Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ZDNet says "Linux Desktop is Dead"!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Silicon CIO Jury: The Linux desktop is dead!

Check this link out: http://www.silicon.com/ciojury/0,380...9163932,00.htm. I feel so sad since very few CIOs trust in the future of Linux desktop. This will definitely make our fight against M$ on corporate battle harder, no, much harder, actually!
    Last edited by DC@DR; November 8th, 2006 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Changed title
    .:.:.[)[@[)|2.:.:.
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side-effect." -- Linus Torvald.

Re: CIO Jury: The Linux desktop is dead!

Bah. Somehow a jury that includes the head of IT for Amtrak doesn't hold much water for me.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

it doesn't tell you why it is dead ... he says "you have too many options..."

linux users are still growing in number and a project like ubuntu is taking thousands of people to linux...i don't think it is dead, maybe it isn't shiny and not so advertised as Mac and MS do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

But CIOs do control the IT budgets for corporates...One thing I agree with those guys in the article is that Linux is somehow too fragemented, IMHO. I wish all Linux developers can come and join together to work on just ONE distribution, and that distro can be shipped with both KDE & GNOME as default options. I think it's because of we have too many distros, giant vendors like Dell or HP don't know which is the best distro they should preinstall as OEM. . I know GNU/Linux, FOSS are all about FREE choices, but it will make us stronger as a whole community then being fragmented as it is now...
    Last edited by DC@DR; November 8th, 2006 at 05:52 PM.
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side-effect." -- Linus Torvald.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DC@DR View Post
    But CIOs do control the IT budgets for corporates...One thing I agree with those guys in the article is that Linux is somehow too fragemented, IMHO. I wish all Linux developers can come and join together to work on just ONE distribution, and that distro can be shipped with both KDE & GNOME as default options. I think it's because of we have too many distros, giants vendors like Dell or HP doesn't know which is the best distro they should preinstall as OEM. . I know GNU/Linux, FOSS are all about FREE choices, but it will make us stronger as a whole community then being fragmented as it is now...
    Uhh...I don't see how. Linux thrives on innovation - That would put a significant damper on that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The community isn't fragmented it's just free, and freedom produces these kinds of results. without many projects doing the same thing you'd never get the best results.

We're not windows we're not attempting to make one unified desktop. we're a group of people all using similar technoledgies. because these people can't think in terms of standards, protocols, formats etc. freedom has never stoped the server side getting together all it took was down stream zippers.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMO View Post
    The community isn't fragmented it's just free, and freedom produces these kinds of results. without many projects doing the same thing you'd never get the best results.

We're not windows we're not attempting to make one unified desktop. we're a group of people all using similar technoledgies. because these people can't think in terms of standards, protocols, formats etc. freedom has never stoped the server side getting together all it took was down stream zippers.
    Amen!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

That article may be true in the UK & US but I think you'll see a big impact from the supposed "third world". To me, it looks like China, Brazil, India, etc. are going to push Linux very hard at both the server and desktop level and the rest of the world is going to be playing catch-up.
    Windows is easier than Linux, just like crapping your pants is easier than going to the bathroom. DR_K13

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Linux on the server is still growing. As long is it continues to do so versus paying $1,115.00 for a Windows server license, I'm happy...

see!

Registered Linux User #419773, Ubuntu User #8473 ("It Is What It Is")

If you type rm -Rf / as root at command line you will get herpes... then die... (okay, it'll erase ALL your data)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Anyway, I think Ubuntu is going to the right direction, it focuses on the desktop market and tries to make end-user life as easy as possible. That's why it keeps staying No.1 Desktop Linux distro and I respect what Ubuntu devs are offering the Linux community now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast