Page 14 of 68 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

Beans

Re: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

Just want to mention that the link 'this', the last word in the introduction of the 'create separate home partition', doesn't work anymore.
    Disclaimer: I am currently suffering from severe CSD (Compulsive Sarcasm Disorder).
    My Site | Linux User #452328 | Running Arch Linux on Sony Vaio VGN-SZ61XN/C since October 2008

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Nepherte View Post
    Just want to mention that the link 'this', the last word in the introduction of the 'create separate home partition', doesn't work anymore.
    Thanks for letting me know. I've fixed it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

In your UbuntuCat Blog, whenever the Month is cliked a 404 error comes.
    eg. When I click August 2008, a 404 error comes.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Anurag_panda View Post
    In your UbuntuCat Blog, whenever the Month is cliked a 404 error comes.
    eg. When I click August 2008, a 404 error comes.
    Thanks for pointing that out. That'll be a little bit trickier for me to fix. I'll have to look at the PHP code carefully, but I'm on it...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out. That'll be a little bit trickier for me to fix. I'll have to look at the PHP code carefully, but I'm on it...
    I think it would be better while you work on it, to just keep it as text and not as link, if it is possible that is.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have been using your site for quite a while now. I would like to thank you for the help that it has given me and, in turn, the help it has given others whom I have helped with informations and tips gleaned from your site. Thanks!

Lukjad007
    Another round of Ubuntu for my friends here!
    Fighting to bring Pink back to The Pink Ponies archive.
    DELETE INSANITY!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Psychocats Tutorials

The site seems to be very helpful, however I think there should be some warnings when suggesting copying/pasting some code for seemingly innocent operations, especially as it's aimed at inexperienced users. I used the code in the 'pure gnome' section to remove my kubuntu desktop and then experienced some moments of sheer terror as I saw half of my carefully accumulated software collection disappear. Why are programs such as Blender, VLC, Audacity (to mention but a few) removed - they are not specifically KDE? I lost most of my multimedia collection. Well, now I just have to search all the repositories and websites for all the programs, hoping I'll remember all the names.
    Sorry for this sour note, I appreciate all the unpaid effort of people in the open source community, but you can understand my frustration. Perhaps I should have just 'played it safe' and left the unused KDE desktop alone instead of experimenting.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The reasons why they were removed (I think) is that they were dependent on the KDE. With KDE gone, they weren't usable so they were removed too.
    I could be wrong but that is my understanding.
    Another round of Ubuntu for my friends here!
    Fighting to bring Pink back to The Pink Ponies archive.
    DELETE INSANITY!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Removing an entire desktop environment isn't any less simple than reinstalling VLC or Audacity is.

The fact is that if packages are removed, they can just as easily be reinstalled, and none of your settings will be gone.

What kind of warning would be suitable? You really can't know what's going to happen until you run the command, and I don't want to warn people off, when really nothing terrible is going to happen.

I will say that the command to remove all the KDE stuff comes from a default Ubuntu installation and takes into account all the packages adding kubuntu-desktop would bring with it. The second half of the command also makes sure you still have ubuntu-desktop installed so that you're not stuck at a command prompt in case something goes wrong.

I took a quick look at man apt-get and didn't see anything like this, but does anyone know if there's an option that is the opposite of --force-yes? In other words, an option that would force dpkg to ask for confirmation of changes before you go through with the removal?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I just tried it out myself and was prompted as to whether I wanted the packages removed or not:
    Code:
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      audacity ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly icewm
      imlib11 kdelibs-data kdelibs4c2a kolourpaint krename libarts1c2a libartsc0
      libaudio2 libavahi-qt3-1 libid3tag0 libimlib2 libjpeg-progs liblua50
      liblualib50 libmodplug0c2 libmpcdec3 libopenexr2c2a libpulse0 libqt3-mt
      libungif4g libxvmc1 mozilla-mplayer mplayer mplayer-fonts
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 29 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0B of archives.
    After unpacking 110MB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
    Abort.
    I was able to say I did not want to continue after seeing what packages would be removed. I don't really see a problem.

Are others not being prompted for a confirmation?

Page 14 of 68 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast