Page 25 of 68 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

Beans

Re: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

Used the minimal tutorial to install jaunty and Gnome-core, thanks for a great tutorial. Sadly, after i 'built back up' the system, I'm back up to 900+ packages .
    machine is VERY peppy though, and I learnt a lot. Think the minimal will become my tradition...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi!
    Tried to follow this quide with the new 9.04 release
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal

And it doesn't seem to work any longer.

With 8.04 you could install a minimal (command-line) version of ubuntu with these mini.iso:s (without internet connection),
    But the 9.04 version wont install anything without downloading from the internet (I didn't finish the install), and when it installs from the internet I think you will get the whole gnome (which sucks with an old and slow machine with modest specks..)

DO you know if it is still possible to do minimal install without internet connection? Are there any other mini.iso:s available?

(Ofcourse I could install from 8.04:s mini.iso and then upgrade it, but the upgrade would remove wvdial, which I need. And would I have to upgrade from 8.40->8.10->9.04?)

EDIT: sorry. Just re-read the webpage, and noticed that you dont actually instruct to install without internet connection.
    But would still be nice to know what does the installer install? Do you get the whole gnome-desktop with the mini.iso now?
    Last edited by anaconda; May 8th, 2009 at 01:09 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I installed with the mini.iso for Jaunty not too long ago. Yes, it does (like the earlier installers) need an internet connection, as there's no way a 10 MB file will contain the necessary packages for even a minimal installation.

And, no, you do not have to install all of Gnome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I used your Mini-Iso tutorial and it was EXACTLY what I was looking for. I have been using Crunchbang but it was more fulfilling to do it on my own. For the other user, it installed jaunty just fine over the internet.

While the IceWM is nice and lean, I can't for the life of me figure out how to modify the resolution. It seems like its defaulting to 640x480 and that is just not enough real estate for Firefox. I can't find a tab or application devoted to "appearance" like in regular ubuntu.

Beans

You've got a dead link in your "Installing Software in Ubuntu" guide, located at http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftwareold.

The link is named "a guide on how to use Synaptic Package Manager (complete with screenshots)" and points to http://www.monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing.
    MonkeyBlog.org, regardless of whatever it was before, is now a parked domain with no useful content.

Fortunately, the web archive has a copy of the page from feb 2008. Not sure if this was the latest version, but the author's email address is in there as well.

The web archive's copy is at http://tinyurl.com/oj3oqg.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It should be fixed now. Good catch.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks so much for the tutorials.
    They have been most helpful.
    I especially liked the KDE Gnome comarison.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

A suggestion for a possible new tutorial - Update Manager.

This is probably outside of scope for a brand new user, and I did not find it in this thread.

And maybe a statement about clean install vs. upgrades for releases?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I think Update Manager's pretty straightforward. Was there something in particular you thought new users might need help with there?

In terms of clean installs v. upgrades, I'm not sure what to recommend. In the old days, I'd always recommend a clean install, but I've been doing upgrades for the past several releases and not encountered many problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

From Gnome/KDE comparison:

It used to be so simple (in older versions of KDE) to change it so the panel was on the top instead of the bottom. I can't find that option anywhere. What does screen edge mean as a setting?
    That option you can't find anywhere? Thats what 'screen edge' does.
    What does screen edge mean as a setting? Thats that option you can't find anywhere.

Page 25 of 68 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast