Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

I'll have a look. Thanks, OrangeCrate.

Beans

Regarding your page on iTunes:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/itunes

What about running iTunes in a virtualized version of Windows or OS X, with something like VMware or VirtualBox? I realize this is not for the faint of heart. But hypothetically speaking, wouldn't it allow you to have iTunes effectively running within a window in your Ubuntu system? So then you wouldn't have to dual-boot. That might be a solution for someone who really wants to have access to the iTunes download services.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cb474 View Post
    Regarding your page on iTunes:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/itunes

What about running iTunes in a virtualized version of Windows or OS X, with something like VMware or VirtualBox? I realize this is not for the faint of heart. But hypothetically speaking, wouldn't it allow you to have iTunes effectively running within a window in your Ubuntu system? So then you wouldn't have to dual-boot. That might be a solution for someone who really wants to have access to the iTunes download services.
    I think I've already mentioned that:
    If you must run iTunes, your best bet is a dual boot. This means you have to reboot your computer every time you want to access iTunes and then reboot your computer again if you want to use Ubuntu. Two slightly more convenient variations of this are running virtual Ubuntu inside Windows using VMWare (or running virtual Windows inside Ubuntu using VMWare) or having two computers and a KVM switch that allows you to quickly switch back and forth between Windows and Ubuntu using the same monitor and keyboard.

All of those are workarounds.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Psychocats Tutorials

Hi Aysiu,

I successfully created a separate Home partition following your tutorial.
    I had to use sudo find at the back-up and move stage, but apart from that everything worked for me. Very clear and easy to follow.

I'll be checking out your Back-up tutorial next.

Thanks, much appreciated from a noob like me.

Beans

Hi,

thank you for that. Found a dead link so:

What other Ubuntu resources are there?
    I'd highly recommend these links:
    The Ubuntu Forums
    Ubuntu Knowledge
    The Ubuntu Guide

Here the "Ubuntu Knowledge" Link goes nowhere.

You might want to revisit that one.

Greetings

longtom

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah, the link looks dead. That's a shame. I've taken it out now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Hello aysiu! On this page here, I think it might be easier if you used aptitude to remove the desktops. It would work no matter what version you were running too.
    Code:
    sudo aptitude remove kubuntu-desktop
    You probably know this WAY better than me, but that would work because aptitude can keep track of metapackages and remove them without trouble.

Just thought I'd pass that along. Thanks for the great site!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaRL View Post
    Hello aysiu! On this page here, I think it might be easier if you used aptitude to remove the desktops. It would work no matter what version you were running too.
    Code:
    sudo aptitude remove kubuntu-desktop
    You probably know this WAY better than me, but that would work because aptitude can keep track of metapackages and remove them without trouble.

Just thought I'd pass that along. Thanks for the great site!
    On my old pages, I used to recommend aptitude, but it works only if you used aptitude to install the package in the first place, and aptitude can also be funkily over-aggressive in removing packages and remove too much; so I took it out. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hello Aysiu,

I have recently installed the Kubuntu desktop in Ubuntu as per your instructions. One of the points you make is that the applications menus become infested with the programs from the alternate desktop. I have recently come across an article in Softpedia which has an idea to tidy that up.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...0-106118.shtml

If you scroll towards the end of the article it recommends a couple of little programs which sorts this out by putting all the KDE or Gnome launchers (depending on which desktop you are using) together in one sub menu. I have tried them, they work well and it makes the applications menu much tidier.

The article also suggests using Startupmanager to enable you to change the splashscreen back to Ubuntu (is you wish), as installing the KDE desktop overwrites the Ubuntu splashscreen.

Hope this helps.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by OldGrey View Post
    Hello Aysiu,

I have recently installed the Kubuntu desktop in Ubuntu as per your instructions. One of the points you make is that the applications menus become infested with the programs from the alternate desktop. I have recently come across an article in Softpedia which has an idea to tidy that up.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...0-106118.shtml

If you scroll towards the end of the article it recommends a couple of little programs which sorts this out by putting all the KDE or Gnome launchers (depending on which desktop you are using) together in one sub menu. I have tried them, they work well and it makes the applications menu much tidier.

The article also suggests using Startupmanager to enable you to change the splashscreen back to Ubuntu (is you wish), as installing the KDE desktop overwrites the Ubuntu splashscreen.

Hope this helps.
    Now - this is a neat old trick indeed!!

Thank you!

longtom

Page 23 of 68 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast