in your kernel, or initrd
    Computer science has as much to do with computers as astronomy has to do with telescopes.
    - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Intangible's Desktop

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast