Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interested in helping out an open source game project?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Talking Interested in helping out an open source game project?

Pardon the shameless self-advertisement, but I wanted to first inform my fellow Ubuntu users about a game that I am working on, and see if I can't get some people interested enough to help.

Game Name
    Hero of Allacrost

Brief Description
    Hero of Allacrost is a single-player, 2D RPG. The game is modeled after SNES-era RPGs like Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger, but we have implemented our own flair of modern features and graphics. We are a well-established project and have been around since June 2004.

Target Aim
    Allacrost is cross-platform and is available on all flavors of Linux, Windows, Mac OSX, FreeBSD and whatever else we can get it to compile on in the future. It is also designed to support multiple languages, from English to Portugese to Japanese. We are aiming for as broad of a target audience as possible, and hope that people from all walks can enjoy this game. This game will be of special interest to those who favor a strong gameplay and story more than realistic 3D graphics and physics. Additionally, the game is not-for-profit and open-source, licensed under the GPL.

Compensation
    Because we will not collect any revenue for this game, we cannot offer you financial compensation. However, all of the current staff are quite content with putting forth their efforts into what we believe will someday be a great game to share. Your full name will appear in the game credits.

Team Structure
    Our team is composed of both "staff" and "contributors". The staff are the core group that drives development, coordinate efforts, and take responsibility for getting things done. Contributors, on the other hand, are people who simply help out with small tasks when they have the bandwidth and interest. Because we are an indie project that does not compensate financially, some staff may be on extended periods of down-time when they get busy with real-life. Thus, it is quite difficult to gauge how structured our team truly is, but as far as our staff goes we have about 10 active members at the moment, with another 8 or so on leave. See the list of game credits and also the peopled involved page on our wiki for more information.

As for myself, I am the founder and lead developer of Allacrost, and I've been working on it since June 2004. I have coded a large part of the engine myself and I also write the story that the game follows. I dabble in creating artwork from time to time as well.

Technology
    We don't have any requirements for artists, musicians, or developers to use any specific tools, as long as it gets the job done. Our programming staff concurrently develop on Linux, Windows, and OS X and Hero of Allacrost presently runs on all three of these platforms. The game engine for Allacrost is written from scratch. Allacrost currently uses the following languages, libraries, and APIs:

• Programming Language: C++
    • Scripting Lanuguage: Lua (and luabind for binding C++ and Lua together)
    • Low-level system library: SDL
    • Graphics rendering library: OpenGL
    • Image libraries: libpng, libjpeg
    • Audio library: SDL_mixer (to be replaced with OpenAL and libogg/libvorbis)
    • Text rendering library: SDL_ttf
    • GUI library (for map editor only): QT4

Links

Media

Screenshots

Character Portraits

Game Graphics

Music

Release

-------------------------------------------

As you can see, we've made pretty good progress and the game both looks and sounds pretty great so far. We're actually really close to getting a second version of our demo released, which is going to be better than the first by leaps and bounds. Our game engine (which is written completely from scratch) is finally maturing and our integrating scripting is beginning to be used more and more as well. But, our progress in the coding region has been not so good lately, so I'm hoping we can get some more people willing to help us out.

Like many of you here, I'm disappointed with the spare amount of games available on Linux, which is the major reason why I started the Allacrost project in the first place. I am hoping that the code in this game can be reused by others to help expedite the creation of more open source games. I'm pretty proud of our engine, and our code is very well documented so its not too difficult to figure out how it works. I've taken a look at the code of a couple other open source games and it was so sloppy and undocumented that I just didn't even want to bother with it. We could also use a helping hand in various areas of development. If you're interested in helping out, you can fill out an application here. (We try to keep our development door only half-open, because too many cooks in the kitchen leads to disaster in a project like this).

• We'd need some programmers who can make some serious contributions. We keep an ad-hoc "to-do" list in our wiki right here, and also have an active bug tracker, so that can give you an idea of where we need help. The game's editor needs the most work at the moment.
    • We have code documentation on our wiki that could really use a face lift (unfortunately, our programming team is already too busy just from working on the code). If you're wanting to learn how our code works (and help us out at the same time), or if you don't have a lot of coding experience, this might be something you'd be interested in.
    • Committed artists are always difficult to find and keep, so we are always in need of more artists on our team. The artwork has always lagged behind the other areas of development. Even if you think your artwork isn't up to par with what we have, don't worry. We help our new artists learn how to make art this good.
    • Our website (which uses Drupal) needs a lot of work, as several things are broken as a result of our slick looking theme. We'd also like to add several features to the site.

Phew. Well, please share your comments/opinions/questions in this thread. I'd love to have some discussion in here about the game with interested parties. Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by RootsLINUX; April 21st, 2007 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Entire post wasn't visible for some reason
    Hero of Allacrost, an open-source, classical 2D role-playing game. Check us out!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Interested in helping out an open source game project?

Making a quick post on UGA about this and linking to this thread. ^_^

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Wow, thanks! That banner you made looks really nice too.
    Hero of Allacrost, an open-source, classical 2D role-playing game. Check us out!

Beans

I'll put an installation guide together for ubuntu-users (for the demo 1 release).
    | AMD Ryzen 1700x 3.4 GHz | ASUS PRIME X370-A | 32 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 |
    | ASUS Nvidia 1070 8 GB | SSD 250 GB | HDD 1 TB |

My favourite place of all, is the closet in the hall

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by RootsLINUX View Post
    Wow, thanks! That banner you made looks really nice too.

Np, and I'm glad you like the banner.

AI floggs me if I don't make good banners, and aside from that you folks had enough good quality images scattered about your site for me to create my vision.

Beans

Aye, Hika gets beaten by an ugly stick

Hero of Allacrost Installation guide added to our Game Installation guides; http://gaming.gwos.org/e107_plugins/...php?content.70

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Install guide looks great AI. One thing: for the launcher icon you may want to use this instead:

http://cia.vc/images/db/37/3.png

That's our official large icon logo.

Beans

okay thanks, will change it.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Awesome game...can't wait to see it develop into something really unique. Attacking different parts of the body is what already sets this game apart from all other rpgs i've played!

Awesome how-to on the UGA too!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by slayerboy View Post
    Awesome game...can't wait to see it develop into something really unique. Attacking different parts of the body is what already sets this game apart from all other rpgs i've played!
    Thanks for the compliment, I can't wait to play the game too.

You might be interesting to know that the multiple attack points feature is an idea that I came up with when I was 13 years old and wanted to become a game designer someday (I'm 24 now). The main plot of the story (a young knight given the quest to find the legendary hero to save the world) was also something I thought of when I was 13. I still have the original notebook where I wrote these ideas down.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast