View Poll Results: How's Fiesty working for you?

Voters
1389. You may not vote on this poll
  • I upgraded to Feisty and everything is fine.

309 22.25%
  • I upgraded. Had a few problems (drivers, hardware, etc) but got them fixed.

169 12.17%
  • I upgraded. Had/Still having a lot of problems

205 14.76%
  • I did a clean install and everything is fine.

336 24.19%
  • Did clean install. Had a few problems (drivers, hardware, etc) but got them fixed.

152 10.94%
  • Did clean install. Had/Still having a lot of problems.

218 15.69%
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Feisty Poll

Beans

Re: Fiesty Poll

I have very little problems after an update using the alternate cd method my probs are listed here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=415188 and if anyone bothers to take a look I will be glas.

Anyway I think the upgrade process is getting better with each relaese. And feisty looks very good in overall. A lot of polishment has been done on gnome side.

Beans

Sadly I clean installed Feisty on a Vista/Edgy dual boot machine, and my Feisty partition refuses to finish booting. Still waiting for a reply to my problem thread. Sorry, I have to vote for clean install with major problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I learned several very important things last night:

1) If you have a highly customized install (or in my case, I had upgraded 6.06.1->6.10) the upgrade may very well fail.
    2) They say to keep /home on a separate partition for a reason.
    3) A fresh install can be really frustrating once you realize how little is there by default compared to what you had before.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

My WiFi card dont work on festy clean install, on Edgy worked fine.

Beans

Feisty's Ubuntu Beryl package does not support Xgl, which took me a bit to figure out. You need to force a downgrade of beryl-core.

Sound is very broken and any programs that try to play sound hang.

Network Settings hangs.

Not a good experience so far.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'm afraid that Feisty is the first ever Live CD to fail on my machine; not impressed!

It breaks down and I get the following error message:
    /bin/sh: can't access tty: Job control turned off

This is being covered with on several other threads.

Beans

I have 2 HDDs:
    1 Sata, which I use for Windows & Linux
    1 ATA, for Backup & Data

Now Feisty deceided that it should install the Bootblock to the ATA-Drive, even my Computer doesnt boots from that drive. The priority is reversed in Ubuntu compared to the Bios, so you got 2 options:

1) install GRUB to ATA, and you wont be able to boot into Linux
    2) install GRUB to SATA, and you wont be to boot into Linux or Windows (or any other OS).

Ofcourse I dint knew this and directed GRUB to the SATA-Drive. Great feeling if the only thing you can still run is the damn LiveCD. I mean its explicitely stated that detecting Bootpriority when running in Linux is unsafe! As Ubuntu is relying on it, the Installation procedure can be nothing but unsafe either, when running from LiveCD.
    Theres no warning or even a hint in case something turns out wrong, I dont consider consider that User friendly.
    How about defaulting to making a boot-floppy if the slightest chance exists that the Bootorder is guessed wrong?
    How about asking the user to specify or correct the Mapping of drives ?
    How about backing up the Bootblock to Floppy or Stick in case something goes wrong?
    Beeing pretty amateurish when it comes to Linux I had a great time fixing that mess, so consider Im pretty pissed at yesterdays installation-torture. So I voted "Clean install with a lot of problems"

Further I moved the LiveCD to USB-Stick and installed from that ( I was planning to use persistent mode, but that aint working). After installing I had an entry in fstab that prevents the USB-Stick to be mounted.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I did an upgrade from Edgy (6.10) and the only issue I had was due to a corrupt download. As soon as I cleared the apt-get cache and downloaded a clean version of the remaining updates, everything went fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Upgraded from 6.10 to 7.04; server connections were a bit flaky but I chalk that up to everyone hitting them at the same time. Once I was finally able to finish downloading the updates installation went smoothly. I had a few moments of panic when I wasn't sure how to respond to a few dialog boxes, but apparently I made the right choices because now my system appears to work better than ever.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've been trying to do a clean install and it has been so difficult that I've begun to call Feisty by a new name:

Ubuntu Vista

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast