Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Psychocats Tutorials Updates

For New Users:
    The Psychocats site is a great site for new users to explore. It uses a combination of terminal commands and screenshot-heavy point-and-click tutorials to help get you up and running with Ubuntu, and it addresses many common questions and problems newcomers have when starting with Ubuntu.

Psychocats isn't intended to compete with other documentation sites. Its goal is to give a uniform look and feel for several key tutorials and, more importantly, not to overwhelm or confuse new users with too many tutorials in hard-to-find places. Each tutorial addresses a common Ubuntu question, and all the internal links are on the sidebar.

If you're interested in a more comprehensive set of tutorials, especially ones aimed at advanced or intermediate use (or just anything not covered on my site--for example, how to use ndiswrapper), you may want to check out the Tutorials & Tips section of these forums, or the official community-maintained documentation.

For Other Users:
    Thank you for all your help so far!

Users on these forums have caught typos and other errors and kept me abreast of changes in versions of software I don't use (e.g. Songbird). Some users have even contributed whole paragraphs to the Psychocats tutorials, and I've tried to credit them appropriately.

Working with Psychocats:
    I've had numerous requests asking if people can link to or translate the Psychocats Ubuntu website. The answer is yes. You can link to Psychocats without asking my permission. If you want to translate Psychocats Ubuntu, you may do that as well (please let me know, though--I'm just curious to know what's going on), and I encourage spreading the knowledge. I haven't officially licensed the documentation, but the closest I've found to what I'd say embodies the spirit with which I'm giving Psychocats Ubuntu to the community is the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 license . If you would like to mirror Psychocats, you may do so, but please send me a link to the mirrored site, so I can know to refer people there also.

Future Updates and Feedback:
    If you have any constructive criticism, please leave it in this thread. I'll be checking back from time to time. I devote a lot of time to the Ubuntu community and to these forums, especially, but this is not my main job. So go ahead and leave any suggestions you may have, but I may not get around to implementing them right away (or at all, depending on how good the suggestion is).

If the Psychocats website has helped you, you can post that here, too. It's always good to know what people have found helpful, and which pages are most frequently used by people.
    Last edited by aysiu; September 12th, 2008 at 11:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

Excellent. Thanks, aysiu.
    Gandhi once said: "We must be the change we wish to see in the world."
    So you want a separate /home partition?|Ubuntu World Map|Linux IS NOT Windows

Beans

Great work

I've got it linked it in my sig for others to stumble across

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Re: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

i started to use ubuntu with psychocats tutorials it's nice to see new version of it. i2ll probably use it when i'll upgrade to feisty fawn. thank you again

Those tutorials are real handy. Sometimes, I can find out about things I did not know about.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thank you Aysiu for the tutorial update. Your efforts are very much appreciated. Don't know what we would do without your Psychocats website. its now a standard Ubuntu reference

Beans

The tutorial for obtaining Adobe/Macromedia's Flashplayer bypasses the mechanism whereby the user is presented with the terms of its End User Licensing Agreement. Perhaps the installation process offers the opportunity to accept or reject those terms but Adobe's website suggests that the EULA is accepted by the act of downloading.

Since some may find the terms of the EULA to be unacceptable (particularly businesses or "organizations"), it would probably be safest if a link to the EULA's terms were mentioned in the tutorial before downloading takes place.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi aysiu

You have helped me a lot; even without knowing You site is great, and I like to hear that you still work on it. Thank you for your work, its appreciated.

any constructive criticism, please leave it in this thread.
    I belive I do; I followed your guide on installing KDE on top of GNOME(with Dapper Drake), but didn’t know that a lot of KDE programs would bee installed within my GNOME menu, or that my log in/out would thereafter be KDE. My suggestion is that you put a warning at the top of the tutorial so people understand it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Great to hear, folks.

Thanks for the suggestions and the positive feedback, too.
    Last edited by aysiu; April 21st, 2007 at 06:43 PM.

Beans

Hey thanks for your excellent guides aisyu. They helped me a lot when I converted from Win a year ago

I did a little introduction post/tread in the tech section on a much used local language general purpose forum, where I linked to your site:
    http://www.kjak.fo/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5374

Doing that was much more time effective for me, compared to if I had to write everything about how to install and run Ubuntu in my post myself. Pluss your site is much better than anything I would be able to do. I really think you site helps people.

Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast